• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help choosing a new exhaust.

Looking at the threads all I see is you complain. Regardless here in SoCal I have several friends with this exhaust (a couple of the are older / muture nsx owners looking for an exhaust that added just a little character to the nsx. ). Everyone I know that has this exhaust loves it, so to see you saying it drones (when it absolutely does not) upsets me. I don't know what you could have possibly done to make it drone? (Was yours broken? We're you running test pipers). All I know is mine on my stock 1993 with 1997-1999 headers is heaven. Mine on my ctsc 1997 with complex headers was heaven and it was perfect on my stock 2005 that bubbadog out of Ohio now Owns. He would also agree

Looking at the threads all I see is you complain. Regardless here in SoCal I have several friends with this exhaust (a couple of the are older / muture nsx owners looking for an exhaust that added just a little character to the nsx. ). Everyone I know that has this exhaust loves it, so to see you saying it drones (when it absolutely does not) upsets me. I don't know what you could have possibly done to make it drone? (Was yours broken? We're you running test pipers). All I know is mine on my stock 1993 with 1997-1999 headers is heaven. Mine on my ctsc 1997 with complex headers was heaven and it was perfect on my stock 2005 that bubbadog out of Ohio now Owns. He would also agree

I will tell my experience and you can tell yours. I will sure as hell warn people about my experiences before shelling out that much for an exhaust if they ask. In the end the customer will decide if he likes it or not. The only thing I will tell you is that I never had headers, so that certainly could reduce or even eliminate the drone.

All I know is the JGTC sounds better IMO with a minimal level of cabin drone.

I think drone can be detected or undetected depending on the age of the driver. Lol. I never noticed such things as drone when I was younger due to having stereo blasting, windows down, ect. I think as we get a little older and more mature we slow down some and our wants and needs change. But drone is real and taitec exhaust do drone. It is a fact. Would someone other then yourself hear it the same as the next man, probably not. It is merely a matter of tastes and needs.

From what I understand every exhaust on the market right now will drone. CT included. Everything except Fujitsubo Ti.

I'm in my mid 50's so while I like Fast I do not prefer Loud. IMO That is more of a "Hey look at me" kind of thing. ;)

I started out with a B&B Exhaust (R/M) and it has a nice low growl to it with no drone. I had DC Sports Headers, ProSpeed-3 chip, and high flow cats and I live in CA. I read up and listened to sound clips and decided to switch to the JGTC parallel and it was much louder with droning. I was disappointed. I don't have the car anymore but when I get another I would go with the B&B or the Angus because of its design simplicity. I think the Comptech is another quieter one that works well for SC. I much prefer the growl of intake than the scream of exhaust. :)

Nothing wrong with V-Band clamps. Aeroquip has sold them for years on turbomachinery applications. Not just automotive turbos, but aircraft and large industrial gas turbines.

BTW - Most Smog inspectors don't know what an NSX exhaust is supposed to look like. Just show your CARB stickers and they are happy.
See the smog thread pinned at the top of the So Cal section for NSX friendly shops.

From what I understand every exhaust on the market right now will drone. CT included. Everything except Fujitsubo Ti.

Having had both comptech Gen 1 and Gen 2, I would not agree. I will say Gen 2 will drone a little if you hammer it at 50mph at 2000 rpm, but other than that no issues. They are just not the loudest things out there and they will not be heard over the blower wine. For NA you don't really hear Gen1 in the cabin. Gen 2 is a little louder. I have my Gen 2 up in the attic if I ever get tired of the JGTC.

Having had both comptech Gen 1 and Gen 2, I would not agree. I will say Gen 2 will drone a little if you hammer it at 50mph at 2000 rpm, but other than that no issues. They are just not the loudest things out there and they will not be heard over the blower wine. For NA you don't really hear Gen1 in the cabin. Gen 2 is a little louder. I have my Gen 2 up in the attic if I ever get tired of the JGTC.
Dave, do you happen to have any sound recordings of how ct gen2 sounds? Do you have aftermarket headers and/or high flowing cats or test pipes?

Dave, do you happen to have any sound recordings of how ct gen2 sounds? Do you have aftermarket headers and/or high flowing cats or test pipes?

I do actually.

I think this has aftermarket headers. Sorry it is very short.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RlJXjcST7ms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My friend who owns a GTLW here in Nor Cal said his exhaust drones as well running just the exhaust, stock cat + stock headers within a specific rpm range. A few people on this thread mentioned that headers reduces the amount of drone in the car possibly shifting the noise to a higher rpm. I had a Greddy PE in my daily and you can easily tell when it drones climbing a hill in a higher gear. Drone can be perceived as a resonation of sound that drowns out other audible noises, a buzz type note that almost gets into your head.

So far, my ARC Ti does not have the same drone noise that I experienced with my daily doing the same hill climb. As other's have mentioned, the size of the canister may be a source of what produces the 'drone'.

Last edited:
See I kind of like the gen 2 ct net viper. It sounds meaty and solid. Not loud and loose like someone threw some change up in the muffler.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and for someone to get mad at consumers reviewing things for our cars, sheesh... You must hate yelp like the plague.
These are discussion forums last I checked and we are "discussing" someone drop the kids off to chucky cheese first:biggrin:

See I kind of like the gen 2 ct net viper. It sounds meaty and solid. Not loud and loose like someone threw some change up in the muffler.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and for someone to get mad at consumers reviewing things for our cars, sheesh... You must hate yelp like the plague.
These are discussion forums last I checked and we are "discussing" someone drop the kids off to chucky cheese first:biggrin:

I think it's a good choice for an na car or if you don't want to here the exhaust with an sc but want a good free flowing exhaust.

I think it's a good choice for an na car or if you don't want to here the exhaust with an sc but want a good free flowing exhaust.
Okay, right now your running the ctsc with jgtc right? Which is what I will have soon. Drop car off to Shad tomorrow. Cannot wait. Will be a week or two to get back as he has races coming up but I am a patient person.

Jinks. My advise to you is you go to a bay area nsx meet before you buy any exhaust. Why not go to a meet and Experience the sound first hand so you can decide which is right for you.

The GTLW definitely drones.. I drove my buddies who has a 1993 before I got my Endura. Though inside the cabin of the car that has it, the drone isn't as bad as the SOS Endura Lite I have. If you put in the exhaust tip silencers, I suspect the drone will diminish or be eliminated (it reduced it in mine by at least 70%).
I define "drone" as when the resonance frequency is hit and a standing wave forms inside your cabin. It basically amplifies the sound of the exhaust inside your cabin.

I have driven behind two NSX's that had GTLWs on the way to Las Vegas from LA for NSXPO and can tell you the drone inside MY cabin from their cars was ridiculous. I had the stock exhaust at the time and can tell you after 5 minutes my headache got so bad, that I had to drive IN FRONT of both of them to even find it bearable.

Here's an update to my original post. Here's the same Endura exhaust with the silencers installed. I noticed that once installed the sound was more linear in volume - meaning as the RPMs increased, so did the volume. You'll see it's still plenty loud in the high RPMs, just WAY more bearable in the lower RPMs. Also, the tip silencers added a bit of "rasp" to the note at high RPM.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wwLlMNiH434" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tgjBooY0dDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Thanks for the videos. If I hit wot with my jgtc exhaust in a tunnel, it is crazy loud. But with all things after market there are compromises. Which is what I have always loved about ct products. They give the consumer the performance and appearance they are looking for without very much compromise.
My choice is still undecided. But it will be one of three. Ct, circuit werks, or pride V2.

While the RS-R is no longer produced, they have zero drone, Z-E-R-O! They are similar to the Comtech yet are a bit throatier. They do pop up FS occasionally.

Last edited:
My NSX came with a Pride V1 and test pipes installed by the previous owner. It sounds perfect to me in every way, at cruising speeds as well as WOT....my engine cover is also removed. I wonder if that would resolve most people's droning issues (assuming they're ok with taking off the engine cover). I was told that fixed the droning issue that existed before the cover was off.

Last edited:
Back