• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help Sos Trunk Struts!!

order them from sos or the dealer, why rebuild them its a common failure and the new ones only cost from the dealer like $23.00, how much to rebuild them? 80 a piece? goodluck. and if you have these Aftermarket Spoiler are to heavy for the OEM shocks, or SOS version, to Much weight

Last edited:
I'd rather not buy these from SOS when they failed after a little more than a year. These are HATCH struts not trunk struts BTW... New OEM units are more than a rebuild and probably won't last as long.

Wow! I got lucky. My SOS struts have been fine for a year now. Anyone know how the Canadian fellow makes them stouter?

Yes, Frank owner of "StrutWise" does a great job making these Struts better than new. I had Frank renew my struts and they are working great.

Plus he is a Really Great guy.

Bram

Last edited:
Yes, Frank owner of "StrutWise" does a great job making these Struts better than new. I had Frank renew my struts and they are working great.

Plus he is a Really Great guy.

Bram

I had all 4 rebuilt on my old '91 by Frank as well and they are way stronger than stock, they will hold up a heavier aftermarket spoiler as well. I did also recently pick up a set of SOS hatch ones for my '00 haven't installed them yet though.

I've been having good luck with the Columbia 70 lb. struts but they've been discontinued. I just got in a shipment of GSB struts and they are awesome!

Almost 100 lbs. of compression each...they actually push the trunk up from about the 3/4 position onward. This was a cold weather test so they should be even better in warm weather.

Same fitment and dimensions as the Columbia CS750-70.

My first batch of SOS struts were bad, but they replaced them no questions asked. The second batch have been working great for the past 6 months. No problems what so ever!

Interesting that some of the factory replacement ones are failing quickly. My old original trunk struts (with light carbon wing) still hold it up and it is a '91! Admittedly they were getting weak until I added the carbon wing.:biggrin:

Back