• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hood Pins Needed? Carbon Fiber Hood

jwc

Registered Member
Has anyone had their Carbon Fiber hood fly open on them? When I drive over 100mph it looks like the hood is lifting right next to the crown of the fenders. There is a discernible gap between the fender and the hood which gets higher with speed. That gap isn't there when the car is stationary. I'm tempted to install hood pins for safety, but don't really like the idea of drilling holes in my hood. I know there is a safety latch on the hood latch but .......... My previous NSX with a stock aluminum hood never did that even @ 161 mph. :frown:

VIS hood? If that's the case, do it!!!

Has anyone had their Carbon Fiber hood fly open on them? When I drive over 100mph it looks like the hood is lifting right next to the crown of the fenders. There is a discernible gap between the fender and the hood which gets higher with speed. That gap isn't there when the car is stationary. I'm tempted to install hood pins for safety, but don't really like the idea of drilling holes in my hood. I know there is a safety latch on the hood latch but .......... My previous NSX with a stock aluminum hood never did that even @ 161 mph. :frown:

We have noticed that also on the higher end aftermarket Type R hoods as well - domestic or from abroad!! The hood pins will not resolve that "lift" issue but will give you the security that at least the hood will not pop out of its latch, or the two pieces that make it will not seperate ...... your previous stock aluminum was designed with a lot of engineering R&D and wind tunnel.

Perhaps those using the stock aluminum hood with a cutout for a Type R retrofit can comment if they have the same issue or not.

VIS hood? If that's the case, do it!!!

Every composite hood uses the same retainment mechanism, why would whats good for one hood not be good for the other? I don't think physics checks brand name before it picks your hood up and smashes it into your windshield at 150mph.

OK - Hood Pins it is! Anyone have a source or brand they like/recommend? How about some photos of NSX's with said Pins installed? Thanks! :biggrin:

OK - Hood Pins it is! Anyone have a source or brand they like/recommend? How about some photos of NSX's with said Pins installed? Thanks! :biggrin:

I prefer the hoodpins.com self-latching billet pins, here is a set of black ones on my '94 (marga hills hood):

marga2mini.jpg

and a set of polished ones on my gtone hood after the '02 conversion:

misc 002opt.jpg

there had been documented cases of hoods popping open in the past on NSX...
one particularly from a track event.

when it does, it usually causes a lot of damage such as broken windshield and a bent roof.

this happened a lot back then before VIS and SEIBON got into the carbon hood business. ive seen it happened to all kinds of cars.

I dont use hood pins but i offer them for sale.
I carry NRG locking hood pins. sparco. and top secret style hood pins.

Every composite hood uses the same retainment mechanism, why would whats good for one hood not be good for the other? I don't think physics checks brand name before it picks your hood up and smashes it into your windshield at 150mph.
Bacause VIS hood is not designed with OEM aero standard. Even though I don't believe the VIS hood will pop during high speed driving, it probably haven't been top speed tested. DF/Procar hoods are OEM replica, it is most likely to perform same to OEM standard. As you know, I have the DF hood, and I have done over 160mph on numerous occasions, it held up perfectly.

100% Yes

I have had the metal ring actually fail on a c/f hood!!!! None of the latching mech. on any aftermarket hood (glass, frp, c/f etc) is as strong as oem PERIOD!

I had let go @ 70mph once without pins. :eek:

I have been a big believer in pins ever since a friend had his hood fly up in his modified 911 at 45mph, which nearly resulted in the car being totaled. The hood had been latched, but the composite material around the latch had been slowly stress cracking, and finally let go.

People have various reasons for installing an aftermarket hood, but choosing aesthetics over safety isn't something I am comfortable doing. If you consider an aftermarket copy of an OEM composite hood just as strong as the OEM, simply because they're the same shape, you should perhaps do more research on the factors that go into production of composite panels. There are many ways in which a company with the resources of Honda can produce a part far superior to the best efforts of an aftermarket company.

Bacause VIS hood is not designed with OEM aero standard. Even though I don't believe the VIS hood will pop during high speed driving, it probably haven't been top speed tested. DF/Procar hoods are OEM replica, it is most likely to perform same to OEM standard. As you know, I have the DF hood, and I have done over 160mph on numerous occasions, it held up perfectly.

DF and procar def make some really nice replicas, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are as safe as OEM. (they don't even use the same manufacturing process.)

After reading this, if i do end up getting an aftermarket hood, i'll def get pins. having the hood fly open while driving would suck.

DF and procar def make some really nice replicas, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are as safe as OEM. (they don't even use the same manufacturing process.)

After reading this, if i do end up getting an aftermarket hood, i'll def get pins. having the hood fly open while driving would suck.

You are absolutely correct when it comes to manufacturing process, however, as I have indicated in my post, I emphasizing on the aero aspect of the hood, which has been tested; therefore, both will be similar, if not, same as OEM since they both are OEM replica.

I would like to think the reason most of the after market CFRP or FRP hood pop up due to their poor aero design, where the wind can force air into/under the hood and cause it to pop.

I have one of those OEM hoods that had the duct cut out and I have experienced no lifting while cruising or going 140 down the front straight at TWS. No hood pins needed here.

Having the hood damage your windshield and roof are the least of your problems. Consider your visibility with a hood in your face! :eek: (ask me how I know)

I'm reviving this thread because on the trip back from Watkins Glen I could notice a slight shake in my hood at speed on the highway. I am talking 80 MPH. I could see an ever so slight up and down "flutter" on the very back of the hood near my windsheild, with my reference point being the wiper blade. I am not sure which was shaking, hard to tell but I think it was the hood.

I have the Downforce R replica hood, and its shape and fit other than the duct are identical to my factory hood. The only issue I am wondering about is around the headlamps the factory hood had on its bottom a rubber gasket. This looked difficult to remove so I did not used them on the type R. I am wondering if some amount of air is creeping in between the headlamps and hood gap and lifting the hood?

You guys with aftermarket hoods, did you re-use those gaskets?

I am thinking of getting some hood pins "just in case".

Ummm...holy cow what a coincidence this thread popped up - no pun intended.

Driving home last night at 110 mph my Downforce Type R hood started to vibrate alot!!! Checked all of the fasteners etc. when I got home and all are tight. As a side note my hood is starting to lose its form (lifting) on both sides of the fender edges...I'll call Downforce or SOS this evening and send some pictures.

I don't think these Carbon Fiber hoods like Dubai temps :(

I don't like hood pin period. They make the car look................! Just my preference. I almost purchased one, but did not feel comfortable about the possibility of the hood opening unexpectedly.

Back