• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda "bib" to protect paint while working in the NSX engine bay

Have you ever thought of how nice it would be to have a "bib" to protect the NSX body and paint while working in the engine bay? This "bib" is what Honda dealers use to protect the S2000 when they are working on the convertible top. It just so happens that it fits absolutely perfectly - as if it was made to protect the area around the engine bay on the NSX. It has the correct curvature and even stops right at the doors.

Go to a Honda dealership and have them order this tool number: T/N 07ZAZ-S2AA000. This "bib" will go all around the engine bay to the door handle on each side and covers the trunk lid to the end of the wing. Your Honda dealership may mark it up higher but the actual Honda MSRP is $121.93. I work at a Honda dealership and confirmed this information today in Honda's system. See the picture below to see how it works.

6805138616_d1d2b0f3da_b.jpg

Of course Acura makes one for the NSX. Note my header said "Honda" not Acura. My point is if you work at a Honda dealership like I do, or if you can get a better discount on Honda parts vs. Acura parts (like some common Honda to Acura parts already on the NSX), the S2000 "bib" can cost a lot less and it fits perfectly.

Since i don't work on mine in public, who cares what name is on it. For something that will be abused anyway why not spend around $80 less? Thanks Mark.

Mike

Also last I checked there was only a few NSX covers left, period:). I bought a spare, since I doubt they will make more;). Good to know there is an alternative, but I am thinking this will not be in production much longer either....

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
Or you could get the one made for the nsx........:confused:

You will be hard pressed to find one still available and its double the price.

I just ordered mine moments ago. As said above, if you have the right connections, less than $90 for it. It's a no-brainer for the DIYers, and it's why I posted it in the DIY forum.

There is now 9 left in Honda's west coast warehouse in Torrence, California.

Hate to put water on your fire guys but I have had my new one for a couple of years and used it for the first time last week to replace my coolant tank.
When I removed it at the end of the day, I had a few significant swirls (light scratches) on my black trunck lid. I did not put anything heavy on it (a couple of wrenches); I certainly did not lean much on it. The swirls on the fender's edge and on the flat part of the hood were easily removable but I was a little disappointed in the choice of the liner's material.

I goes without saying that anytime you put anything on your car, even a brand new clean car cover, you risk scratching your paint. Cars are not little models, any little piece of dust can land somewhere and you get a scratch. The purpose of these covers is to protect the surface of the car while you are leaning over it, or if you drop a tool or if you want a place to put things (which we did) When you are having to lean that far over the car I would rather use a "bib" vs risk denting or badly scratching the paint.

Of course, if you wanted to avoid scratches at all costs you could work on your NSX like this:

MISSION-IMPOSSIBLE_320.jpg

Would 2 metal wires and a harness/strap be much cheaper than $80?:biggrin:

I goes without saying that anytime you put anything on your car, even a brand new clean car cover, you risk scratching your paint. Cars are not little models, any little piece of dust can land somewhere and you get a scratch. The purpose of these covers is to protect the surface of the car while you are leaning over it, or if you drop a tool or if you want a place to put things (which we did) When you are having to lean that far over the car I would rather use a "bib" vs risk denting or badly scratching the paint.

Of course, if you wanted to avoid scratches at all costs you could work on your NSX like this:

MISSION-IMPOSSIBLE_320.jpg

Hate to put water on your fire guys but I have had my new one for a couple of years and used it for the first time last week to replace my coolant tank.
When I removed it at the end of the day, I had a few significant swirls (light scratches) on my black trunck lid. I did not put anything heavy on it (a couple of wrenches); I certainly did not lean much on it. The swirls on the fender's edge and on the flat part of the hood were easily removable but I was a little disappointed in the choice of the liner's material.
This was my experience as well. I've found a layer of painters tape works best followed up with a towel. Only takes minutes.

Works well, but, yes, always concerned about swirl marks so only use it for bigger jobs....

ResizeofIMG_2816.jpg

Spyder

Last edited:
The NSX bib is one piece that will wrap around the rear and up the quater panels. Like the picture above. I also found this on google.
attachment.php

This "part" (07MAZ-SL0000A) has been discontinued for production but I have one in stock that is still in the factory packaging. PM me if you would like a price. However, it is more expencive than the single-side fender covers like the S2k one.

I also have the single-side fender covers in both Acura or Honda. The Acura one has white letters on a blue field and the Honda one has white letters on a black field. I have a limited quantity in stock. PM me for prices. I can also snap a few pictures if you'd like.

Attachments

• v34.jpg
    v34.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,419
neat find. . .

These OEM-accessory service mats are very cool & all, but truly overkill for the DIY'er, weekend-warrior, and occasional wrench'er. Yes, sez the guy w/ two of the OEM-accessory NSX service-mats! :D

My point? Oh yea... a reasonable quality, synthetic textured-foam roll'able yoga/exercise-mat for ~$10 & some scissors, you likely have a superior service mat for 1/10 of the cost/shipped of the S2000 service-mat & 1/20 of the cost/shipped of the NSX service-mat. For a buck more more, you can get a graphics-design shop to cut a self-adhesive 'NSX' vinyl overlay in NSX-font for the el'cheapo, el'neato service-mat! :p

Damn... I see some moolah in this venture, kekeke! ;)

This was my experience as well. I've found a layer of painters tape works best followed up with a towel. Only takes minutes.
Swirls, micro-abrasions, and spider-web hazing is definitely possible w/ the OEM-accessory service-mat. I believe it's principal use is to prevent scratches, dings, dents, chips, gouges, so on & so forth.

With that said, I carry a relatively inexpensive decent quality, medium-sized movers-blanket in my trunk & use it underneath the service-mat. In my case, it's kept any friction-related/contact paint blemishes from occurring. I got a Berlina black NSX, if ya even look at it in a wrong way - it'll get blemished! :redface:

The S2000 "bib" I am talking about and I showed in my original post is not a single fender. It covers the entire rear of the car, both sides, just like the NSX cover you see above. It fits the curves around the engine bay perfectly - as if it was made for the NSX, and it stops right at the doors, again as if it was made for the NSX.

And thanks hybrdthry911 for the link to the good deal on it - you found the right connection for the best deal!

If your car is black, you have to put something down under the mat. I use flannel sheets. Makes the mat/mats move around and drive you crazy, but mats scratch, period. Dark paint sucks. And this body is so so soft.

I service my NSX with OEM parts. Why not use the OEM cover as well? Having the right tools makes it more safe and fun to work on the NSX and it looks cool too.

I service my NSX with OEM parts. Why not use the OEM cover as well? Having the right tools makes it more safe and fun to work on the NSX and it looks cool too.

Look at the comments above regarding the NSX cover availability. There are still a few S2000 covers that you can order from Honda. The S2000 cover is less expensive than the NSX cover. I service my NSX withy OEM parts as well, but if I can get the Honda version of the exact same part I buy it because I can get a better price on the Honda parts.

The S2000 cover is identical to the NSX cover except for the color and the letters "NSX", so it is the right tool for the job - working in the engine bay. This is absolutely the perfect solution for those that want to protect the area around the engine bay while working on their NSX.

I'm not selling these, I'm sharing the opportunity with the NSX community.

We bought two of the S2000 covers
They work great , just make sure the car is clean, then blue tape the rear 1/4 panels and put new bath towels under it , and no worries ;)

Back