• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Highest All Motor Numbers

satan_srv said:
I'm sorry but I don't give a lot of respect to people who choose to pick at little points like my choice of verbiage of motor vs. engine...
Respect...not warranted because of the post. Tollerance (or the ability to see a comical jab), yes, it is. Sometimes I think I am the only one that actually laughs at some of the stuff Andy types. :confused:

KGP said:
Respect...not warranted because of the post. Tollerance (or the ability to see a comical jab), yes, it is. Sometimes I think I am the only one that actually laughs at some of the stuff Andy types. :confused:

i can take it, I just don't know the guy I guess. It came off more condescending than anything. But if he posts again I'll ignore/be nice. Not trying to cause ish, just want the answers, which I can certainly find out on my own, but everyone benefits when we have the discussions.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Highest All Motor Numbers

KGP said:
Short answer: Their HO NA build increases displacement to 3.5l. In one instance, the owner opted to only go to 3.3l because he was going to spray.

what's the bore and stroke on the 3.5? damn those are some thick sleeves...

satan_srv said:
i can take it.... but everyone benefits when we have the discussions.
Yes, we do. Keep in mind that Andy goes to great lengths in posting what he has learned.

Oh, that doesn't mean I haven't agreed with everyting he has posted, or how so. We all have an occasional beef with others. Heck, I wish like hell the Andy would reference his quotes so I wouldn't have to go back and search to see who said what. :p

That should be a 95mm over bore, stock stroke. for a total of 3.3L. It is possible to over bore more at the expense of sleeve strength.....But then forget spraying.

-Ray

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Highest All Motor Numbers

satan_srv said:
what's the bore and stroke on the 3.5? damn those are some thick sleeves...
Joel, Call Mikey at FX and ask him, cause I dunno. Just don't take too much of his time away from my engine. :D

NA1 #2853 said:
That should be a 95mm over bore, stock stroke. for a total of 3.3L. It is possible to over bore more at the expense of sleeve strength.....But then forget spraying.

-Ray

what's the max bore you can go on a sleeves like those? I'm guessing they are maxxing out ay 97mm for 3458cc, or 98mm for 3530cc

satan_srv said:
I say nothing revolutionary because it wasn't the only DOHC VTEC motor out there doing it right in 1990

The JDM H22a was DOHC VTEC, 10.6:1 compression, 90BHP/L (197hp, 2.2l), 7400 redline, also in 1990.

I'm not comparing this to IROC motors :p

Well that would be the same engineers working on the same basic technology but releasing it in a relative econobox mule first, intentionally. None of which changes anything, especially since what I said is that it was not common place, which was an understatement. And I never mentioned IROC, which happens to be different than CART.

Can we argue about the color of the sky now? :confused:

As for the engine comment, it is general statement but it's true. You can gloss it over all you want but a legend motor was the starting point for the NSX engine development.

And a Porsche flat 6 is a Type 1 (VW) with a couple extra jugs, and a Subaru is a water cooled version of that (so is the Porsche these days), and of course a Ferrari flat twelve is just a fancy cousin of those, and... I forget, what's your point? :rolleyes:

Gloss it over all you like, but the only real innovation in the past 100 years in the Wankel. :D

sjs said:
Well that would be the same engineers working on the same basic technology but releasing it in a relative econobox mule first, intentionally. None of which changes anything, especially since what I said is that it was not common place, which was an understatement. And I never mentioned IROC, which happens to be different than CART.

90bhp/l econobox eh?

IROC is a mid-80's camaro it was a joke dude!

I confess that the big overbore thing worries me just a bit. As I understood it at the time, Honda went with the FRM cylinders so they could increase the bore without risking cooling issues. The FRM allowed thinner liner walls making room for a larger bore without infringing on coolant passages around them. The new material may also inherently cool batter, but either way they went to a lot of trouble compared to what people are starting to do with sleeves. I've discussed this with other people who feel certain that modern liners such as Dartons will be fine and adequate cooling will still be possible, but I guess I'll remain slightly nervous until people have run them for more than a few thousand miles and pushed them at the track.

satan_srv said:
90bhp/l econobox eh?

You must have missed/ignored the word "relative". And the same can still be said of the RSX, no matter the HP/liter.

satan_srv said:

IROC is a mid-80's camaro it was a joke dude!

Dude, it is an acronym for International Race Of Champions, a race series that did originally use matched Camaros, and after which Chevy did badge a lame-ass production car.

I confess that the big overbore thing worries me just a bit. As I understood it at the time, Honda went with the FRM cylinders so they could increase the bore without risking cooling issues. The FRM allowed thinner liner walls making room for a larger bore without infringing on coolant passages around them. The new material may also inherently cool batter, but either way they went to a lot of trouble compared to what people are starting to do with sleeves. I've discussed this with other people who feel certain that modern liners such as Dartons will be fine and adequate cooling will still be possible, but I guess I'll remain slightly nervous until people have run them for more than a few thousand miles and pushed them at the track.

I like the FX sleeve job, with the open deck design still allowing good cooling.....

Golen Eagle sleeve meathod is nice. Instead of being solid, they are a semi open desk design. With fingers/struts extending from the sleeves to the block. Now the part i really like is that they place those struts down from the top of the sleeve, so that there is still coolant all the way around the cylinders, in the upper area where the combustion happens.

-Ray

Damn, NA. I need a microscope!

stole these pics from overboost.com since this is the best pic of my description that i could find on short notice

pic 3 of 3

Attachments

• dscn7001.jpg
    dscn7001.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 204
NA1 #2853 said:
this is the best pic of my description that i could find on short notice
Because the pics are so small, I can't make heads or tails from them. However, from your initial description it sounded like taking the "pins" in the pic bellow and moving them slightly down the wall. Yes/No?

attachment.php

Because the pics are so small, I can't make heads or tails from them. However, from your initial description it sounded like taking the "pins" in the pic bellow and moving them slightly down the wall. Yes/No?

Yes imagine that and darton combined.

-Ray

Thanks, Ray. Yes, that is just what I suspected you were referring to. Certainly makes sence in an aggressive over-bore situation. Where is the black and white line though?

Back