• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do you reach the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)?

Speedometer is acting up so I'm trying to replace the VSS. I've identified where it is but I have no idea how I'm supposed to remove or replace it. It seems like it's buried too far down for me to reach with my hand to even pull out.

I've read all the posts and looked at all the photos I could find but I'm at a loss right now.

Does anyone have any idiot proof steps for me? Preferably with photos.

I've removed the airbox and moved the control box out of the way but it still doesn't seem like there's an opening to reach the sensor.

I'm trying to figure out where the one bolt that Larry mentions here (and in other threads) is but I can't find it for the life of me. Not sure if it's because my vision is blocked by a hose or something or I'm just missing it completely.

The photo here helped me figure out where the VSS was but even with NSX2398's post I can't figure out how to get my arm/hand down there.

Would really appreciate any help that anyone could provide me with. Otherwise I guess I'll take it to Shad to get it out for me :confused:

Wow .. over 2 years later and that still brings back some ugly memories. Sorry I can't add anything new other than the fact that, in hindsight, it solved the problem. Good luck if you attempt it yourself.
Ya it took over an hour just for me to find where the darn thing was. Now that I know where it is I can't figure out how to even reach it or pull it out. Everyone else makes it sound like a quick hour job but I'm pretty sure I'm going to mess something up. I guess that's what I get for trying to save a couple hundred bucks.

Remove cross bar in engine bay
Remove mounting bolts for "control device" (plastic box driver side rear in the engine bay.
Remove single bolt that holds VSS assembly in trans
See here:

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-...ed-manual-engine/engine-cat/speed-sensor-scat

Replace VSS, reassemble.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks for the response Larry. It just seems like there are too many hoses and wires to have enough space to even remove the VSS assembly. Am I supposed to be disconnecting everything in order to have enough space? Is there a difference on an automatic vs manual? I've figured out what I need to do just can't figure out how to do it at this point.

I want to say that I removed the driver's rear wheel and went in from the side. But, Larry has way more experience here and I am sure what he recommends is easiest.

I want to say that I removed the driver's rear wheel and went in from the side. But, Larry has way more experience here and I am sure what he recommends is easiest.

I've gotten the bolts loose on the VSS but I can't reach it with my hand to pull it out. I've loosened the electrical wires that are around it but it still doesn't seem to be enough room to reach in there. It doesn't seem like going from the side would help either.

I've gotten the bolts loose on the VSS but I can't reach it with my hand to pull it out. I've loosened the electrical wires that are around it but it still doesn't seem to be enough room to reach in there. It doesn't seem like going from the side would help either.

I thought it had two or even three bolts. Do this, take your iPhone and put your hand down there, snap a photo and bring it up. I want to say one of the bolts is on the middle side of the unit, and it was pretty hard to reach.

Just put some expanding foam/silicone into the hole and use your chronograph's tachometer ring to figure out your speed. I mean, who needs extra miles on a valuable car anyway?

(I am kidding!)

Just put some expanding foam/silicone into the hole and use your chronograph's tachometer ring to figure out your speed. I mean, who needs extra miles on a valuable car anyway?

(I am kidding!)

Haha if I didn't have to get smogged I might consider it. I got everything all together and it seems like it actually works. Not just a few other issues thay need to be worked out.

Back