• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda Accord OEM steering wheel in NSX?

3c_1.JPG

My friend has a 2003 Accord and I like the steering wheel he has in it. I've never been a fan of the 4 spoke steering wheels and the NSX steering wheel just isn't attractive. Without getting into a steering wheel that has no air bag, I thought it would look nice to get the black/metal looking wheel for my NSX. Would help in updating the interior along with a few other trim pieces I think.

Any of you on the boards done this swap? Is it just a swap? Anyone know where to find a nice used unit from a wreck or someone wanting to put in a Momo or something else than OEM?

Any light on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Tim

That is a very intersting question. I love my MDX steering wheel more than my NSX. Anyone can share some info if this is doable?

I've been thiking along these lines, except I want to use a wheel from an EP Civic Si, black with red stitching:
ep_hatch_041.jpg

Could use either the Honda "H" airbag or an RSX "A" airbag, depending on which way your JDM love leans.

AFAIK, the splines on the steering shaft are all the same across just about every model Honda ever built, so bolting it on should be easy. The only trouble might arise from how the airbag operates with the SRS unit, and how the wiring for things like the horn and cruise buttons operate through the cable reel. I'm keeping an eye out for a used wheel, and if I get my hands on it I'll let you all know how it goes :wink:

automotive-genetic recombination...

I'm not keen on the sharing of inter-model DNA (ie. components) for a car as distinguished as the NSX, unless there is a functional/technical advantage. The original anology of 'rice' in regards to import-tuning/mod'z actually was towards swapping parts on cars from different manufacturers or different models w/o a need.

Now w/ that said, Lexus steering wheels can be swapped on many of the models (ie. LS400 -> ES300).

Try looking at things from a reverse-application... find out if Civic, Integra, Accord, Prelude, and other owners have successfully mounted/installed a NSX steering wheel. I know that NSX brakes, seats, and other components have been retro-fitted on other Honda models.

This is the same question I have. The NSX steering wheel is too aged, mainly because of the large airbag. The newer Honda/Acura models come with a smaller airbag. I want to do the same, but worry about the wiring situation. Maybe one of the garage owners with expertise in Honda/Acura can let us know if this is "do-able" project.

I think the wiring of the Accord/MDX, or late model Honda uses different wiring system, if you can figure out which one is which, I'm sure it will work. You have to altered the wires, that is a sure thing.

Been tinking along those lines too. Civic Type-R has a nice steering wheel..

DC5STEERWHEEL.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo..................

Please guys... Don't go putting civic/accord/jazz/integra steering wheels on an NSX!!! That is the first thing anyone looking at your car looks at!

Imagine looking through the window of an Enzo and seeing a Fiat steering wheel... :eek:

On another tangent... I just picked one of these...

However I now have a problem, because it was second hand, the guy has lost the wiring diagram...

Can anyone help me out with a wiring diagram or will I have to get the rest of the car so I can plug it in to use it?

Attachments

• JB Steering Wheel.jpg
    JB Steering Wheel.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 734
AU_NSX said:

Please guys... Don't go putting civic/accord/jazz/integra steering wheels on an NSX!!! That is the first thing anyone looking at your car looks at!

Imagine looking through the window of an Enzo and seeing a Fiat steering wheel... :OMG:
Lets face it, i have a -92 NSX and the steering wheel looks like it crawled straight out of the 80's.
And I'd much rather have a Honda/Acura steering wheel than some aftermarket product that i can find in any rice rocket.

And second, replacing the wheel with one whitout an airbag is about the most stupid thing you can do! The airbag could save your life someday.

You guys saying not to do this, are looking at it from your own perspective... maybe YOU know what is a Civic R wheel and what is an NSX wheel, etc... but 99% of people that look in the car don't. I mean really... do you think some random chick that says "what kind of car is that anyway?" will know that you substituted an Accord wheel in an NSX?!

I think this is a great option if it can work because its a modern factory wheel with airbag (which I am hesitant to remove).

My concern however is with the airbag itself, now you are messing with something very serious... what if there are differences in the voltages required for deployment for example? or the velocity of deployment considering the other car may have had other airbags that compensate and yours doesn't? I mean this is some serious stuff....

The thing I like least about my NSX is the steering wheel, it is way to big and not near thick enough. I agree with those that want to swap out. I hope someone figures it out, I would swap in an instant..........Steve

Just some random noise from me:

- any possibility of an insurance problem in the (unfortunate) case of an accident? The exploded airbag would be of different shape. Any chance this can be used against you if you/somebody get hurt by it?

- any doubt, that will (hopefully) last forever that the airbag is not running? I know I would but I am always paranoic (I also thought that my 14 years old NSX airbag may not work beacuse of age... :( ) about this stuff

RacingHeart said:
Lets face it, i have a -92 NSX and the steering wheel looks like it crawled straight out of the 80's.
And I'd much rather have a Honda/Acura steering wheel than some aftermarket product that i can find in any rice rocket.

And second, replacing the wheel with one whitout an airbag is about the most stupid thing you can do! The airbag could save your life someday.

Well that's where you and I differ.

I love the look of the OEM steering wheel! It was designed for and is unique to the NSX.

I do not think a steering wheel from a lesser model would suit the luxurious plush leather and up-market feel the NSX interior exudes.

There is a term used in the industry which relates to modifying the car with parts other than those that were factory options... It's called bastardising. Now lots of people do it and some people are very happy with the way they have "personalised" their car... But I personally wouldn't do it because I think it looks tacky.

I'm too lazy to search but I believe someone here has put a s2000 steering wheel on an nsx.

TURBO2GO said:
You guys saying not to do this, are looking at it from your own perspective...
Absolutely! Is there another one??? :biggrin:

TURBO2GO said:
maybe YOU know what is a Civic R wheel and what is an NSX wheel, etc... but 99% of people that look in the car don't. I mean really... do you think some random chick that says "what kind of car is that anyway?" will know that you substituted an Accord wheel in an NSX?!
Actually, most of the admirers ARE civic/accord/integra owners or their mate owns one or it could be the random chick who turned up in her boyfriends one... These are people who aspire to own an NSX!... One day! They would have a great laugh at your NSX with their common steering wheel on it! :eek:

Right... Now I've laid down the law and stopped all of you from changing the OEM steering wheel... I'm putting my foot down about swapping the OEM stereo out now.... There'll be no bastardising of NSX interiors on my watch thank-you very much!

:biggrin:

LOL Au.... All this from a guy who looks in his rearview mirror to back up and sees nothing but two blue tubes and the fins of his intercoolers.... :biggrin:

That is OK mind you, but be cursed if you swap out your factory radio!

AU_NSX said:

Imagine looking through the window of an Enzo and seeing a Fiat steering wheel... :eek:

I don't see what all the worry is about. The new steering wheels on the Acura's are substantially better than the one on the ride now. You comment about it being one of the first things you see is smack dab on. Why would you wish anyone to see something like the stock steering wheel? It's like looking at stock '91 rims. >barf< Thank goodness items like these can be changed out to something more appealing and stylish!!

e9_1.JPG

Even though the EK Civic and DC Integra share a lot of components, their steerings do not interchange.

If you want to cherish your car, leave it as is, buy an aftermarket wheel or save up money and get the NSX-R wheel... but please don't disgrace it by putting a Civic/Integra wheel on [if it even fits which I doubt]

skafia said:
If you want to cherish your car, leave it as is, buy an aftermarket wheel or save up money and get the NSX-R wheel... but please don't disgrace it by putting a Civic/Integra wheel on [if it even fits which I doubt]

I'd put a wheel from another Honda vehicle on my car long before I put on a wheel that said "Momo" on it. Momo is an old slang term from my youthful days in NYC. I might as well paint my car pink and wear matching lipstick if you know what I mean. :)

What about taking the factory wheel, stripping the leather, welding new metal in a different shape (you can do a flat top or bottom like many modern race cars), installing much thicker padding, installing some nice thumb notches, then covering it in a nice two tone leather. Can't this be done? I am sure it is not that hard. You will have modern looks, and OEM functionality. No worries about the airbag, horn or cruise.

Could you please sell me your NSX, and I will promise you I won't sprinkled rice all over it.
Please do not ruin a prefectly good looking NSX. My 2

Back