• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help needed to check a car in Redwood City, CA area and suggestions for PPI

Hello !
I came across this car in redwood city red/blk with ugly aftermarket chrome wheels. The car seems to be decent with some past maintenance history but the owner seems like one with money to maintain the car but not much time to answer questions about. Anyway it seems like a decent completely stock ( sans the wheels) car and definitely worth checking out. I would like to do a PPI but I trust a existing owner's opinion quite a lot more than some PPI

Can anyone or does anyone know anyone spare some time this week/weekend or later and check it out for me so that I don't have to travel all the way from Michigan for a bad one ? Please PM me if you are available to help and I will gladly compensate you for your time/ out of pocket expenses !

Additionally, any recommendations for a PPI in that area ? Don of hill-top service at Daly city and foreign affairs at Santa Clara has been suggested at lot in this forum but it may be a little too far for the seller to bring the car over. Is there someone else with a NSX specific PPI close to redwood city ? I just want to keep more options open if those 2 turn out to be far for him.

Also does anyone know about this particular car ? VIN JH4NA1158MT000494

Regards,

Ravi

Last edited:
Bump ! I spoke to the owner and he feels that the 2 recommended shops might be too far away and so he was wondering if PPI at hopkins acura would suffice. There are a lot of good reviews of Hopkins Acura when a certain expert named Jim was around but I heard he left 2-3 years back.
Bay area Folks, does Hopkins Acura have a NSX tech and is it still a good place to go for NSX related work ?

Bump ! I spoke to the owner and he feels that the 2 recommended shops might be too far away and so he was wondering if PPI at hopkins acura would suffice. There are a lot of good reviews of Hopkins Acura when a certain expert named Jim was around but I heard he left 2-3 years back.
Bay area Folks, does Hopkins Acura have a NSX tech and is it still a good place to go for NSX related work ?
From what I have read here and being in the Bay Area myself, I beleive Acura of Fremont still has an nsx tech. Which is only about a 30 minute drive from Redwood city.

Of all the dealerships in the bay area, Acura of Fremont is the way to go.

Don @ hilltop isn't too NSX friendly these days as reported by many local owners.

From what I have read here and being in the Bay Area myself, I beleive Acura of Fremont still has an nsx tech. Which is only about a 30 minute drive from Redwood city.
Thank you Jinks ! The thing is, 30 mins is about the same time as it takes for him to the other 2 recommended shops. If Hopkins wont work, I will probably let request him to have to taken to daly city. Where do you give yours ?

Thank you Jinks ! The thing is, 30 mins is about the same time as it takes for him to the other 2 recommended shops. If Hopkins wont work, I will probably let request him to have to taken to daly city. Where do you give yours ?
I used to use dealerships, that was until recently I dealt with Shad at driving ambition in Sacramento. NEVER will I take my nsx to anyone else. Good luck with your purchase, I am sure you will be happy in whichever car you choose.

I used to use dealerships, that was until recently I dealt with Shad at driving ambition in Sacramento. NEVER will I take my nsx to anyone else. Good luck with your purchase, I am sure you will be happy in whichever car you choose.
Too bad shad's over at Sacramento. I would have loved to get it checked it by him

Too bad shad's over at Sacramento. I would have loved to get it checked it by him
Ravi I think if you are just having an inspection done, you should be ok taking it to Acura. But for repair I'd be weary. The problem is the good nsx techs are mostly retired now. The cars are getting up there in age.

I'd have to disagree with [MENTION=31260]Jinks[/MENTION] unfortunately with this one. A few local NSX owners in the bay area have had great experiences at Acura of Fremont with a wide variety of services including major like hoses and tb to little things.

I personally haven't had my car there because mine is pretty modified and I preferred indy shops to handle it but if I had an all stock NSX, I would definitely take it there.

I'll add my 2 cents. I purchased my NSX from consignment in Redwood City and they had no problem with me driving it to Don at hilltop for PPI. I felt like Don did a good job on the PPI and gave me a very thorough report. Jim Russell was also fantastic and local, but is retired. I had Jim check it out as well a couple of weeks after purchase, and he concurred 1:1 with everything Don told me. When I took my car to Shad a year later he mostly had the same observations.

One last thing - I just plunked that VIN into Google and the second result was for a salvage website saying something about front end damage. Either that or I'm not good at working The Google. http://www.car-salvage.info/auto-inventory/lot-1991_ACURA_NSX_16489473/c-1/g-16489473/

Last edited:
I'd have to disagree with @Jinks unfortunately with this one. A few local NSX owners in the bay area have had great experiences at Acura of Fremont with a wide variety of services including major like hoses and tb to little things.

I personally haven't had my car there because mine is pretty modified and I preferred indy shops to handle it but if I had an all stock NSX, I would definitely take it there.

I have seen a lot of good things about Acura of Fremont here. I have never been to that one. But I did deal with Acura of Concord. Be VERY VERY weary. No sweat for disagreeing bud, just sharing my own experiences.

If that is the car, it looks as though it has some seriously blown out front shocks as was my car when purchased. Given the drivers side fender cracked and buckled. One thing I will say, if you have a salvaged title nsx to buy and it itswhat you want at a great deal, why not buy it as I did. It required tons of repairs but that was kind of the experinece and fun/ hell of it all. However, if it has frame damage steer clear. The problem I found with these cars being an all aluminum monocoupe is the insurance companies salvage the car with the slightest of fender benders.
Also, your everyday parts for these cars costs a mint, which I did not notice. So please be aware of that too.

Just my opinion here, but if I were selling the car, I would take the car to Don's or Foreign Affair. Both aren't too far from Redwood City. Even Acura of Fremont isn't too far. But, I'd also want to talk about pricing beforehand, such as having an agreement to pay $XXX if no problems are found. If problems are found, the cost of necessary repairs (or half, or whatever) will be knocked off the purchase price. I would hate to take the time to take the car in for a PPI only to be offered an amount that I considered low. Ravi, not saying that you will do that. :)

When I sold my last car, an old M3, I lined up potential buyers back to back. The first guy wanted to have a PPI done. I knew the car was solid, and agreed, but only on the condition that if no problems (besides the ones I disclosed) were found, he would pay my asking price. I also told him I had other people looking at the car, and whoever gave me cash first, gets the car. He agreed with everything, and since it was a Saturday, told me he'd call me on Monday after he set up the PPI appointment.

The second guy came and gave me my asking price in cash with no PPI.

So what I'm trying to say is, I think that people should try and make it easy for each other. I'd talk to the seller, explain your reasonings for wanting to take it to Don or Foreign Affair instead of the closer Hopkins, but figure out a price (and maybe even some sort of deposit?) so that he's completely comfortable with the deal, too.

I read in your other thread that you called Hopkins and they have a NSX tech there. I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to get the PPI done there. A lot of NSXs have passed through those doors.

Last edited:
Acura of Fremont/Sunnyvale (same owner) did a full R&R on my SOS SC NSX with an engine build and not a hick up.

They are very capable with heavily modified NSXs from my experience.

The service manager to ask for is Justin Wynn who is a Turbo'd NSX owner.

He cares about the NSX and u'll be taken care of.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorCalNSX/

250~ members on there.

Join and ask..... Pretty confident that someone might be close by.
Thank you ! Will do

I'll add my 2 cents. I purchased my NSX from consignment in Redwood City and they had no problem with me driving it to Don at hilltop for PPI. I felt like Don did a good job on the PPI and gave me a very thorough report. Jim Russell was also fantastic and local, but is retired. I had Jim check it out as well a couple of weeks after purchase, and he concurred 1:1 with everything Don told me. When I took my car to Shad a year later he mostly had the same observations.

One last thing - I just plunked that VIN into Google and the second result was for a salvage website saying something about front end damage. Either that or I'm not good at working The Google. http://www.car-salvage.info/auto-inventory/lot-1991_ACURA_NSX_16489473/c-1/g-16489473/

If that is the car, it looks as though it has some seriously blown out front shocks as was my car when purchased. Given the drivers side fender cracked and buckled. One thing I will say, if you have a salvaged title nsx to buy and it itswhat you want at a great deal, why not buy it as I did. It required tons of repairs but that was kind of the experinece and fun/ hell of it all. However, if it has frame damage steer clear. The problem I found with these cars being an all aluminum monocoupe is the insurance companies salvage the car with the slightest of fender benders.
Also, your everyday parts for these cars costs a mint, which I did not notice. So please be aware of that too.

Thanks guys but that's actually not the car I am looking at. The one in redwood city is a red and a different VIN and It came clean on carfax. For some reason google directed me to this car as well when I ran the VIN search. For sure I would not be looking at a salvaged !

Just my opinion here, but if I were selling the car, I would take the car to Don's or Foreign Affair. Both aren't too far from Redwood City. Even Acura of Fremont isn't too far. But, I'd also want to talk about pricing beforehand, such as having an agreement to pay $XXX if no problems are found. If problems are found, the cost of necessary repairs (or half, or whatever) will be knocked off the purchase price. I would hate to take the time to take the car in for a PPI only to be offered an amount that I considered low. Ravi, not saying that you will do that. :)

When I sold my last car, an old M3, I lined up potential buyers back to back. The first guy wanted to have a PPI done. I knew the car was solid, and agreed, but only on the condition that if no problems (besides the ones I disclosed) were found, he would pay my asking price. I also told him I had other people looking at the car, and whoever gave me cash first, gets the car. He agreed with everything, and since it was a Saturday, told me he'd call me on Monday after he set up the PPI appointment.

The second guy came and gave me my asking price in cash with no PPI.

So what I'm trying to say is, I think that people should try and make it easy for each other. I'd talk to the seller, explain your reasonings for wanting to take it to Don or Foreign Affair instead of the closer Hopkins, but figure out a price (and maybe even some sort of deposit?) so that he's completely comfortable with the deal, too.

I read in your other thread that you called Hopkins and they have a NSX tech there. I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to get the PPI done there. A lot of NSXs have passed through those doors.

That really is a very good point ! Considering the car is due timing belt and maybe water pump by virtue of being 6 years old I think it would be better I do a deal along the lines you suggest before I even take her for PPI. Your suggestion makes good sense and this is the sort of points I was looking for ! And yup, they have a tech there who if I am not wrong owns a NSX as well.

Last edited:
Back