• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hopefully prospective owner in future

Hi all, I hope to be a future owner one day. That day is kinda far for me though seeing as I'm only 18 ahha. Anyways ever since I seen my friends NSX 2 yrs ago, I fell in love.

To be truthful, I disliked Hondas when I first started messing with cars when I was 12. I got introduced into cars by my friends GTI "337 limited edition anniversary model". I always helped him work on it and what not bc my small hands and stuff can fit into some very tight spaces. IDK why I never liked Hondas, maybe cause majority of the cars are FF (disregard AP1 n 2/NA1 n 2)? I don't like FF cars at all (not even my buddies GTI n his is very nice. He has sponsorship n all that). Well I started really working on my first car when I was 14 with my cousin. It was a 1991 240sx with a ka-t swap. I researched the crap outta it to find out what I wanted and me and him built it. It was fun and all of that but the ka eventually blew along with the t25 turbo I used.. Then when I turned 17, I had to buy a reliable car for college seeing as I was going to be living 2 hrs away from home. My mom chose the 07 Honda Civic SI (she chose Civic bc it was a reliable car and I wanted a sportyish car). I bough the car with my own money n continue to pay for it with my own money. I put 7,000 down and pay around 370 a month. I've been working for my parents restaurant since I was 8 (typical asian family where everyone works in the rest). I saved for a bit to pay for it, but my eye was always on the NSX. I realize the insurance MIGHT be too high for my age atm (idk hwo comparable it is to the 4 grand a year I paid on my SI when I first bought it). But my insurance is down to 2 grand a year after a whole lot of safe driving/grades/switching companies.

Anyways I just checked on geico how much it would be for me to get a NSX now (insurance wise) and it is not tooo much higher to my amazement. The only problem is how reliable is it as a DD. Especially if I have to drive back home (2 hrs) every so often... I can possibly get a NSX now, but I have to figure out how reliable it is compared to a regular daily driven car, not to other exotics..

I really don't like the front end looks of the NA2, but then I like the C32 engine n 6 speed so I was thinking 98 NA1 would be my dream car.. Funnily enough I have never driven/ridden in a NSX, but my friend that owns a GTR used to have one and he described it to me. He said it was unbelieveable, it drives better then the GTR but not as much power. You can't really understand till you actually drive one, so hopefully someone will let me eventually drive one..

I have a lot of experience driving cars (08 Vette, 97 Supra, 96 300zxtt, 07 s600 v12 just to name a few.. I also do a little bit of autoxing..)

Anyways on a second note, I was planning on going to med school (cardiologist maybe) in college. Anyone in this field n got any tips/advice for me?

Last edited:
welcome.

keep saving and work hard. its the right formula to nsx ownership.

there are many younger nsx owners in the community. The cost of the car coming down and with this economy you'll see nsx prices become very reasonable for any young & responsible buyer.

work hard, save $. you'll have your nsx in no time. :smile:

Just some advice. Your questions have come up about 57,000 times before so use the search & just read posts in the new & prospective owners forum. Just keep going back through page after page of posts & search within the forum using advanced search. Hint- search for "daily driver", etc. Searching for other peoples' payments & insurance costs is a waste of time. You don't have their credit, driving record, or zip code. And the hits you get will be dated. Also read through the wiki (see that red bar at the top right of the window? The left end of the red bar says "wiki").

You already have a lot of car debt & high insurance. You are going to college (more debt) & maybe med school (way more debt & 8 more yrs of your life before you start earning). The car can wait. You DO NOT want a nice car on a college campus where it WILL get vandalized or broken in to. How do you expect to lug all your crap home on breaks in a 2 seat car with a small trunk?

Can the NSX be a daily driver? Sure, but would you want to leave it parked outside all the time or deal with snow? Can you afford $1500 for a timing belt & water pump while in school & while making payments? Is the financial aid office going to scratch you off the list when you fill out the form indicating you own an NSX & what the payment is? Probably.

By the time you can comfortably afford an NSX, something newer & shinier will catch your eye. As far as NA2, that is the engine & trans & brake upgrades that came in '97. You seem to be disliking the '02-'05 face lift of the nose which is not the same thing. All '02-'05 manuals are NA2 with the new nose (autos are still NA1 motor), but not all NA2s are face lifted (the '97-'01s).

IMO, you need to research more & really think about your station in life & your future plans. If you have $$ coming out of your butt, great. Go for it. If you don't, get the degree(s) first & worry about the car later. There will always be a chance for a hot car; there won't always be a chance for the degree. There is a lot to be said for savoring delayed gratification & not being in debt up to your eyeballs in your twenties.

Good luck & seriously use the content of the forum to read up.

Back