• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

High hp cars what battery are you using?

I was wondering what battery any of you high horsepower FI guys are using besides the factory battery? My lithium iron battery doesn't seem able to crank over my 3.5 stroker twin turbo build and I am curious if any of you guys are using this or a similar battery on a similar build.

Optima red top angus single turbo. Cranks great no issues. It's pretty new so don't know how it will be a year or two from now

I was wondering what battery any of you high horsepower FI guys are using besides the factory battery? My lithium iron battery doesn't seem able to crank over my 3.5 stroker twin turbo build and I am curious if any of you guys are using this or a similar battery on a similar build.

I have the same setup and battery, cranks like a champ.

Odd job you have the same battery and a stroker turbo and it kicks over with no issues. Maybe there is an issue with the battery

Yep, I've got the 3.5L w/ TT, using that shinobi or whatever battery, cranks hard and fast.

The 3.5L in general takes many more turns to startup than the 3.0L, that's for sure. Helps if I turn the key on and let the fuel pump prime before turning it over, then jab the gas pedal once or twice.

But this was an issue w/ the 3.5L before I got the new battery...took more to start even w/ the factory battery. If yours isn't cranking hard and fast, put it on a tender overnight and try again. If it still doesn't do it, make sure you've got solid connections on the terminals, maybe pull em and rough em up, clean everything,

It might be 3.5L but it's lower compression too. It should be working fine. It's cranking my engine with a blower on top. Even after sitting over 2 weeks.

The NSXs battery location is perfect for a heavy battery. You won't get much of a handling benefit from a light battery compared to pretty much any other CSR that I'm familiar with.

What's the CCA of your Li-Ion?

Since getting stranded is a PITA, I'd have a reliable battery in there at the cost of some weight. Put an Optima Red Top or one with comparable CCAs and capacity.

Stock compression on mine with a ctsc. Therefore harder to turn over than stock. Also have the Shorai in my BRZ which has 12:1 compression. No issues with the Odyssey or the Shorai.

It's easy to kill the Shorai if it's been mishandled or treated poorly. My guess is that SOS has little experience handling lith-iron and jumped it, or let it die all the way, or use an agm charger, or various other possibilities.

The drawback with the Shorai is it requires more care in ownership.

Regan I've both let mine die all the way, deep cycled it like 5 times now, and I have jumped it every time. It works perfectly still. Holds a long ass charge, and turns the motor over after a 3 second jump. I mean it recharges FAST. I freaking love this little battery. What I have not done is use an incorrect charger on it. But I just wanted to mention I've abused mine and its still working great.

I just switched back to a Optima yellow top group 34 that I had sitting new on my tool box for 2 years, after the Walmart battery Cody installed lasted about a week. I think it has 800 cca which is more than enough for my 3.425L motor, and when I mashed the throttle to the floor.......I couldn't tell the difference between that and my 20lb lighter stock battery....haha.

Back