• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HIDs not compatible with 92 NSX?

Ok, so I plugged in my new HID kit this weekend and I got nothing. Nada. Zilch. So I just assumed that the kit was bad. Just to check, I plugged it into the BMW to see if it would fire off... No problem. Kit works as intended. So, is my NSX just not generating enough juice to fire them off? They are 35w ballasts.

Any ideas? Do I need to make a custom harness?

Mpire said:
Ok, so I plugged in my new HID kit this weekend and I got nothing. Nada. Zilch. So I just assumed that the kit was bad. Just to check, I plugged it into the BMW to see if it would fire off... No problem. Kit works as intended. So, is my NSX just not generating enough juice to fire them off? They are 35w ballasts.

Any ideas? Do I need to make a custom harness?

What type of kit did you get? Is it one for the NSX or a generic universal kit?
I bought one from a Prime member that makes them especially for the NSX and it is a plug-n-play and didn't have any issues. I've had it for many months and it works perfectly.

zahntech said:
The wire colors on the NSX are misleading..sounds like you have to polarity reversed.

yes that is correct.

everyone always make this first mistake and thinks its the HID kit itself.

reverse the wires and it will work.

black goes to white, and white goes to black.

sometimes the wire is red. just to throw DIYers off :)

evof575gtc said:
yes that is correct.

everyone always make this first mistake and thinks its the HID kit itself.

reverse the wires and it will work.

black goes to white, and white goes to black.

sometimes the wire is red. just to throw DIYers off :)

i had the same problem too, reverse the wires will do the trick.

didn't know it was the nsx wiring that caused the confusion though.

All you need to do is reverse the wires? Damn!!! And I have to do some 'hotwiring' to my hIDs before they work. I even had to install an extra relay.

Gotta try reversing the wires tomorrow

I will try that this weekend. My balasts are about a third of the size of those in the pic. I just have to find some place to mount them.

Well, I was thinking of using velcro to attach the ballasts to the top of the headlight housing, but I decided against that. Ended up drilling holes through the top brace of the light housing and just bolting them there in place. Now the light output is amazing. I guess there are some pretty nice projectors in there stock. Only problem, is that its a slightly bluish light. (6500k) So it makes the other lights look really yellow. Oh, its horrible. Now I gotta do HIDs on the high beams too. Where can I put the ballasts? They are about the size of 4 triple A batteries in a row. And what about the turn signals and parking lights? What type of bulbs do I need, and can someone recommend some LEDs that would work? Do you get a bulb out indicator on the NSX?

Swapping polarity fixed the problem right up. Just pulled the pins from the connector and swapped them. Fired right up.

Mpire said:
Only problem, is that its a slightly bluish light. (6500k) So it makes the other lights look really yellow. Oh, its horrible. Now I gotta do HIDs on the high beams too.

And what about the turn signals and parking lights? What type of bulbs do I need, and can someone recommend some LEDs that would work? Do you get a bulb out indicator on the NSX?

Hi

:biggrin: hehe..tell me about it

<-------

I started out with HID low beams. Then HID high and fog's. I swapped out the parking lights to LED's too. I have some more LED's so I will swap out the turnsignals too. I also have bulbs for the interior.

Do a search for D'Ecosse and LED's. I got the ones I have from him. I can't remember where they where from. But there are threads on this forum that discuss them.

Regards

Zennsx said:
My wife bought me a kit from Prime-member Whitensx, Its absolutely perfect. Heres a pic of the ballast /ignitor install.

Best way to go IMHO.
Buy a kit made JUST for the NSX. Not one that is compatible with the NSX, Accord, Lexus, Corrola, S-10's, etc. :rolleyes:

Well, the kits they sell "FOR THE NSX" are no different than the other kits out there. Fact is that most of those kits are expensive, and the ballasts are huge. My ballasts have the ignighter in the cable right behind the bulb, so you can put the ballast as far away as you want and it will still not draw too much power on startup. The ballasts are downright tiny. As in smaller than a deck of cards in length and thickness. I would say about the size of 4 AAA batteries. That and I get them for under $250. Sounds like a perfect setup to me. I have two sets in the BMW, and one set in the NSX. Soon to be multiple sets in the NSX I think.

If anyone wants a kit, I can swap the wires on the harness for free. So now I have a "NSX Only" kit. And my ballasts are smaller than the Xenon Depot kit. Also, the ignighter is in the cord, so its like the cord swallowed a AA battery. Everyone who sees the lights says they rock.

Here is a pic of the custom headlights on the BMW. I built them using the 90mm hella projectors. Pretty sweet if you ask me. They really can blind an army.

Attachments

• DSC02796.JPG
    DSC02796.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 80
Back