• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hoping to buy my first NSX - Need opinions - JH4NA1155PT000246 and JH4NA1156MT001594

I've been lurking prime for about a week now in preparation to purchase my first NSX. Been lusting after this car since I was a kid and finally I am in a position to own one. :biggrin:

2 examples in my general area have caught my eye..

91 Sebring Silver - $35,000 52,750 miles - JH4NA1156MT001594
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...][]]&listingId=347245540&listingIndex=8&Log=0

93 Formula Red - $27,999 95,634 miles - JH4NA1155PT000246
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...[]]&listingId=346347575&listingIndex=10&Log=0

So far I've only checked out and test drove the red one since its only a few miles from home. Service history from the Carfax seemed pretty complete. In 2002 at about 75k miles, it appears that the previous owner began having the car serviced annually at the local Acura dealer, and the timing belt, water pump, drive belts and assorted seals were replaced in 09 at 94k miles. If I plan to look further into this car, I am going to go over to the servicing dealer and requesting more detailed service records and any comments they might have on the car. The body looks to get in good condition aside from some odd paint imperfections on the passenger side roof (I'll try to get some pics of this if I go look at the car again). The interior is decent other than a small rip and some bolster wear on the driver side and minimal scratches on the center console near the shallow pocket behind the shifter. I did notice that the fuel door doesn't pop open when you press the button, so you are forced to press and hold the button while putting pressure on the fuel door to open it. Also there was a black box with a cable/tube running to it loose behind the front bumper. It appears that it was once double sided taped to something. Looked somewhat like a laser shifter unit or something of the like. The test drive seemed pretty solid, though that was my first time in a NSX. No worrying noises or behavior. Clutch felt good and steering was tight.

The silver car is a couple hours away so I haven't seen it or even contacted the owner yet. I do prefer the color and later year wheels on this car, and not to mention the significantly lower miles is a huge plus. VIN doesn't appear to be in snap ring range. From the photos, everything looks pretty nice and clean. If anyone local to the Austin, TX area wants to do me a big favor and check out the car, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Is anyone familiar with these cars? Any opinions/advice for my purchase?

I would like to daily drive the car (~25 miles/day) if I can, but I may just purchase a Fit or CRZ down the road to help preserve the NSX.

Thanks for all the help guys! Hopefully I can have one of these wonderful machines in my garage soon. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Well I have yet to make any contact with the private seller of the silver '91 in Georgetown, but I have been discussing more with the Audi dealer the red '93 is at.

9071519485_438ac04d16_b.jpg

I'm getting close to an acceptable price with them, but just wanted to hear some thoughts from you guys. Are 100k miles too high? The maintenance records are pretty complete since about 75k miles in 2002. TB/WP and belts/seals replaced at 94k miles in 2009 by the local Acura dealer. Would it be prudent to do this again soon since its been 4 years since it was completed? The cars been in for maintenance 10 times over the last 5 years but has only covered about 2000 miles over that time. Positive signs of attentive maintenance?

That black box behind the front bumper appears to possibly be an aftermarket security system as some of its wires lead to an OEM type horn mounted under the hood. I would intend to uninstall this if I purchased the car.

I've also attached a few pictures of the paint imperfections. They aren't that apparent in all of the photos but they run the length of the passenger side a pillar and roof line.

9073743776_6b70313fb4_b.jpg

9071518081_18500819c4_b.jpg

9071518655_f5b21bb879_b.jpg

The biggest attraction for me to this example is the fact that the price would allow me to purchase a daily driver right away (Fit/CRZ/Tacoma), and due to the higher mileage on the car, I wouldn't be as discouraged to modify it.

Should I go for this car or hold out for a lower mile car? :confused:

The silver 91 looks clean, but the price is kind of high. I just purchased a 91 with 32k miles for the same price.

Should I go for this car or hold out for a lower mile car? :confused:

I'm reluctant to give advice, but here goes... When you find the right car, it will speak to you; and if it does, buy it.

The silver 91 looks clean, but the price is kind of high. I just purchased a 91 with 32k miles for the same price.

Yeah, I would like to have paid less, but it's a really​ nice car, and I decided this time, I'd follow my own advice.

the bad paint & dent on the passenger side of the red car would make me very suspicious.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll probably go more aggressively on the pricing for the red 93, else I'll probably keep shopping.

I do agree that the silver 91 looks clean, but I've left a few messages and emails for the seller and have yet to hear any response.

I'll keep you guys updated. I'll probably have more VIN's incoming.

Thanks again! :)

- - - Updated - - -

the bad paint & dent on the passenger side of the red car would make me very suspicious.

My apologies, I may have missed it, but where is the dent?

EDIT #2: are you referring to the first picture posted of the bad paint? I'm not sure if I'm seeing things or if it really is a dent. Regardless I'll check it again in person. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Last edited:
apparently the silver one has been sold..the owner called me back today...someone is getting a very clean sebring silver....

The red one is a good price if every thing checks out and it is not in spap ring range..the maintenance records sound good...you can get the roof repainted for less the $400....

If all checks out don't worry too much about the high milage...it only hurts if you plan on selling in a few years...but if you can get it cheap it dosent really matter...

A 93 wouldn't be in snap ring range.
93's are nice in that they are the 1st year with dual air bags. Adds more safety for a passenger but also some weight. Plus added the cup holder, which doesn't appear to be all that functional.

The paint on the pillar is strange. I've never seen one like that before. But I would think a repaint of the roof wouldn't be too bad financially. The black roof grew on me. Originally I thought I would like the roof to match the color of the rest of the car. If a person likes that look, like the later models then repainting the roof to match the car would be an option.

It is something you can use to aggressively negotiate with the dealer to get the price down and if they have a body shop have them repaint (but you would want to make sure they did a good job and not some quick full of orange peel quickie).

Good luck with your hunt...

I talked to the Plano manager and he said nothing under 27k ( when I was still looking for an NSX). I got something better for cheaper , let it slide

upon closer inspection of that photo I don't think it's a dent - just the reflection playing tricks on my eyes.

A 93 wouldn't be in snap ring range.
93's are nice in that they are the 1st year with dual air bags. Adds more safety for a passenger but also some weight. Plus added the cup holder, which doesn't appear to be all that functional.

The paint on the pillar is strange. I've never seen one like that before. But I would think a repaint of the roof wouldn't be too bad financially. The black roof grew on me. Originally I thought I would like the roof to match the color of the rest of the car. If a person likes that look, like the later models then repainting the roof to match the car would be an option.

It is something you can use to aggressively negotiate with the dealer to get the price down and if they have a body shop have them repaint (but you would want to make sure they did a good job and not some quick full of orange peel quickie).

Good luck with your hunt...

doh!! my bad, thought it was a 92:redface:

Back