• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help, new CT-Engineering blower idle problem

mo

Registered Member
Hi Guys
Just had a new CT-Engineering SC (bought new 2008) fitted by my dealer here in the UK to my 1991 car.
The car now idles fast, around 2500rpm but without surging or hunting. The 'check engine' light is on but no fault codes showing.

An earlier thread mentions the bypass hose but I assume this new kit would not have the same problem.

Any ideas please?
Thanks
Mo

You have an air leak a large one, look at the bypass hose, intake gaskets, or the mating surface of the blower to the intake.

If you are able to read a engine code it will most likely be a code pointing to the idle circuit, either idle air bypass or idle control failure, the ECU is commanding less air through the idle circuit but there is enough air leaking to allow for the higher idle, you can try spraying carb cleaner under the intake from the air box side of the engine, make sure you are using a non-flammable carb or throttle body cleaner and do it when the engine is cold. If the idle changes then the bypass hose is loose from the bottom of the intake.

If it is the hose the only way to fix it is to remove, fix hose and reinstall the intake, lots of work but I am betting this is the problem.

Dave

Hi Mo,

There must be some code, have you tried resetting the ECU?

What is iddle AFR?

Cheers,

AR

If it is the hose the only way to fix it is to remove, fix hose and reinstall the intake, lots of work but I am betting this is the problem.

Dave

Not that hard to do once you done enough times :rolleyes:

I was adamand my hose was good until I replaced it with an uprated one!

Thanks folks.

I have asked the dealer to check the bypass hose and other areas.

He has tried re-setting the ECU but this still produces no fault codes.
The blower is being fitted by a Honda main dealer so they should know a fair bit about the ECU etc. This is the first CTSC being fitted in the UK as far as I know so they are learning as they go.

Will keep you posted.
Regards
Mo

PS Don't know what AFR means??

You could check your accelerator cable freeplay also. Mine did the same thing (Old whipple type). For some reason I had a lot of tension in the cable so when I started the car it idled very high. Adjusted the cable, all was fine.

This is the first CTSC being fitted in the UK as far as I know so they are learning as they go.

Will keep you posted.
Regards
Mo

PS Don't know what AFR means??

Mo,

Hence the reason I went DIY mate, I'll hate to have them learn on my dime.

AFR = Air Fuel Ratio, it can let them know if too much air is going in.

Cheers,

AR

Mo,

Hence the reason I went DIY mate, I'll hate to have them learn on my dime.

AFR = Air Fuel Ratio, it can let them know if too much air is going in.

Cheers,

AR

Well sort of, the NSX ECU uses speed density to meter out the fuel, so if there is an air leak the ECU's MAP sensor will read less vacuum and add fuel, the air fuel ratio will stay in check and will not indicate a vacuum leak. The sign of a leak is an elevated idle.

Once your install is completed and idle is fine, you should put the car on a dyno that can monitor air fuel ratio, the operator can adjust the fuel pressure regulator to make sure enough fuel is getting to the injectors accross the RPM and load range. This is a vital step as running lean or rich can both cause problems.

Best of luck,

Dave

Back