• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hilly area with speed bumps - how to handle?

Curious to hear from anyone (especially with aftermarket suspension) who has lived or had to deal with areas that have frequent elevation changes, hilly slopes and speed bumps. How does this affect your experience with your car (if any) or how did you adjust?

Last edited:
My car is pretty low on Tein suspension, speed bumps aren't really the issue for me as the body rises with the suspension. If anything go over them at least at a 45 degree angle. I have more problems with dips or expansion joints on highway overpasses, my front lip took a beating. To offset having my own front lip inventory stock, I went the route of buying Ravi's ( Umbrella ) VRH air suspension kit to alleviate that problem.

Hilly doesn't create any issues for me as long as the road is ok. My car also has Teins with Bilsteins which are a bit rough to me (I want my stock shockes back although I love the lowered springs). I think I have NSX-R 'linkage' of some sort too (they came on the car and I have not looked to confirm what they are). It's lower about 3/4 front and 1" back. Oddly the uneven drop has nearly the same 'driveway clearance' as stock I think. Always 45 degrees on driveways and speed bumps I go extremely slow over. That said the moderate speed bumps (6' wide suckers we have with about 3" elevation), I barely slow down for those with no issue.

As far as the experience side, I miss my 1992's stock suspension feel. My 2000 has the billsteins. I don't like the rough ride and frankly it jumps around on the road more with them. I will keep the lowering but will likely go back to stock struts.

Back