• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda Prototype SH-AWD and Electric Rear Steering Preview / NSX

In addition to instant torque (electric motors provide full torque across the entire RPM range) electric motors allow you to independently, and very quickly, control the speed of individual wheels. I've been waiting for the day where cars will have individual motors driving each wheel. In that way, steering almost becomes obsolete in that to change direction you can significantly speed up the outer wheels while simultaneously slowing down (or even reversing) the inner wheels. Think about how a tank turns. In that way, you can almost negate the grip limitation of tires (almost, you still have momentum and other forces to deal with), but there will be a day where the limitation would be the human limitations (or comfort) rather than the actual physical limits of the car's capabilities. This appears to be the next progressive step towards that future technology.

Guys this is all still speculation. There are two big challenges for the new NSX that we know are happening: sub-3000 weight and SH-AWD integration. The turbos may either be a backup option if SH-AWD can't be realized in time, or an option for a high performance RWD premium trim model like NSX-R. Acura might also be considering a performance trim model like the 911. You can order a base model NSX with NA 360 hp V6, a "green" SH-AWD version with 460 hp or a wild NSX-R with a twin turbo RWD 500+ hp. It's a great way to make extra profit, since you can really jack up the price for the premium trims, but still offer the base model for a "reasonable" price. That model works well for Porsche and Acura may be considering doing the same thing. We just won't know for sure until more details are relased.

I would love it if they used the Porsche (or even BMW M series) business model for the NSX specifically. This is something that they had so much momentum with in the "R" series of cars worldwide. It's such obvious marketing logic that I can only surmise that internal constraints limited this strategy in previous years. However, since this car is being made in the US, maybe this type of thinking will become pervasive.

Back