• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help with Price Eval for 1991 Black/black manual

Had a chance to check out a one family, 2 owners (father and son), '91 black NSX manual.
Please help with price recommendation, since I am new to NA-1/2 NSX and prices all all over the place.

Black/Black manual
-117,000 miles
-radio doesn't work
-AC works but "may need some recharge", yet blows cold
-moderately worn driver's side seat bolster that has not torn yet, but deep creases
-seats/windows work

-plenty of light damages to panels (no deep, big dents) but looks like someone old and/blind keeps getting the car scratched on the lower panels of the car, front/sides when parking
-front lower spoiler/bumper is cracked from aforementioned likely parking mishaps
-paint is oxidized
-moisture in left brake lights of rear strip
-original wheels needs refinishing due to curb rash

-apparently, car doesn't get driven much (originally in NE then moved to west coast), so when I was there, engine is warmed (so the engine ran before my showing up), but cannot be restarted, even with jumper pack. He apparently was able to jump started it later with another car, so may had been the jumper pack instead.
-both front (spare tire)/rear (engine) compartments are dusty with signs of light coating of corrosion typical of Northeast engine bays after a few hard years as daily driver kind of way.
-right exhaust is lower than left side with no obvious signs of lose or bend exhaust hangers.
-rusted out front hood latch
-"my father doesn't really keep service records"

Reason I ask is I am either going to:
1. Do a cheap Maaco spray with some major mechanical servicing and just drive the heck out of it
2. Do complete mechanical servicing (Daisy Import Auto comes to mind), then top notch paint job, followed by interior.

So the million-dollar-question is for the experts:

How much is this NSX worth?
What would you do?

thanks so much for your time and appreciate any and all responses.
-HL

based on your description...we still don't know the health of the motor, nor transmission.....those are big items,,,otherwise the car sounds like it has been run hard and not pampered..but miles for a 91 are average....so it would be a project car..I would not budget a restoration on this car...track car or wide body maybe.....price will depend on the motor/tranny...

Compression and leak down test numbers would be helpful. I agree with [MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION], this car is a good candidate for a track car, but not a restoration given all the uncertainty about maintenance history.

Major mechanical servicing (assuming you are NOT doing it yourself) will run thousands of dollars and will likely take even more money over time to get it fully sorted.

You didn't say what the seller was asking or did you indicate what your overall budget (purchase price and major service costs) is for this car. That info would also be helpful so we can help you with potential unrealistic expectations.

One thing you need to know is the VIN, and even better the trans serial number. Value will heavily depend on if the car has a snap-ring trans, if it does and there are no records, assume the trans will need that repair, Big$$$$

Thanks so much for the advice so far.
didnt drive it, so couldn’t answer questions on the engine and transmission.
However, I do believe him that the engine runs ok and transmission is also ok.

hes asking <$20k

thanks
HL

hes asking <$20k

No NSX that runs and doesn't have a story goes for under $20k.

Rusted hood latch? Might be a flood car.

If you are looking to spend under $20k for an NSX then you shouldn't be buying an NSX. "My dad doesn't keep records" sounds like a BS story.

If you are looking to spend under $20k for an NSX then you shouldn't be buying an NSX. "My dad doesn't keep records" sounds like a BS story.
I wasn’t looking for an NSX under $20k, and i was actually looking for nsx in the range of $45-55k. However, I followed up an nsx that was asking for $32k last year, but the guy ended up offering a price without my asking for $15k. Have a part of bottom feeders gene in me and i was wondering if anyone would think a driving/braking and maybe shifting manual nsx with a clean title is worth that. After seeing the car, I’m not sure if the car is even worth $10k, bc it will take more than $35-40k just to get it to a condition that some $45-50k nsx are now without any story.

No NSX that runs and doesn't have a story goes for under $20k.

buzz kill.....

buzz kill.....
can you elaborate?

by the way, checked out the original owner on google and at least his story is real regarding who he is and such. Pretty prominent guy here in the northeast. son is also “real”, just not really car guys like us.

thanks
hoi

.was that lefty?????

haha I think we were all champs in the 80's.....just sayin....

Great advice everyone....
So is any manual nsx with 120k miles that is driveable and isn’t a rust bucket with a clean title worth $10-15k?

I think you should do a bit more research. Macco isn’t an option. The panels are aluminum and once you pull in there with an nsx for paint, prepare for sticker shock. I’d never take any car to Macco either. I bought an nsx for 16k and I regret it only because it required 4 times that cost to get it to my liking. This is a very hard car to walk away from. It has timeless design, a whailing engine noise, and the best gearbox under the sun from Honda. Be prepared for a long ride if buying a fixer upper. But it is fun.:wink:

Back