• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help diagnose ticking noise - w/video

Hey guys,
I've tried searching my issue but have not found anything consistent with what coundts as excessive ticking. I know injector tick at a pretty high frequency. But this noise just appeared about a month ago, after an oil change. I double checked the oil level and it's actually just above the "high" mark.

The tick is somewhat masked by the injector noise but it sounds different and is not as fast as the injector noise.

I'm hesitant to call this valve tap....but does it sound like this? I recorded a video by placing the phone right above the throttlebody.

Check it out:
http://vimeo.com/42524178

Sounds like valve chatter. How long has it been since they were adjusted? Since it occurred just after oil change, did you change oil brands/viscosity?

There wasnt a change in oil viscosity or brand. I am planning on having the valves adjusted soon...just didnt know if I should be looking for something else as well.

The NSX valve train is a bit loud in the first place. Secondly, excessive noise from the valve train, like yours (and mine currently) is most likely either due to valve/s out of spec or binding LMA's (for early cars).

LMA's can be checked at the same time as valve adjustment. Check their movement, they should not be sticky.

SOS sell upgrade units, spring type. They are most easily installed while doing a TB, replace cam seals and cam plugs at the same time since this is a camshaft out operation. No need to pull motor.

I think SOS charge 3.5 hours extra for these during a TB, and about 8 hours just for the LMA's.

If noise persist after valve adjustment/LMA's, consider spun rod bearing/s. Unplug the ignition coils, one at a time and see if the noise goes away. If it does for one of the cylinders, well, not good.

Let us know how it goes.

Mr. Goat. Those are great suggestions. I'll keep that in mind when I do the 90K service in the next few weeks. I actually read about LMAs but the description was difficult to determine if this was the case.

The NSX valve train is a bit loud in the first place. Secondly, excessive noise from the valve train, like yours (and mine currently) is most likely either due to valve/s out of spec or binding LMA's (for early cars).

LMA's can be checked at the same time as valve adjustment. Check their movement, they should not be sticky.

SOS sell upgrade units, spring type. They are most easily installed while doing a TB, replace cam seals and cam plugs at the same time since this is a camshaft out operation. No need to pull motor.

I think SOS charge 3.5 hours extra for these during a TB, and about 8 hours just for the LMA's.

If noise persist after valve adjustment/LMA's, consider spun rod bearing/s. Unplug the ignition coils, one at a time and see if the noise goes away. If it does for one of the cylinders, well, not good.

Let us know how it goes.

Back