• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HELP!! car wont start!

I drove my car back from my girlfriends this morning and everything was fine. It is pouring rain here. Anyway, I got back in to go to work and when i started the car, my foot slipped off the clutch. Of course nothing happened, but it did make a noise. No big deal, it has happened before. Anyway, I tried to start it again, and I got nothing. It turns over, but it wont fire. I tried rocking the car back and forth in gear, and rolling it in neutral to move it. Nothing made a difference. I tried for about 15 minutes. Anyway, I have had to leave it in the driveway and catch a ride to work. Anyone have suggestions, please help! This is my only car, so I need it.

Sounds like you may have a bad main fuel pump relay. If you can't hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when you turn the key to the on position that would be where I would start.

Bruce

I talked to an Acura mechanic in austin and he said i might have flooded it with fuel when i dropped the clutch. He said leave it for a few hours and it should be fine.

I will find out shortly..

Well, I left it for a few hours. It made no difference at all. Tried to start. Nothing. So I went and ate lunch, came back and told my friend about it. As soon as I tried to crank it so he could hear, it started immediately. Seems fine now. I am really confused???

Maybe when your mechanic said to leave it a few hours, guess he meant just more than a few hours. But hey it works, now, so no problems!

Dave,

I would carefully consider Bruce's advise. Maybe you should get a relay and keep in in the glovebox, just in case.

Things like this can be confusing and unpredictable.

HTH,
LarryB

Originally posted by Larry Bastanza:
I would carefully consider Bruce's advise. Maybe you should get a relay and keep in in the glovebox, just in case.

I second this. For those who are not familiar with Bruce's reputation, he has worked on NSXs for a long time. He was the chief NSX tech at a dealer for many years before he opened his own shop, Pettitt's Automotive, just north of Sacramento.

The main fuel pump relay is about $50 bucks. I got mine at asian-auto-parts.com. The guys name is Dave, and he is always VERY VERY quick getting the parts to me.
Regards
Z

You can read about troubleshooting the main fuel pump relay on pages 11-103 through 11-105 of the '91 service manual.

Well, its dead again. It worked pefect all the rest of the day. started fine this morning. No problem. Now its dead again. It is raining. Would that possibly have anything at all to do with it??

Stupid car is stuck in the parking lot at work. I am NOT happy.

Dave,

Well, now we have the "unpredictable" part. Did you try to notice if you heard the fuel pump run as Bruce suggested? Obviously this could be many things, and you have to really start to observe key signs to nail it.

If you cannot hear the fuel pump, or the tests mentioned by Ken indicate a bad relay, change it and you should be on your way.

If you want to start from scatch, your thought process should be that it takes two things to start a gasoline engine: fuel and spark. Typically if you can smell unburned fuel you have an ignition problem, if you smell nothing it is a fuel problem of some sort.

BTW: Any check engine light? You should also try to pull the codes, even if the engine light has not come on. It could be generating a code, but since this symptom causes you to repeatedly go on/off on the ignition switch, you may be resetting the indicator although codes are being stored.

Keep us posted.

HTH,
LarryB

I had a mechanic come down and look at it. He said he could not hear the fuel pump going at all and there was no pressure in one of the lines going to the engine. (I am NO mechanic.. i have no idea what line that is).

I guess he thinks it is electrical...

No check engine light. Going to toe it I guess and get it hooked up for some codes.

Thanks for your help larry.

I'd suggest buying the main fuel pump relay. Its $50 bucks. I had the exact same problem!! And my car also got stranded at work. It was the main fuel pump relay. Very easy to install, you can do it yourself there at work with no tools.
Regards
Z

Originally posted by NSX FoYoAss:
I'd suggest buying the main fuel pump relay. Its $50 bucks. I had the exact same problem!! And my car also got stranded at work. It was the main fuel pump relay. Very easy to install, you can do it yourself there at work with no tools.
Regards
Z

Is it a common honda part? Could I get it at a Honda dealer?

How much would it cost to get installed? Like I said, I am not a mechanic and I have no idea where this part even is.

Could I do it right in the parking lot?

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 26 February 2003).]

Originally posted by NetViper:
Is it a common honda part? Could I get it at a Honda dealer?

How much would it cost to get installed? Like I said, I am not a mechanic and I have no idea where this part even is.

From the diagram in the service manual, it appears that it is behind the passenger seat, next to the main ECU. However, I can't tell from the diagram whether it is accessible from the interior or from the engine compartment.

I'm not sure, but from the parts diagram here, the fuel pump relay may be item number 9, which has part number 39795-SB2-003. Can someone verify?

If that's the correct parts number, you can give that part number to the parts department of your Honda dealer and ask them if they can order it for you. Or, you can order it from one of the dealers that gives discounts to club members. Goodson Acura is close to you...

The part number for the main relay is 39400-SL0-003. The part number for an Accord is 39400-SM4-003 and a Legend is 39400-SH3-003. The relay itself is probably the same the difference in the part number is just the way it mounts in the car. If no Acura dealer is close I would buy one for an Accord and see if you can just swap the bracket on it.

Bruce

I tapped on the main fuel relay with a screw driver while trying to start it.. like the acura tech said. It started right up. So I ordered another one from Goodson. Going to install it tomorrow.

Let's just hope that was the problem.

Thanks everyone for your help! You guys never let me down!

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 26 February 2003).]

Mine is normal NOT to start on the first try...usually two, sometimes three. I let it turn a couple times but I dont hold the key down very long, maybe a full second and a half...

is this normal not to start on the first try?

The problem that NetViper is was experiencing was not really a matter of not-starting-on-the-first-try. As several folks have metioned, it's an intermittent problem: Sometimes the engine will fire right up and other times, will not fire even after 10 or more tries.

It is my understanding that this problem is due to faulty solder on the main relay and is pretty common on Civics, Accords, etc. There's some info here: http://autorepair.about.com/library/weekly/aa010301a.htm

A search for "Civic Main Relay" or "Accord Main Relay" on google will yield tons of info.

Just thought I'd try to clarify the last few posts.

------------------
ojaspatel.com/nsx | AIM:OjasNet | ICQ: 4700856 | Yahoo: Ojas_Patel

NetViper,
Save the money and put it in yourself. Its plug and play basically. I think there's one bolt that holds the main relay behind you. I have my old relay sitting here, RZ-0101. Its as easy as changing CD's!! hehe
biggrin.gif

Good Luck
Z
[email protected]
PM me and I can walk you thru it on the phone if you need. I still have my panels removed so I can see the relay,etc.

[This message has been edited by NSX FoYoAss (edited 27 February 2003).]

Back