• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda NA asked me to advise on TL-S..

Honda/Acura North America has asked me to give them some imput in regards to their new TL-Type S. If you have anything to say, post it and ill forward them your views.

Tell them to make it a mid engined v10. Tell them it better be at least as good as a F430 and that it better be as reliable as an Accord and that it better not cost more than a new 997TT.

Then tell them to change its name to NSX.

Share with them that SH 4WD would be a welcome option for this model along with 300+hp.

Please do not make it front wheel drive and I second the motion that anything with the Type-S badge should have nothing less than a 6speed manual.

Thanks.

Otto

S-TO-8K said:
Share with them that SH 4WD would be a welcome option for this model along with 300+hp.

Second this. 286HP in a FWD car is just silly. SH-AWD is the winner here.

Since Acura does not have any kind of hybrid, there is a pretty large component of buyers who can see the writing on the wall as far as gas prices and would prefer to see less HP (perhaps kept at last year's HP ratings) and better gas mileage.

Goods
Back end of the car is very nice. A good refresh w/ some nice features.
Bi-Xenon.

Needs:
Memory passanger seats. C'mon it can't be *that* hard to add.
Better seat leather. The RL is far nicer than the TL, but the Lexus GS cars are far nicer than either of the Acura. Sad that Acura's flagship car is bested by Lexus' midline car.

That said, I just bought an 06 MDX instead of an RL or TL (they were all in the running). Just could not pass up the good deal, and the 07's (for the price) just did not make financial sense.

Sorry I went a bit off topic on the TL, but since have been carshopping extensively for the past month, I feel like I have a lot to say I guess.

Significantyly more power..to differentiate it from the ordinary TL..like the BMW M line or Merc AMG line.

My 2 cents.

1) AWD
2) 300+ HP
3) 6-speed auto
4) Less interior noise on hiway.
5) Better build quality.

EIFFEL said:
Sounds like 2007 LEXUS GS350 AWD.
Yep, and why the GS was in front of the TL and the RL when we were looking at sedans.

It is unfortunate, but Lexus has Acura squarely beat in the sedan category. In the SUV area, I think Acura is still better (save for the big Lex SUV which Acura does not have an equivelant model).

The auto w/ paddle shifters is great. They will sell more of those than manual trans cars by far.

18 inch wheels should have been made standard instead of 17. I like the design.

They should have also kept the color Anthracite. That is "was" our #2 selling color.

That's really all I have for now. We just received our first shipments of the car on Saturday morning and a few mor this morning. I'll post more likes/dislikes once I drive them.

SH-AWD, 6-Spd option for sure, maybe some more agresive body styling to seperate it from the normal TL's and i'd put money down on one in a heartbeat.

EIFFEL said:
Sounds like 2007 LEXUS GS350 AWD.

It does, but I drove the GS350 and it was really boring. The TL is more fun to drive. The GS430 was a lot more fun than the GS350.

We are leaning more towards the 335i now because the wife is in love with it.

The TL is a great car, but it could be better without a lot more time and money spent.

The Kid said:
Honda/Acura North America has asked me to give them some imput in regards to their new TL-Type S. If you have anything to say, post it and ill forward them your views.

- Built in Japan
- Coupe option available
- 6-Speed Manual option available
- R/AWD w/min 300hp
- If it must be FWD, then longitudinal engine orientation, no more than 3200lbs w/ 270hp engine (to prevent torque steer)
- not based on U.S. Accord platform (either Euro Accord or Legend platform)
- interior materials and build quailty more on par with Legend rather than US Accord)
- $42K or less sticker price
- Build a true sports sedan/coupe, not an attempt to build a better Lexus.
- Must compete effectively with BMW 335i in every performance parameter.

Basically, a worthy successor to the 1991-1995 Legend, and not just a dressed up US-Spec Accord with a big engine and gobs of torque steer. :)

Ben said:
- Built in Japan
- Coupe option available
- 6-Speed Manual option available
- R/AWD w/min 300hp
- If it must be FWD, then longitudinal engine orientation, no more than 3200lbs w/ 270hp engine (to prevent torque steer)
- not based on U.S. Accord platform (either Euro Accord or Legend platform)
- interior materials and build quailty more on par with Legend rather than US Accord)
- $42K or less sticker price
- Build a true sports sedan/coupe, not an attempt to build a better Lexus.
- Must compete effectively with BMW 335i in every performance parameter.

Basically, a worthy successor to the 1991-1995 Legend, and not just a dressed up US-Spec Accord with a big engine and gobs of torque steer. :)

-It already is available with a 6 speed manual.
-The sticker is less than $42k. (just a hair over $38k actually)
-It's not "just a dressed up US-Spec Accord with a big engine". I don't think the 2 cars share any of the same parts. They might be built on the same platform, but so are the Odyssey and the MDX, but obviously they are 2 completely different vehicles.

White92 said:
-It already is available with a 6 speed manual.
-The sticker is less than $42k. (just a hair over $38k actually)
-It's not "just a dressed up US-Spec Accord with a big engine". I don't think the 2 cars share any of the same parts. They might be built on the same platform, but so are the Odyssey and the MDX, but obviously they are 2 completely different vehicles.

This was more of a wishlist, which some items may already be included. If they incorporate everything on the wishlist, it'll probably cost more than $38K, hence the $42K number. Ever since they started building the TLs in Ohio, they have always shared more with the Accords than most people think, such as basic platform, design architechture, tranmission family, engine family, certain interior parts, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the Accord is a great car for what it is, and a class leader, but it's not in the same performance league as the original Legend, BMW, etc.

Test drove a TL-S yesterday, and it was very impressive. My wife has an 04 TL and this car felt almost like a different model. The handling was a big cut above the base model, and the torque steer was a non issue (this may have been improved already from the 04's).

AWD would be nice, but it would add a lot of weight. For the northeast, FWD works about as well in bad weather as AWD. IMO this car is a good compromise: a FWD car that handles well, works in the winter, reasonable weight (the better handling makes it feel lighter/more agile), plenty of power, and fully loaded at a reasonable price.

I would like to try the 6 speed and see if the torque steer is ok, with that having the LSD. This car may be in my garage soon.:biggrin:

The ugly: the wheels.

Last edited:
My thoughts:
1) Any car making north of 250 bhp needs to be RWD or AWD if it's going to be any fun to drive at all. I'm spoiled and live in S. CA so AWD is a waste of weight and complexity for me.
2) Please continue to offer a MT option for the small minority of us who appreciate the joy of actually driving a car.
3) Please focus attention on build quality. While I think the TL is a very good value, I've been shocked at the squeeks, rattles and roar coming from the TL's that I've been in, driven, and had as loaner cars. Lexus has Acura absolutely smoked in this dept. and I'm happy to pay more for a better quality product.
4) Looking different isn't always better. I think Honda/Acura is doing a great job of making nice looking products right now. I worry that some of the chances they're taking (I'm thinking RD-X) might fool them into thinking that offering ugly, polarizing cars like BMW does is the right way to go. It isn't.
5) Really take a long, hard look at your dealer network. Acura was the first premium Japanese brand in the US but they're now hardly the best. There are exceptions to every rule, but all and all I am very confident saying that the shopping, purchase, and post-purchase service experiences at Lexus are better than Acura and that's important to alot of buyers. Don't believe me, ask my wife. She loved her Acuras but I think that you'd have to put a gun to her head to get her out of a Lexus because they take very good care of her and make her feel comfortable, welcome, and respected.

Thanks for sharing our thoughts with the "powers that be" Mike.

I just drove it. I love everything about this car. I was not able to feel the difference in power between the "base" TL and the Type S as much as I thought I would. It's fast enough though and torque steer wasn't really an issue at all. I'd like to drive the 6 speed though.

Back