• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do you dry the NSX after washing it?

Those of you using air compressors - I hope you have the line filtered. I know for a fact my large Craftsman compressor doesn't blow out the cleanest air and I filter it for such occasions.

Waffle microfiber and mini-leaf blower.

Similar to this: http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?product=mini-electric-blower&PIN=23307

I bought mine at Kragen for $10 when they cleared them out years ago.

** +1 on the "absorber" , love it for fast drying a car spotless, BUT ONLY dry the car in the shade, else spotting will occur. I usually go to the "do it yourself" carwash and dry the car in the shaded stall.
If at home, I wash and rinse outside and immediately move it into the garage for spotfree drying with the absorber.

Guys with a Black NSX have your tried the " Black Box " the wax actually has black dye in it. Yea I used Miguiors wax for ever, then I tried the " Black Box " by turtle wax and its the bomb, and no more yellow leftovers in the cracks you cant get to with out a toothbrush. try it I swear its worth the money,

I also tried the Black Magic with a picture of a Black NSX on the front...
DONT GET IT... it sucks so bad, I was actually gonna write to honda and tell them to not let them use that pic on the bottle any more cuz it was that bad. took me days to get it off.

I've found the fastest and best method by far is the California Water Blade... surgical silicone that takes 95+% of the water off quick, easy, and without risk of scratching the finished. The final few drops of water are simply removed with a micro-fiber towel.

I've used this method and products for years on all of my cars, including three different Coucours Best of Show cars that I still have and show regularly.
My chamois went into the trash can back in the 90's!!

I've found the fastest and best method by far is the California Water Blade... surgical silicone that takes 95+% of the water off quick, easy, and without risk of scratching the finished. The final few drops of water are simply removed with a micro-fiber towel.

I've used this method and products for years on all of my cars, including three different Coucours Best of Show cars that I still have and show regularly.
My chamois went into the trash can back in the 90's!!

That is an awesome idea. I'm gonna have to find one of those. I'm tired of using towels and getting water spots.

I am considering buying this. I know there are favorable reviews, but any of you guys have ever used it? Is it worth to buy it?

I have used one from a different maker at my friend's garage to try it out.

I love it.

It's really weird since I'm not used to spraying a black car with water, not wiping it off and going back into the house to eat, drink beer and watch TV.

And when the water dries there are no spots at all.

180790.jpg

Batman, is it true that you don't need to dry your car if you rinse it with deionized water, or is that just commercial hype?

I use an air compressor with an attachment like this to blow off all the water:
15915_lg.jpg

What little water that the air does not get, I wipe up with a waffle-weave microfiber towel.

The air is really useful for getting water out of the small cracks and crevices. If I'm not careful, when I'm driving, water will leak out around the side mirrors, fuel door, and the thin gap between the tail lights and the rear bumper.

180790.jpg

Batman, is it true that you don't need to dry your car if you rinse it with deionized water, or is that just commercial hype?

it's true.

when people still get water spots with these solutions is when the product failed and/or needs routine servicing.

Or they didn't use enough water to get in the seams, crevices, etc...

Well, this product works great, but their customer service is piss-poor. Three weeks before the warranty expired one of the PVC fittings broke. I sent them an email asking for a replacement. Three days later, no reply, so I send another email. I ask them if they would like to send me a replacement part or if I should just return the unit to Costco. Still no reply. Guess it's going back to Costco, and I'll just order another one.

I have a black NSX and live in an area with very hard water. Trying to dry the car before the water marks started showing up was a race against time. I often lost so I had to do a lot of polishing to do.

Now...

After I wash and rinse the car normally I have a bucket of R/O water handy (or rainwater, or distilled water) along with a pitcher. I simply pour a bit of this ultra-soft water over the car (a bit at a time so I have enough) and let it dry naturally. It takes two minutes to rinse the car this way. Then for fun I go for a short drive on the highway to blow the water drops off, but that's not necessary (well, it is necessary because I like to drive, but you don't have to blow the water off, you can just let it drip dry). I end up with a completely spot-free finish for minimal effort. Saves me a ton of time and looks great. And since I already use a R/O (reverse osmosis) filter for our drinking water it's cheap too!

For what it's worth....

Originally Posted by drtruong
After washing it, take the car on the freeway for a spin. All water spots will be blown away.

It works really good except for the rear bumper.

Have this covered by pulling on the e-brake, that will assist you in either going into a spin cycle to dry, or else turn the car and switch to reverse. That should take care of drying the rear bumper.

I haven't tried one of the water filter units like BATMANs posted. But it makes since that it would work very well without water spots. Water spots are normally caused by the minerals and contaminents in the water. If those are filtered out, there should be no spots. Unless there is lots of dirt in the air or soap deposits. But a good rinse with clean purified water should remove all that stuff.

As for me, I wash and then dry with micro fiber... just ordered Zaino (Z2 and Z8 Grand Finale Spray Seal) BATMANs sold me on the product, he and NSXprime should get some type of commission.

Well, this product works great, but their customer service is piss-poor. Three weeks before the warranty expired one of the PVC fittings broke. I sent them an email asking for a replacement. Three days later, no reply, so I send another email. I ask them if they would like to send me a replacement part or if I should just return the unit to Costco. Still no reply. Guess it's going back to Costco, and I'll just order another one.

I don't know what costco's return policy is like where you live, but here, you can return anything you want even after thouroghly using it and get a full refund with no questions asked, I can't even believe it sometimes.

I used to do California blade and Microfiber. But the Blade can do some damage so I went with the CR spotless water filteration system. It gets rid of the water spots but I hate to see water on the car(specially if you want to wax or detail spray it). Therefore I use the low pressure water technique to sheet most of the water then then gently glide a high end microfiber towel to wipe off most of the water.

A close friend of mine uses a filtered blower like this:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore.com/servlet/the-217/Double-K-Blower-fdsh-Vac/Detail

I have used it many times with excellent results. I haven't bought one yet since I have a bit of hard time justifying the price.

I remove the hose nozzle and turn the water on low and slowly rinse the car and about 80% of the water just beads off. Then I finish it using a waffle weave m/f towel.

this is how i do mine..works like a charm. don't even hafta wring out the towel i have

with my other cars i used the cali blade and the absorber...

9 1st place trophies so far, i guess i'm doing alright :tongue:

this is how i do mine..works like a charm. don't even hafta wring out the towel i have

with my other cars i used the cali blade and the absorber...

9 1st place trophies so far, i guess i'm doing alright :tongue:

Let's see fine pictures! ? !

180790.jpg

Makes me wish the DI water system at work was plumbed to the parking lot. That would be a unique employee benefit. Though I don't know how I'd get the car home clean.

Back to the op's question: I've always used two large waffle weave microfiber towels. One to get most of the water off - the still-dry one to finish up. Top to bottom, in straight wipes parallel to direction of car travel, wash the two towels using a brightener/scent-free detergent in their own load, use the cheap/small microfibers to do the bottom six inches, wheels, and other places not guaranteed to be super clean, etc.

On the other hand I do hit the touchless auto wash (all but inside my neighborhood) on occasion when I just need it clean enough to put the cover on but it is too dirty for quick detail spray to be sane or I don't have the time for a hand wash. I figure that is better than putting the cover on over even just a little dirt/dust or letting it sit uncovered and get dusty. When I do this I just take it for a mile spin at fifty to get most the water off and call it good.

Last edited:
i used the backpack blower but kept getting small oil streaks from the two stroke oil.
i now use my large shop vac and put the hose on the exhaust side with a clean filter and the hose attachment that reduces the opening to about 3/4".
i use it on the engine also along with a boar's hair brush with the metal on the brush covered with blue painter's tape to keep from scratching anything important. it's also a lot more gentle on the engine compartment paint because the airstream doesn't get under any paint or stickers like the 200 mph blower.

Let's see fine pictures! ? !

I haven't entered the nsx into a show yet. Was talking about the teg etc...

The blade seems to work alright with the accord and i30...no added markings under the spot light..I haven't Cali bladed the nsx haha

Sometimes I just drive it around and then just dab off the remaining water, but usually just use a microfiber towel.

I do use a leaf blower every once in a while.

I only dry with extra thick, extra large 100% cotton bath towels. Starting at the top and working down. Never touches the ground or the wheels/wheelwells. Finally, the towels are machine washed separately after each use.

The cars get better quality towels than I use on myself actually. My wife thinks its ridiculous.

Are cotton towels bad for the paint?

P.S. The ABSOLUTE worst is when the dealer runs the cars through their wash despite my standing instructions to leave them alone.

Back