• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda Prototype SH-AWD and Electric Rear Steering Preview / NSX

November 13, 2012 - Honda engineers have given a glimpse into the technology that could underpin the next-generation NSX supercar. Two new chassis set-ups were demonstrated this weekend at Honda’s Tochigi Research and Development centre, both fitted into new-generation Accord saloons. Autocar was able to sample both prototypes on Honda’s handling circuit.

One of the Accords was fitted the prototype Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive hybrid drivetrain. The other was fitted with a new electronic rear-wheel steering system. Both are said to be designed to ‘significantly enhance handling and driver pleasure’.

Honda engineers say that the ‘Precision All Wheel Steer’ technology is the closest to realisation, with the potential for it to appear in production within two years. Work on the SH-AWD hybrid drivetrain is less well advanced, with 2015 the most likely potential production date.

Sources say it is possible that both of these systems could be fitted to the next-generation NSX, also expected in 2015. The mid-engined supercar will use the all-wheel drive system in conjunction with the electric motors housed in its front wheels.

http://www.hkcarworld.com/news/hond...ems-are-impressive-preview-hondas-forthcoming

If I remember correctly, the Precision All Wheel Steering system is supposed to debut with the introduction of the FWD version of the new RLX.

It's an ingenious system. Although I do wonder how a car with PAWS will respond at the limit. Check the vid at 2:48:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y6deeToD380" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sport Hybrid SH-AWD vs. SH-AWD? WTF Honda... How many "SH" designations do you guys want?

I've said it for years...Honda is horrible at marketing. Will likely be great technology but they seriously need to fire their entire marketing staff and pirate from Toyota.

honda-sport-hybrid-systems-628.jpg

BTW Toyota is playing with a KERS hybrid for the Toyobaru.

very interesting, I can't help but think remove the hybrid and battery packs. add boost or a stroker kit call it a day.

I think, in effect, that's what they're doing w/ the hybrid system. Not only are they using it as a mpg multiplier but also in consideration of the instant torque electric motors provide. I wouldn't discount the performance benefits of a hybrid system just yet.

Now, the aftermarket will come behind Honda and add boost/bore+stroker kit to the gasoline engine. I hope they do.

Why would you guys want to get rid of three motors that produce instant tq:confused:

Also the all wheel steering is only for the non hybrid RL. There won't be a non hybrid NSX from the looks of things at this point.

The First NSX showcased VTEC, the New One will showcase all of Honda's New Tech.

It's a Halo vehicle, when it outperforms its rivals it will be due to Honda's technology, and not simply a numbers race.

And still cost $28.95 for an oil change. :wink:

It's a Halo vehicle, when it outperforms its rivals it will be due to Honda's technology, and not simply a numbers race.
Like hell it will if Honda want's to they can spank the rest BIG TIME.
If they can make a under square 4cyl car rev 9k daily and be perfectly reliable pump 120+ hp/l on a old school multiport system (not even i-vtec)

They are sure capable of making a Ferrari beating engine.
After all they have a impeccable track record for beating competition.

Why would you guys want to get rid of three motors that produce instant tq:confused:
Very good point. Electric 'boost' is the most instant power you can get. The electric motors put their max torque at low rpms. This helps in designing a gas engine with it's torque in the very high revs, so in a very sporty maner. The electric motors help neglecting the lower rpm-range of the gas engine (less compromise). If they really go that route...it would be a very promissing engine.

Interesting. I was sitting in traffic with my wife a few weeks ago and I saw what I was sure was a "new" RL roll by in the left turn lane while we were sitting at a stoplight. It had different wheels on it than the car in the vid, and was a ruby / dark red color. There was no camouflage on the car so you could see all the lines- which is what in initially drew me to look at it further. I thought it must be a new big Lexus or something- then I saw the Acura badge.

So I immediately thought the new RLs are out. I was impressed, so I called my Dad to see if he had seen one- nope, and when he asked his dealer about it they said the cars weren't due out for quite a while.

I thought the whole thing was odd. I've seen cars doing testing around here, but they are always masked with weird body panels and what not- this was a "finished" RL, and it was very striking. I said to Shannon I thought it was the best looking Honda product i had seen since they discontinued our TL.

Last edited:
A LOT better looking than the show concept. They did something to the taillights to drastically improve the look of the car. The headlights look more clean in the video, too. Can't say I'm a fan of the tall, 'heavy' car silhouette - the current RL, with the low hood and trunk lines is much more attractive IMO. Maybe it looks the part now, but I'm no fan.

Was visiting some friends in Ohio who are close to this project and they were asking my thoughts on the new car. anyhow, I was told that if they are to hit their goals that it will be very difficult in the time given. The goals are VERY lofty inside of Honda, and they want there to be no question as to the superiority of Acura as a brand. But the deadline is causing some serious concern.

Juice,

Thank you for your commentary. I realize that you are restricted in what you can disclose; however, your last comment "deadline has caused some serious concern" has been stated in some manner by others on other forums. Is there any chance you can expand on this? I'm curious what is causing concern? Do they not believe they can do enough reliability testing? Or do they simply not have the technology available?

Also, could you comment on the internal sentiment towards the vehicle? Are they as excited about as we are? Or are they apathetic and only wanting to get the job done so they can move onto another project?

Interesting. I was sitting in traffic with my wife a few weeks ago and I saw what I was sure was a "new" RL roll by in the left turn lane while we were sitting at a stoplight. It had different wheels on it than the car in the vid, and was a ruby / dark red color. There was no camouflage on the car so you could see all the lines- which is what in initially drew me to look at it further. I thought it must be a new big Lexus or something- then I saw the Acura badge.

So I immediately thought the new RLs are out. I was impressed, so I called my Dad to see if he had seen one- nope, and when he asked his dealer about it they said the cars weren't due out for quite a while.

I thought the whole thing was odd. I've seen cars doing testing around here, but they are always masked with weird body panels and what not- this was a "finished" RL, and it was very striking. I said to Shannon I thought it was the best looking Honda product i had seen since they discontinued our TL.

What are you, the last person on the planet whose cell phone has no camera? This was a worthless story without a pic :D

The other issue that must be worrying the boffins working inside Honda is that Porsche, Ferrari et al are about to release their take on the supercar hybrid. Will the NSX stack up against them??

Well, it be fair, it's a tad difficult to measure against cars that do not exist yet or hypothetical standards.

Only time will tell.

What are you, the last person on the planet whose cell phone has no camera? This was a worthless story without a pic :D

If i had any idea that what I was looking at was an unreleased car I'd have snapped a pic- but i didn't. It had zero indicators that it might be some sort of prototype- usually those have packing tape on the bumpers and cladding to cover up body lines- this one looked like it had rolled off a dealers lot.

Sorry for the let-down. I've had my eyes peeled for it ever since in case I get a second look at it.

P

Was visiting some friends in Ohio who are close to this project and they were asking my thoughts on the new car. anyhow, I was told that if they are to hit their goals that it will be very difficult in the time given. The goals are VERY lofty inside of Honda, and they want there to be no question as to the superiority of Acura as a brand. But the deadline is causing some serious concern.

They're talking turbos on Vtec.net. Which seems very contrary to what Ito seems to be talking. They're inside sources are also quoting very high hp which is also contrary to what Ito was talking about the car not being high powered like the 458.

It just seems strange that all the insider talk has the next NSX now being a very high powered car along with a price tag close to what the cancelled V10 was supposed to go for. Don't get me wrong but it seems more "fan boi" dream NSX than what Ito and Acura people originally were originally hinting, confirming. What changed:confused:

Knowing who I am and my connection with this group, details were left out completely. They simply asked me how the NSX community in general was responding to the new NSX as it has been revealed thus far. It was an innocent inquiry, not for informational/feedback purposes.

I really don't have any further details. These individuals are friends of mine and all parties are smart enough to understand that any leaked information means the destruction of personal careers. I didn't even have the audacity to bring the subject up, but they asked a simple question and made an innocent comment.

Simply put, the goals are high and the time line short.

They're talking turbos on Vtec.net. Which seems very contrary to what Ito seems to be talking. They're inside sources are also quoting very high hp which is also contrary to what Ito was talking about the car not being high powered like the 458.

It just seems strange that all the insider talk has the next NSX now being a very high powered car along with a price tag close to what the cancelled V10 was supposed to go for. Don't get me wrong but it seems more "fan boi" dream NSX than what Ito and Acura people originally were originally hinting, confirming. What changed:confused:

Don't sell your NSX yet. It truly sounds to me like the price is creeping up higher and higher, and this becoming a true halo car. I don't think we are in Kansas anymore Dorothy.

- - - Updated - - -

A real powerful real expensive NSX is good news for the NSX name and resale value of current NSX's.

My source is pretty tight lipped as well that's why now that I'm hearing this other info it's like a "huh". I believe the car will be great but seems like the ESHAWD seems to be giving them some headaches. The RLX which will be the first application of the set up has yet to be seen and it will be out first part of next year. All we see and hear about is the RL fwd.

Don't sell your NSX yet. It truly sounds to me like the price is creeping up higher and higher, and this becoming a true halo car. I don't think we are in Kansas anymore Dorothy.

- - - Updated - - -

A real powerful real expensive NSX is good news for the NSX name and resale value of current NSX's.

See Dave that's the thing everything we're hearing from insiders is the opposite of what's been confirmed. High HP isn't green. A super pricey Lexus didn't work well sells wise and wasn't price one of the reasons the reasons the V10 was killed?? The original 2.0 concept has just been over shadowed by all the hp talk. Honda never mentioned any other than what the set up would make for the RLX. I think people maybe setting themselves up for a let down.

I don't know if this has been posted anywhere else (this is the first time I've signed on since mid last week) but here's an interesting article by a Canadian guy who does a road test section within a Canadian TV show called Motoring 2012 and he also writes articles for newspapers (this one appeared in my local paper). I had just recently read the following comment in the December Car and Driver test of the Fusion SE Hybrid: "The one remaining driveability failing is the brake pedal, which, as in many a hybrid, is springy and disconcertingly nonlinear. ...No hybrid maker has fully untied that Gordian knot of brake feel". And in the back of my mind I'm thinking that good brake feel is essential to the feel of a high perf sports car and if they don't get that right, it's going to be a disaster. Then in the above article, I read that Honda has come up with a revolutionary use of the dual clutch setup which restores braking feel. And not only does it restore brake feel, it also makes for faster acceleration and better gas mileage. The article does go on to make some comments about 3.5L V6 but doesn't really deal with overall power other than to suggest it's 'scintillating'.

Back