• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help comparing 2 NSXs

I am looking at 2 NSXs both 91 silver, please tell me which one you think is better.

1.82K miles Original owner, garaged, non-smoker, regularly serviced.
Very good condition inside and out.
No modifications . Has harness bar and Schroth four point belts and the stock belts.
Not in snap ring range.
Window regulators on both sides replaced.
Belts, hosesm, timing belt, clutch new at 70K.
Ventilation blower moter and transistor assy new at 78K.
1 owner car, has been tracked some
$27,500

2.67K, chrome 95 wheels, new front bumper, 60K service completed, still on original clutch and tbelt.
3 owner car, supposedly never tracked
$29,950

Basically I'm concerned about what I might have to spend to service the second car, however i like that it has less miles, so please give me opinions.

Originally posted by cmarsh90:
I am looking at 2 NSXs both 91 silver, please tell me which one you think is better.

1.82K miles Original owner, garaged, non-smoker, regularly serviced.
Very good condition inside and out.
No modifications . Has harness bar and Schroth four point belts and the stock belts.
Not in snap ring range.
Window regulators on both sides replaced.
Belts, hosesm, timing belt, clutch new at 70K.
Ventilation blower moter and transistor assy new at 78K.
1 owner car, has been tracked some
$27,500

2.67K, chrome 95 wheels, new front bumper, 60K service completed, still on original clutch and tbelt.
3 owner car, supposedly never tracked
$29,950

Basically I'm concerned about what I might have to spend to service the second car, however i like that it has less miles, so please give me opinions.

Just my opinion, but I like the first one better, one owner, good service records, has the timing belt service done, window regulators fixed. Not in snap ring range, also it is only 15,000 more miles.

Whats up with the second car, why did he need a new front bumper, and a 3 owner car that is "supposedly" never tracked.....Its gonna need more maintenance too.

Car number 2 has not been well maintained. There are three "gotchas" regarding the maintenance of early NSXs and it fails the test for all three (at least, in the absence of further infomration). It will need to get the timing belt and water pump replaced, and this will run $1000-1500. I am betting that it still needs the window regulators repaired - not that the fix-it thingies are all that expensive ($16 plus labor, total ~$200-300) but it's another sign of inadequate maintenance. And it doesn't say whether it's in the snap ring range or not.

Car number 1 has had everything updated that is likely to have a problem. Plus, the owner is knowledgeable enough about NSX maintenance to provide the status of all the gotchas.

The difference in mileage is not all that much. I would be much more worried about the difference in condition.

This is a no-brainer in my opinion.

The fact that car number 1 has a lower asking price is just an added bonus; I would take it over car number 2 even if the prices were the same.

Please note that I posted about car number 1 but I have no interest (financial or otherwise) in steering anyone there over anywhere else; I was merely asked to forward his listing to the forums.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 27 January 2003).]

This one is easy. 1st one!

Originally posted by cmarsh90:
1.82K miles

1.82K miles = 1820 miles
2.67K miles = 2670 miles

Both of these are EXTREMELY low mileage cars if what you're saying is correct. And how can you say that the second card has lower miles??

confused.gif

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
1.82K miles = 1820 miles
2.67K miles = 2670 miles

Both of these are EXTREMELY low mileage cars if what you're saying is correct. And how can you say that the second card has lower miles??

confused.gif

LOL! I read it that way to begin with also -
that would actually be
#1 - 82K miles
#2 - 67K miles

I would choose a 1-owner car every time.

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
Sheesh. Thanks, D'Ecosse. Amazing how a little space in punctiation makes all the difference!

Hey, PHOEN$X,

1.xx miles, and 2.xx miles..., That's what I thought at first!! Perhaps, it's time for us to go back to the elementary school and start from the first grade
smile.gif

Assuming they are in comparable condition, the first car sounds more attractive to me. The fact that the asking price is a couple grand less makes it even more attractive, and the fact that it is more up to date on maintenance makes it even MORE attractive. I agree with the others who said it seems like a no-brainer decision for the first car.

I do however have to disagree that the window regulators not being replaced are themselves a sign of "inadequate maintenance." Only a small subset of owners know about the aftermarket "fixit thingys" for the window regulators. Most NSX owners are not familiar with the problem and will just pay Acura to replace them when they fail. I think it's unfair to say someone has inadequately maintained their car when no other solution is available from the manufacturer.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 28 January 2003).]

You're absolutely right, Lud. I should not have referred to the lack of information about the window regulator updates as "inadequate maintenance", but rather, as a potential problem for which you may need to spend money to fix.

While it is not necessarily a sign of "inadequate maintenance", at a minimum it could be a sign of lack of familiarity with the problem areas to which the NSX is susceptible, particularly those which are preventable at low cost. Or, it could also be that the owner IS familiar with those problem areas and doesn't want to spend the money to prevent them - in which case it MIGHT be considered inadequate maintenance after all.

It's still a "gotcha" though.
wink.gif

Back