• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Highest temp lubricant for backing pad shims?

I am drying out the lubricant/grease from track sessions. I have been using the CRC disc brake quiet pinkish stuff.

So what is the highest temp lubricant that racers/trackers use - assuming they still use the backing shims?

I just bought a lubricatnt from NAPA (haven't used it yet), their Sil Glyde which is purportedy non-melting, non-freezing, non-gumming and weatheroroof. They claim that it is good to +600F. That's the temp of my rear rotors in the paddock! TIA.

Ya know Hrant, you've got an out of control obsession with brake temps. All you really need is more 'go' pedal and less 'whoa' pedal. And some decent track tires would help too. :rolleyes: Have you heard that before?

BTW, send that "worthless" Sil Glyde down here to the Blue Note. We like it better than AstroGlide !!! :tongue:

Try Krytox maybe? Was being used in CART & killer 911 CV joints by some shop I read about in European car about 10 yrs ago.

Jake, who have you been talking to lately .......... :redface: :wink:

At least among my peers with equal footing, (and sum bastards are known to cheat), I am still keeping pace with my street tires .......... :tongue:

But Santa might grant your and those who are egging you on this wish if the stars are aligned right :biggrin:

Have you tried the gold LM 508 anti-seize from lubro moly? Its the stuff you can put on o2 sensor threads. I use it on my brakes.

Good suggestions. Did a search on Lubro Moly anti-sieze compound, all the web sites say the same thing which does not identify the temp range for its application. Stumbled on Moly HTL which notes application on calipers that reach 1000F. So it seems that moly*something is the direction to do more research.

Upon further research with a chemist, the moly products will oxidize at about 800-900F or something like that ...... there are some products with additives that evaporate at those temps without leaving any residue (like burnt carbon) but he was not aware of any lube that can withstand up to 1200F if exposed to air. Will keep looking :wink:

Last edited:
Thanks Peter. I'll give it a try. Based on 3M's website, it is indeed recommended for brakes albeit still with a temp range up to 400F only.

Last edited:
Hrant, You have always come across to me as a man who puts a value to everything, including time! I think that you have spent atleast $20,000 on the research of brake temperatures on your car? It is my opinion that you would save alot of $$$$$ by calling shad and purchasing tha Comptech pro kit and never worrying about brake temps again. Besides Al is stepping out of the frugal zone. Word has it he purchased a power grip II clutch and with the dedudtion of flywheel weight he will accellerate faster and may even out the extra HP that you posess? I think it is time for you to fully get in the game. Humbly yours, Kip Olson

Last edited:
Et tu Kip :eek: .......... no pressure right :tongue:

My handicap is not the brakes themselves but the street tires ....... and yes, isn't it a challenge to see how long I can still keep pace with those on R compound not to mention slicks, SC, and other cheating mods before I get totally humiliated :redface: :biggrin: But then you added cooling ducts to your big brakes too so when does the competition end :wink:

Yeah, Al must be feeling pretty good, he also got the short shifter, but he already had similar hp since he has the header and exhaust so let's not give him more excuses. I think I will transition to track tires first, then the need for more cooling of the brakes, and yes bigger brakes help, and then the need for more track suspension, downforce, then more power ........ I have avoided the slippery slope thus far but talent can go only so far, time to start cheating too :biggrin: :tongue:

Last edited:
that a boy, It never ends!!!!!! That being said, I tried the prototype of the splitter/full undertray today at thill. Wow! I will save all of the details for dinner conversation. You will all need one. Kip

Re: Kip's new WMD

I tried the prototype of the splitter/full undertray today at thill. Wow! I will save all of the details for dinner conversation. You will all need one. Kip

Kip, my man, you should take the time (which, we understand, you now have) to write it down and do a shameless plug for your bro Shad. Post it for Doc John on his "A Wing and A Prayer" thread.

Oh, but don't tell us any lap times. I don't need the embarassment !!!! :redface:

I also tried one of CRC's synthetic products along with few other brands. Eventually I resorted back to what the NSX shop manual suggested to use: Molykote M-77 paste.

Dow Corning makes Molykote products. http://www.dowcorning.com/applicati...g=00000594&prod=01005103&type=PROD&notag=true
The spec sheets specify that the operating temperature is up to 230 C (446 degrees Fahrenheit) with an ultimate temperature of 450 C (842 degrees Fahrenheit).

You can also check the Dow Corning website for other products that may work for you. The best part of Dow Corning is that they will send you a free sample of any of their products. The sample of the M-77 paste they sent me was a 473 ml jar that will last me at least 10 years! :tongue:

The best thing I found in keeping the shims clear is to stay on top of the cleaning. If I get lazy and leave them unattended for a few weeks, the grease will eventually burn up and cake onto the shims. By keeping the shims constantly clean and freshly lubricated, I have found them to be clear of the crud.

Good luck and happy "free sampling" at Dow Corning

There is a product used in high temp application at steel mills called Never Sieze, the monel bearing lub is rated at 1,100 degrees and I believe it is distributed by McMaster Carr.
Bob

Hrant said:
... how do you keep the shims constantly clean and lubricated, do you disassemble the calipers every time:confused:

The only way I know is to take them apart. It's only the 2 fronts anyways ... so about 3/4 hour every 4 weeks is not so bad.

Back