• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

help: locating vin on chevy engine

Im pretty sure we know where it is on an NSX, and it seems you have one too, dont get offended, i realize some prime members are really sensitive, try a chevy forum

I actually owned a 2002 black chevy impala loaded. but so many people thought I was a cop. it was constant grid lock. windows were 100 illegal black, but sure as hell you could send an email to onstar and the car would read it to me, if spelling was right

The chassis VIN is not typically stamped on the block. Often, there is a serial number, but no registry to match it up against with foreign cars to actually figure out when/where it came from. Not sure on domestic, last domestic I owned was a suburban shaped like a box.

However, if you search the block carefully there will be information "stamped" in to it. I have no idea on your particular engine, but it's often on the driver's side below the head. Good luck and you will probably need a flash light. I use visual clues myself personally, but that will take a little additional research.

I'm trying to remember block casting number locations on SB Chevys. I think they are located on the back of the block, above the bellhousing, on the port side. Its not a VIN, but it does cross over to what the engine was when it left the factory. Its only been 7 years since I've even had a Chevy so my memory of the correct location may be false.

Chevy used to have an 800 number to call and the people on the other side could tell you the engine by that block number. I don't remember the number, but if this thread is still active next week, I'll look in my rolodex at work and post the number.

Miner
former Small Block Chevy Guru and master Q-Jet tuner

Back