• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

help recall clearance letter needed

I need someone to tell me how i can get this letter from acura those son of a B#$#@$ wont give me one gray market my @## anyways there's got to be someone who knows a way PLEASE let me know how

About a year ago, I had planned to import a CRX from Canada to the US and needed to get probably the same letter you are after. I spoke with a dozen different people at Honda before I was just told that they WOULD NOT write me the letter. End of search for a CRX SE for me.

Good luck in your search for the letter. I believe mine was called a letter of compliance or something like that.

Sorry I am no help.

I just sold an S 2000 to someone from Canada who had the same problem. I had to go to a Honda Dealership and have them type a letter on their stationary stating that their isnt any recalls. Contact the PO and have him do it for you.If you already contacted Acura and said your the new owner and live in Canada they wont do a thing. A local dealerships (USA) letter will suffice,at least it did in my case.

Guys, the registered US owner of the car can request the Recall Clearance letter from Honda/Acura US. It take a while(3 weeks) but they will issue one.

I have heard of one guys getting a Recall Clearance letter from a Honda dealer in the Middle East and the Govt accepted it.

The RIV centers (Canadian Tire) don't event read the dam thing, all they look for is the VIN number and letter head.

good luck

Bram

So tell us, how did you finally get your Recall Clearance Letter from the uncooperative Acura/Honda head office?

Apparently there are a few anti-trust cases against the manufacturers for trying to deter the cross border sale of vehicles. There is an organization which helps dealers but I haven't found one yet which will help individual consumers.
see http://www.naata.org/

I talked to a lady at RIV and she emailed a PDF file that showed, step-by-step, exactly what to do to pass the inspection.

The brief explanation is as follows:
Create a user account with American Honda at www.ahm-ownerlink.com
Enter your USA-based VIN (it only accepts USA VINs)
Print this page
Click on the link, "Recalls"
Print this page

Take these TWO print-outs to your DMV as they constitute the mandatory Manufacturer's Letter.

Tony
ps. I followed the 8.5x14" double-sided brochure from www.riv.ca to-the-letter and the transaction went flawlessly.

More comments:

I called American Honda and Acura Canada about getting the letter prior to purchasing my 2004 NSX from Baltimore. Although Acura was "reasonably sympathetic", the American Honda manager that I talked to was uncooperative, rude and indignant that I might want to export this car.

The Acura Canada rep asked why I didn't just purchase a Canadian NSX. (This after telling me that they'd sold TWELVE (12) 2001-2004's in the country); whereas, the American Honda guy just stated, "No, and that's our policy. We don't want the cars exported."

I believe that this will deter a large percentage of potential exporters. Just not us!

If anyone would like to understand the entire process of importing and registering a USA car in Canada, I'd be more than happy to assist/explain. TC

tcarlson said:
More comments:

I called American Honda and Acura Canada about getting the letter prior to purchasing my 2004 NSX from Baltimore. Although Acura was "reasonably sympathetic", the American Honda manager that I talked to was uncooperative, rude and indignant that I might want to export this car.

The Acura Canada rep asked why I didn't just purchase a Canadian NSX. (This after telling me that they'd sold TWELVE (12) 2001-2004's in the country); whereas, the American Honda guy just stated, "No, and that's our policy. We don't want the cars exported."

I believe that this will deter a large percentage of potential exporters. Just not us!

If anyone would like to understand the entire process of importing and registering a USA car in Canada, I'd be more than happy to assist/explain. TC

America Honda is useless!!!!
I bought my 2004 NSX and they told me that they can't not give out recall letters after 45min of arguing. And it only took me no more than 1 min to print out the letter.

I bought my '03 from a dealer in the US and had them put a word file I wrote onto their letterhead as a condition of the transaction. The letter said "the Acura NXS VIN # UIOYYOIUYYIU is not subject to any recalls as of "todays date" signed, "someone at the dealership" service manager.

Worked fine, didn't bother with Honda because they told me "recall letter, whats that, i'm not sure, we'll check, never heard of one, etc." when I get static I switch stations!

S

I asked a dealship to write a letter but they wouldn't cause they were affraid that they would be liable for any future recalls, it all depends on the dealership manager.

So here is a suggestion.

As mentioned, US dealership letter heads are ok.

1. talk to the parts guy, get his name, or his managers name, or a sales managers name through normal conversation.

2. buy something very inexpensive, like a key chain, oil filter, or something that you need.

3. make sure you get an invoice (most dealership invoices print it on their letter)

4. go home, type up a letter in MS word.

5. pull out your arts and crafts supply, (scissors and tape) and tape the letter head from the invoice on to your MS word produced letter. (word of advice, photo copy the invoice so you don't chop up the original cause it could take a few tries to make it look right)

6. photocopy it again, and then sign it with the name of the person from the dealership talking to the parts guy.

7. you have yourself a recall letter that says whatever you want it to say. =)

Hope that helps.

jdizzle said:
I asked a dealship to write a letter but they wouldn't cause they were affraid that they would be liable for any future recalls, it all depends on the dealership manager.

So here is a suggestion.

As mentioned, US dealership letter heads are ok.

1. talk to the parts guy, get his name, or his managers name, or a sales managers name through normal conversation.

2. buy something very inexpensive, like a key chain, oil filter, or something that you need.

3. make sure you get an invoice (most dealership invoices print it on their letter)

4. go home, type up a letter in MS word.

5. pull out your arts and crafts supply, (scissors and tape) and tape the letter head from the invoice on to your MS word produced letter. (word of advice, photo copy the invoice so you don't chop up the original cause it could take a few tries to make it look right)

6. photocopy it again, and then sign it with the name of the person from the dealership talking to the parts guy.

7. you have yourself a recall letter that says whatever you want it to say. =)

Hope that helps.

Too complicated - and illegal to forge - possibly going too far - I'd prefer you made up an Acura Dealership in the states and made up a name for the service guy - that way you invented documents instead of forged them.

Best answer is talk to whoever was worried and negotiate, "As of this date there are no recalls" should make the guy comfortable if he's worried about future liability.

I just brought my NSX up from the states 6 weeks ago ... as previously mentioned, all you have to do is the following:

Print this page
Print this page
Take these TWO print-outs to you when you get your RIV inspection done and you're set.

If there is anyone who has a problem with this, please feel free to PM me as I know several people who will get you through the RIV process with no problems.

FWIW, if you buy a 15 year old car (ie a 91-92), you are exempt from the RIV process. You don't even need to bother...

FWIW, if you buy a 15 year old car (ie a 91-92), you are exempt from the RIV process. You don't even need to bother...

If the vehicle is 15 years or older you are right you don't have to do the RIV. They don't care anymore. I'm picking my car up tommorrow and brining it back next weekend and I have a letter from the dealer with there acura search for recalls attached aswell as the print out from the owner link. This is all you need. American Honda wouldn't give us a recall letter and were an Acura dealer.

I talked to a lady at RIV and she emailed a PDF file that showed, step-by-step, exactly what to do to pass the inspection.

The brief explanation is as follows:
Print this page
Print this page

Take these TWO print-outs to your DMV as they constitute the mandatory Manufacturer's Letter.

Tony
ps. I followed the 8.5x14" double-sided brochure from www.riv.ca to-the-letter and the transaction went flawlessly.

RIV accepts this print out from www.ahm-ownerlink.com I asked them they said it was fine... but I also had the American Honda dealer write me a letter anyway just to make sure. Canadian Tire had no issues with mine, check the DRL's Child safety bolt kit, made sure the SRS lights went on and off when starting the car, french labels I had made up but they just took a quick look and that was it... pass in 5mins! :smile:

do you have the letter head ill put my vin number in its place im certain it could work

How did you make out with the letterhead? I know this was a while back. I do not own an NSX but own a Honda Pilot....I purchased it in the US last week, I live in Canada, it was a salvage vehicle but rebuildable, ( which we did) but I now need a recall letter from Honda. Honda will not release one as they do not do that. pathetic, any other auto company issues them. Man I was mad. You had mentioned you used another users letterhead...did it work? I am stuck, and big time upset, I have a lot of money into this stupid Pilot but do not know what to do. Any ideas. Thank you.

Tanya

Tanya, dont worry about it, I just got a TL a week ago, salvage as well, and I called Honda USA and they wont get me one either..

I called RIV and they were super nice... They said pulling one from the honda website is fine.. no letterhead needed..

Relax.. I freaked out today when they didnt get me one.. RIV will help u out..

hope this helps!

Ron

Back