• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help! Catalytic converter clog with valve guide pieces

Three weeks ago I got my transmission fluid changed. A week later the car couldn't even go over 45 miles per hour and the exhaust is making crazy sound. The Acura dealer informs me that my catalytic converter needs to be replaced. This morning I receive a call and the service guy inform me that my catalytic converter was clog and that they found pieces of the valve guide in the catalytic converter. At this point the service guide doesn’t know what could be possibly wrong with my car. The only thing he can do now is remove the cylinder head. Has anyone experience this problem?

Last edited:
Re: Help! Catalytic converter clog with valve guy pieces

Do you mean valve guide? If they found any peice of the valvetrain in the cat you need to pull the heads.

Yes, Sorry I’m paranoia I haven't seen my car in a month.

DocL said:
Do you mean valve guide? If they found any peice of the valvetrain in the cat you need to pull the heads.

Should I ask them to do a cylinder leak down test first.

DocL said:

Quick questions: The Acura dealer just told me last week that he found pieces of the valve guide in the cat converter. At that point I thought I needed a new valve & cat converter

Today I receive a call and he informs me that my car is running fine with just the cat converter but its a possibility that the valve guide might break later. Does this sound right?

I am pretty confident there were never any valve guide parts in the cat if all is well now. I also have no reason to think there would be valve guide parts in the cat in teh future if all is well. I do not know what is/was wrong, but this "story" certainly does not add up.

Is there a possibility you have mis-interpretted the info? It is also possible the service writer was not clear about what the tech told him. You may want to try to speak to the tech to get a definative answer.

BTW, Did you have an engine check light?

HTH,
LarryB

I thought for sure I was missing something also. No check engine light.
The car just wouldn't go over 45 mph and the rpm wouldn't go pass 5K. I spoke to him again and now he's telling me one of my mufflers has gone bad and the car sounds a little louder.
FYI: supertrapp exhaust
I plan to speak to the technician after work.
This just doesn't sound right.

Back