• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hmm...

I read your "debt free" comment and need to say something, as a guy who lends $$$ to both businesses and people in financial trouble I have to say that living within your means is KEY.

Yes, most of us would enjoy an ENZO more than an NSX, it wouldn't make sense to stop eating so you could afford to make the monthly lease payments.

Perhaps the greatest feeling we can have is the sense of "financial stability" the "I can slurge on a few more dinners" or "I'm not worried about what she's gonna cost me... (Rick)"

If you are even feeling the smallest pressure to make a wise financial decision DO IT!!! A car depreciates each day, an investment in real estate tends to be more stable, I wonder what your current rent plus $1000 a month would do for you?

Taking back my teasing, which it was for humour's sake only, the Z3 is a great car, better than most people's, and they go good on the track. Buy it and feel financially stable, its actually a better feeling than owning shit you can't easily afford.

This is 100% correct. Even if you own something that is older, or cheaper, but you actually OWN it free and clear...that is WAY better than the opposite. My father told me once when we were talking about the American tradition of getting in debt up to your eyeballs and beyond for some, that if you owe $10,000 to your credit card or car payment, but have $8,000 in the bank, that money in the bank is not REALLY yours. Sure, it may make you feel good that it is there, but until you are DEBT FREE, absolutely NONE of the money you save is really yours at all. I for one agree, and prefer to have older cars that I own, as opposed to being strapped for cash to make a $750 per month car payment like some of the people I work with just so they can brag about the car they 'own'. Being debt free is not always easy or flashy, but it makes it easier to breathe and sleep at night.

Exactly my thoughts.

The NSX went up for sale today on local forums. I honestly doubt I'll put it up here, since an American car cannot be re-imported into the US, and that's where most of the people on this site are from.

I had lots of replies from Canadians when I put up my car last year, but they were all lowballers. I think the best offer I got was for $60k CAD for my '01. I would still put it up here on prime and make it clear in the listing that you have imported a US car to Canada, but that it has now passed all of the RIV requirements. Free advertising can never hurt. It's too bad about the USD conversion now. I bought when it was $1.24 and now it's down to $1.06.

Exactly my thoughts.

The NSX went up for sale today on local forums. I honestly doubt I'll put it up here, since an American car cannot be re-imported into the US, and that's where most of the people on this site are from.

I didn't know you couldn't send a US car back to the states.
Bummer!!!

Bummer!!!

Why is that?

I sold a Canadian car in the states twice when I lived there. No problem.

That's not true -- there are shady dealerships in Michigan who own a leasing company in Ontario ... they import a salvaged / flood damaged car to Ontario ... then reimport it back to Michigan ... and voila ... CLEAN TITLE. That's why I am so hesitant to buy higher end cars from auction due to these shady dealers...

I'd rather buy a 1-owner car or a car returned off a lease so at least the records are "clean". Call me paranoid.

Why is that?

I sold a Canadian car in the states twice when I lived there. No problem.

Yeh, but what about the case of buying a US car, bringing it back to Canada, RIV and all that stuff, then trying to sell it back to someone in the states.
(that might be diff than just selling an original Canadian car to someone in the US)

I'm not sure, but am curious.

Yes, you can sell back and forth.........I ship for clients who buy cars, restore them and sell them to buyers in USA and I ship them back. Each transaction needs to go thru the import/export process, taxes, etc. but it can be done.

Back