• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

help: pros and cons 17/18 vs. 18/19 wheels

I am researching aftermarket wheels for my 91. The car has WW front spoiler, and is not lowered. I have done a lot of reading here on Prime about whether to go with 17/18 or 18/19, but still uncertain. It would be helpful if some of the gurus could sum up the pros and cons of going with 17/18 vs. 18/19 wheels. I do not track the car, so admittedly, this is mostly for style points.

Also, I don't think I want to lower the car due to fear of scraping or damage to the front spoiler, but would be willing to listen to reasons why or why not to lower the car in light of wheel set/sizes.

Howdy...I have a 1991 Berlina Black beauty and I have a Wings West kit - I also have Tien Adjustable Suspension System, which I have raised - as I too do not want to scrape my car up. I have low profile tires with Niche Rien rims - 18s on the front and 19s on the back. The only drawback is that you cannot dorner was well as you would if you ahd stock 17s...and you have to be careful because you ahve altered the stock characteristics of the car - but it looks phat...lol. So go for the fatter look and be more careful - unless you want to track the car...then I suggest stock.

Dam:cool:

MUCH better selection of tires for 17/18. Lighter weight, better ride, more rubber around those rims which means less chance of bending rims when hitting potholes.

18/19 look better streetwise I think. However, the tire selection sucks when it comes to performance tires. Also, rims and tires are just more expensive. The ride is quite harsh.

I like the look of my 18/19 but I can't wait to get rid of them. It's just not worth it for me, I want the better performance.

As others mentioned before, anything over 18' isn't beneficial to your car other then looks.

Mashimaro's statement sums it up. :wink: Agree: 18/19 is only for looks, all other variables suffer due to the size. Even if you don't track the car but love to take some spirited turns on public roads stay below 18. If you're car is a show-car only 18/19 is the way to go.

I have 17/18 but wish I did 18/18.

I think 18/18 looks funny. 18/19 looks best in my opinion, but there are a few wheels out there in 17/18 that look just as big because of the spoke design. One is the Work Emotion XT7.

083_00.jpg

083_13.jpg
083_16.jpg

XT7.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=889

I recently purchased HRE 847-R chrome wheels, 18x8-front 19x10-rear. Mounted on the new wheels are new Toyo Proxes T1R 225/35/ZR18-front and 275/30/ZR19-rear. Then I took my car to Science of Speed and they installed JIC suspension, which lowered the car. All these upgrades had a significant impact on the looks of the car and the handling. The driving experience with perfectly balanced 3-piece wheels along with the JIC suspension is absolutley amazing. Check out the photos in the link above from a recent car show in Scottsdale AZ.

Ive got 18/19 Volk CE28N's. Not the best in terms of performance and a very rough ride. I often switch to my 17/18 Volk GTP's when Im looking to go fast:biggrin:

I did the 18/19 RPM rims and they are arguably a very heavy setup... But with that I feel came some durability in that I haven't had any problems bending them, etc... and we do have a good amount of construction pot holes still down here in FL.... so they have taken some good hits. Plus I am lowered with Bilsteins & Dali springs, which is definitely much firmer than stock. Performance wise I added headers around the same time, and feel it was probably a wash performance wise with the wheels in the equation. Cornering & handling wise the car feels flat and planted on the road... With the shorter sidewall however as all know, you probably are giving up some predictability of feeling the limit of adhesion coming on... If you track the car definitely go 17/18. I don't track my NSX, and they made street racing a felony in FL, which kind of took the fun out of it for me... so without much need for stoplight dragraces, I have been very happy with the 18/19, and you can't beat the looks. Which was the point anyway. And if you dig on compliments, you will definitely get them with chrome 18/19s.... And it helped shave 10yrs off how old people think the car is... I guess everyone has a reason for his/her NSX.. For me its the great handling AND the looks.. the balance. My previous M3 had the handling but didn't do much for you when you were sitting still. The NSX has the exotic looks with the plus of very good handling... and I wanted that balance.. If I were going to track a car, I would have kept my M3... If you want to 'feel' like you are in an exotic car then the NSX is the way to go... and with that said, the 18/19s are a great part of the package...

Short answer: 18/19s are for looks.

If you just want looks and don't care about acceleration then go for 18/19....tires cost more and you will feel the lag......17/18 is probably the best way to go in still getting looks and performance.......but its good to have both if you can do it......

I have 18/19s on my car now but I did order a set of 17/18 wheels also.

You will still need to lower the car even with the 18/19 combo.....

but in a nutshell 18/19 is for looks and little performance.....

17/18 has some looks and still has performance, better handling, acceleration, tires are cheaper.....

but if u have FI then it wont matter too much........assuming your pushing some good power.

Ive got 18/19 Volk CE28N's. Not the best in terms of performance and a very rough ride. I often switch to my 17/18 Volk GTP's when Im looking to go fast:biggrin:

How are my future GT-P wheels doing anyway? :cool:

Back