• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help figuring out the cause of this noise

Can anyone help with figuring out what the cause of this noise is and what I can do to fix it. You can't hear it outside the car if someone else turns the wheel. It is only from the inside. Trying to see if I can diagnose before starting to tear into things.

https://youtu.be/MgbLkzOSO_A

On the recording, the sound is more like a bit of a clank rather than a click.

Based upon where the position of the steering wheel is when the click / clank occurs, I want to say that it is the turn signal cancel cam interacting with the cancel switch; however, I find it hard to believe that the cancel cam hitting the cancel switch could make that much noise unless the switch has come loose.

The second possibility, again based upon the wheel rotation when the noise occurs, is that the lock pin in the steering lock mechanism is not retracting fully in the unlocked position and is catching on the lock recesses in the steering column. If that is the case, you definitely do not want to be driving the car because if that locking pin decides to 'un retract' a little more and fully engage with the steering column lock recess its going to lock the wheel in that position. Very bad news in the middle of a turn.

Finally, are you still using the cable reel with your steering wheel? Is it possible that something has come loose there?

Speculation is all academic. I think you have no choice but to be taking the deep dive into your steering column. I wouldn't ignore it, particularly if something has gone wrong with the column locking mechanism.

Plastic shroud or clip loose?

Did you remove the steering wheel yet? Sounds to me like an issue with your aftermarket hub.

On the recording, the sound is more like a bit of a clank rather than a click.

Based upon where the position of the steering wheel is when the click / clank occurs, I want to say that it is the turn signal cancel cam interacting with the cancel switch; however, I find it hard to believe that the cancel cam hitting the cancel switch could make that much noise unless the switch has come loose.

The second possibility, again based upon the wheel rotation when the noise occurs, is that the lock pin in the steering lock mechanism is not retracting fully in the unlocked position and is catching on the lock recesses in the steering column. If that is the case, you definitely do not want to be driving the car because if that locking pin decides to 'un retract' a little more and fully engage with the steering column lock recess its going to lock the wheel in that position. Very bad news in the middle of a turn.

Finally, are you still using the cable reel with your steering wheel? Is it possible that something has come loose there?

Speculation is all academic. I think you have no choice but to be taking the deep dive into your steering column. I wouldn't ignore it, particularly if something has gone wrong with the column locking mechanism.

Appreciate all the input especially yours Old Guy as I am new to this car and that is extremely helpful to all the possible causes.

Last night I removed the hub from the quick release and then the hub adapter. It appears the previous owner had only pulled one cable of the factory harness through the hole in the hub. I am not completely sure if that could have been hitting anything or if it is something else as I have not taken a drive yet since it is raining outside.

Will take tools with to dig into it further but headed to the dragon this weekend with the car. If was doing it for the previous owner for the past year.

The second possibility, again based upon the wheel rotation when the noise occurs, is that the lock pin in the steering lock mechanism is not retracting fully in the unlocked position and is catching on the lock recesses in the steering column.

What a horrifying possibility.

Yeah that has me really worried. How would I even fix that?

Just got to the gas station. The noise is gone! It was the airbag with not being in the hub.

Back