• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hesitation starting car

Hi Guys,

My 92 Acura nsx has been having problems starting up, The car had problems starting so the first thing i changed was the Main Relay, after changing that part the car starting fine for about 2-3 weeks and then one day i start the car and it dies right away, so i then changed the Ignition switch. Now that i changed all of that the car seems like it hesitates before it can start up. I have to crank it alittle longer then normal for it to start up. I hear the fuel pump coming on and everything so i was wondering what the problem could be? it feels like the car is starving on gas so my next step is changing the spark plugs and fuel filter.

Any advice would help.

Thanks,

Mike

Before changing the plugs you may want to try cleaning the throttle body. Better to do it first, then change the plugs.

Mike

update, as i was taking the airbox off i noticed that the starter solenoid cable was missing the spade connector, looks like the previous owner cut it off and just left the wire hanging in the connector space... so i went ahead and put a new spade connector on the wire, now i'm just waiting on my new plugs that i ordered to arrive and i'll see if it still has a hesitation problem.

I'll keep you guys updated! :smile:

Do you allow for the fuel pump to prime the system before attempting to start it? I usually turn the key to the on position, let the fuel system pressurize. Once I hear the fuel pump shut off, then I turn it to the start position. Starts up quicker than if I just try to start it without doing that. Especially if the car has been sitting for a few weeks.

Hi Guys,

My 92 Acura nsx has been having problems starting up, The car had problems starting so the first thing i changed was the Main Relay, after changing that part the car starting fine for about 2-3 weeks and then one day i start the car and it dies right away, so i then changed the Ignition switch. Now that i changed all of that the car seems like it hesitates before it can start up. I have to crank it alittle longer then normal for it to start up. I hear the fuel pump coming on and everything so i was wondering what the problem could be? it feels like the car is starving on gas so my next step is changing the spark plugs and fuel filter.

Any advice would help.

Thanks,

Mike

We went through the same problems you was having with our first NSX and turn out that it was the fuel pump that was causing this problem even through I can still hear the fuel pump kick on. End up changing the fuel pump and the car started right up with no hesitation what so ever, Actually car even drive and feels better after the fuel pump was replace. Its a 92 time to start replacing some old parts out with some new parts so you can have the car running smooth if you know what I mean :wink: Hope this help :smile:

Last edited:
We went through the same problems you was having with our first NSX and turn out that it was the fuel pump that was causing this problem even through I can still hear the fuel pump kick on. End up changing the fuel pump and the car started right up with no hesitation what so ever, Actually car even drive and feels better after the fuel pump was replace. Its a 92 time to start replacing some old parts out with some new parts so you can have the car running smooth if you know what I mean :wink: Hope this help :smile:

yeah i think its time, just gonna change my plugs and stuff and call the shop n see how much it cost to change my fuel pump

yeah i think its time, just gonna change my plugs and stuff and call the shop n see how much it cost to change my fuel pump

You should up grade your fuel pump to the walbro 255. You can get it from SOS. Its only $120 or so :wink:

Back