• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help. Coolant leak - pics

I seem to have a coolant leak somewhere right above the tank, but haven't been able to figure out where exactly. It appears to be leaking a few drops every 10 miles or so. Has anybody had this same problem? Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 465
this may be a stupid question but have you checked that hose right above the coolant bottle?

That hose is for the overflow, therefore it should have no pressure. Check you cap, it might be that the seal on the cap is bad and you might just need to replace the cap itself.

I had the exact same problem. I first replaced the cap and it didn't solve it and checked the hose and that didn't work. I finally changed the tank and that solved the problem.

Bob

This probably isn't an issue, considering where your fluid is, but also check to make sure your fan is working.

The relay that turns on the fan got zorched in my car and I didn't know about it until I sat still with my car running and the A/C on for about ten minutes in hot weather. Then it overheated and began spewing coolant out the overflow, which proceeded to vaporize itself on the engine and give off a lot of smoke and stink. :)

If your fan isn't running, you might have a small problem that won't get worse until you do something similar to what I did.

Aiken`s problem

Yes that is exactly what happened to me. Did you do any damage to the motor? I think not since it wasn`t spewing much fluid. Do you remember which relay it is? the high or the low?

Unfortunately, the leaking coolant bottle is a very common problem as the plastic ages in the early cars. However, where you leak looks like it is coming from is very unusual. You can look at the fitting on the top of the bottle, however, it should only see pressure when the pressure relief valve on the coolant bottle is retracted. If you do need to replace the bottle, you may want to take a look at our new aluminum tanks, which are the only tanks to use the same internal baffle as stock to prevent slosh. We have a great new satin finish bottle that looks awesome!

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/coolant_tank/

Cheers,
-- Chris

Very helpful 2mph!

My car is doing that, too (could be a photo of mine). Very subtle...literally just a few drops now and then in that exact same spot. I did replace the cap...and it still does it. Since the overflow tube is non-pressurized I'm thinking that RSO 34 has the fix. It must be coming from a minor leak near that top fitting on the bottle itself. Doesn't seem to be life threatening, as only a truly trivial amount of coolant is being lost (at least given the frequency I drive mine). I plan to replace it sometime over the Winter. Please give us an update if you get to it sooner...

It looks like it could be a small crack on the tank. Since the cooling system is pressurized, a small leak will reduce the overall pressure and may cause localized boiling of the coolant in hot areas of the engine.

rk

Leaking Tank

Mine did same thing- you have to replace the whole tank. It leaks from the pressed in overflow tube-to-plastic connection. No way to repair. The tank was pretty cheap, if I recall. Easy fix.

Back