• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help me negotiate an NSX purchase

Alright heres the deal. I got this 92 that i have my eyes on. Problem is i think its going for too much (in comparison to what ive seen online.)

It has 120K miles
The TCS sensor light is on
There is no known history of tune-ups (just regular maintenance oil change)
It has lowering springs but shocks are stock
Has Blitz technospeeds (Id be happy to sell them if I got the car or trade for 97+ OEM).
Brakes look like they're warped
Paint is OK.
Owner says that Acura customized the interior with carbon fiber and redstiching on seats.

Sorry I dont have pics, but from what Ive described do you think this is worth $26,500.
The knowledgable help and assitance in finalizing a purchase deserves a drink(s) on me.

Jon

$25k asking price would be average based on a recent predictive model. Considering it's mostly stock and it needs work/parts, I would reduce your offer accordingly. Maybe $22-23k?

High mileage, lack of maintenance, so-so condition, and interior customizing that most people would avoid. Yeah, I'd say $23K would be about right.

The TCS light is probably caused by using the wrong tire sizes.

You can't tell whether brake rotors are warped by looking at them.

Russ said:
Interesting, would you please explain this predictive model?
It's just basic linear regressions. I've performed them with the various inputs--M.Y., color, & miles, and I ignored all dealers, salvage title and auto trannies. Color doesn't have too much statistical significance on price, nor does it add or subtract all that much in any case. In the end, the model spits out a baseline value for each M.Y., and then deducts a certain $.xx for each mile on the clock. For example, a '91 car with 0 miles is predicted to have a value of just under $40k, then you subtract $.115 for each mile. The "fit" of the regression curve to the data points is actually pretty good in some cases, and fairly useful once you have maybe 15-20 entries, the more the better. It helps, but there are limitations: 1) The input is asking price, so it doesn't say anything about selling price and how much people negotiate on average, and 2) It doesn't have any adjustments for mods. You really have to work with the data for this so you develop a personal "feel" about the "average" mods that are on the cars in the data set. My own feel is that the average NA1 car has maybe $5-10k retail in mods, but that is only a guess and fairly subjective. Rims, suspension, exhaust, body kits are fairly common. Then from that, you need to figure out how much value the mod adds. E.g., to me, headers are worth a higher percentage of retail than CF trim or a AM spoiler.

ehh, if you have the money to spend 26.5 i'd keep looking. i got mine a couple months ago with not even half the miles as that, awesome condition, all stock, well kept,and from a dealership for 600 more.... flex your argument skills a little, you'll save a lot.

yeah, good point, i didn't think of that. i'd look out of state if you could.... broaden the pool of potentials.... mine came from 2 states over...

The difference would have to be pretty sizable to make it worth the extra time/transportation fees. Good deals do pop up here, you just have to be willing to wait for them. Also, I'm willing to pay a little more for a socal-only car than a similar car that has spent 15 years in much harsher climates.

Are you seeking lower price because of the budget, or you like that one and want to pay less? If you have more money, you should look for lower mileage cars, if you have a budget issue, you may face potential maintanace/repair cost later. Also, check for snap ring range.

good luck

appreciate the subtle form...

NSXboy2000 said:
120k miles?? damn, i figured a car with that many miles would die within a few months of purchase

A well maintained & cared-for NSX w/ 120k miles would be very similar to a 20k miles NSX. Maint'/service is the key, not age/mileage. The real advantage w/ the NSX over it's contemporaries is the build-quality, reliability, and fit/finish over the years of ownership.

If the car was well maintained (engine/tranny), you could put another 80K miles on it easy, of course keep in mind that some maint will have to be done anyway. Mine's got 160k and the engine is rock solid, but of course it's been well maintained. I personally, rather have a vehicle with a few more miles without accidents than a wrecked one with less miles. If you can find one that's low miles and never wrecked, better.....:wink:

fun4me said:
If the car was well maintained (engine/tranny), you could put another 80K miles on it easy, of course keep in mind that some maint will have to be done anyway. Mine's got 160k and the engine is rock solid, but of course it's been well maintained. I personally, rather have a vehicle with a few more miles without accidents than a wrecked one with less miles. If you can find one that's low miles and never wrecked, better.....:wink:

that's why i got mine (53kmi, 2 owners, 0 accidents, all stock) instead of another one (33kmi, 5 owners, 1 accident, all stock). Still though, i think it'd be worth it to broaden your search, regardless of any delivery costs or whatever it may incur. You're spending 26-27 g's. and no matter how well maintained.... it's still got 120kmi. you get a weird feeling when you drop 27 large on a 91 with 50kmi, let alone such an old car with 120. i do agree though, if it's well maintained, it makes a world of difference.

Daedalus said:
I'm willing to pay a little more for a socal-only car than a similar car that has spent 15 years in much harsher climates.
I would be willing to spend more for a northern climate car. Most cars up north are stored during the winter. Cars in the southern areas are more likely to have experienced fading from the sun.

NSXboy2000 said:
120k miles?? damn, i figured a car with that many miles would die within a few months of purchase
Nonsense!

For what its worth I just picked up my 92 a few months ago for $28. I am also in San Diego. It had 49k miles, comptech exhaust, 97+ wheels, and pretty good service records. Sounds like you could do a little better for maybe a few k more. I looked at several that were at 30k or less that were in really good shape and relatively low miles(less than 75k). If I were in your shoes I would keep looking. Just my opinion though.

Back