• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HELP! What is frying my voltage regulator?

Hi, a few days ago i was driving and my battery light came on and eps came on. i determined it was the alternator and removed it and got it rebuilt. the shop that rebuilt it confirmed the voltage regulator was fried. So after they repaired it i re-installed into the car, started it up it ran for 10 seconds no battery light then i heard a "click" sound and the battery light came on, i went to look at the alternator and saw some smoke coming from it. i immediately shut the car off. and check everything. belt was tight all connections were good. so i started it back up and the battery light remains on with the volts showing 12v. when i hit tap on the gas it temporary turns off but volts stay the same and it comes back on at release. i still hear a "click" sound ever 5 or so seconds and im pretty sure the voltage regulator is fried again:mad:....what could be the problem? why is my alternator frying? Please Help!

Last edited:
which specific grounds should i be looking at? I haven't had the NSX for long so not familiar where everything is yet. should also mention it has a CTSC on it.

Check the ground straps (both ends) from the engine to the frame. I think there are 2, 1 on the passenger side and 1 on the drivers side. I don't think loose/bad grounds will fry a voltage regulator, so check for grounds on your positive leads as well.
Good Luck!

You should check the alternator extension cable that was used to relocate the Alternator due to the SC on your car, these can cause problems if not connected properly.

I would also recommend that you check all the grounding cables starting from the main one at the battery tray, and into the engine bay. Since you had the clutch replaced I would pay attention to the one's within the engine bay.

IF you don't have a manual, you should download the one off Prime and used this as reference, the grounding cable location will be the same for 1991 thru 2005.

Bram

There are two engine grounds right? I found the one from the fire wall to the engine and its solid. I couldn't locate the transmission one though. Is it on the drivers side? What is it attached to? I will check the extension plug, just had a new regulator put in again and I want to make sure I cover all grounds before I install the alternator again.

EDIT: well i tightened every bolt i could find, checked all the wires and even pulled the battery out and re-installed it. turned off the shock sensor on the alarm(turned it on 2 weeks ago) threw the alt back in and fired her up. BACK TO NORMAL...no idea what the actual problem was but glad its back!

Last edited:
Back