• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How long before you came back to the NSX?

I know most of us venture off to other vehicles for whatever reason, but my question is, how long did it take before you came back to the NSX? I am a repeat offender when it comes to venturing off. I went from a 91 to several different sports cars including a 2006 350z Anniv. Ed., a 95 TT supra, but then I drove a friend of mines brand new 08 Vette. I liked it but his was an auto. I ordered a 2008 Silver with red/black interior Vette 6 speed with the Z51 pack, NAV, and everything else you could get from Les Stanford Chevrolet. I hated it from the first day I drove it. Nothing about it felt right and that skip shift garbage drove me crazy. I sold it with only putting 1100 miles on it and immediately purchased a 1992 Formula Red NSX. Well about a year later I got the fever again and sold the 92 NSX for a 2007 BMW Z4 M. It was too cramped inside so I sold it for a 335i 6 speed sport package car. It handled like a slushy that youd buy from your local fast food joint. Then I purchased a 94 Brooklands Green/Onyx and had more trouble out of that car than I could have ever imagined. It spent 5 months at Barneys getting it perfect.....well it was perfect when I got it back but I lost my taste for the car after having to spend so much on it. It was the best car out of the three after it was done but it took so long and so much to get it to that point. I sold it and bought a 2007 Cayman S with only 15k miles on it. I sold it three weeks ago with 19k miles on it and just purchased an NA2. Yes Im excited because buying an NA2 has been one of my goals for quiet some time. I am hoping to have it delivered by next weekend. I shouldve bought an NA2 instead of ordering that Vette......wouldve saved a lot of heartache.

Welp, thats my story, whats yours? Have you left the NSX and returned? If so, how many times?

You might have sold the NA2 also, since you seem to keep cars for weeks, instead of years.

All those and have not tried a 911 yet? Wait until you see what they've done with the 991 that was just announced. Oh me oh my, it is cutting edge and gorgeous to boot.

lol. unless you are a used car dealer, you sir are crazy. you haven't even taken delivery of the NA2, yet, so how are you so sure this is it? :wink:

seriously though, your car progression is a bit odd... you clearly like the NSX, but you clearly dislike something about it. (power?) if it is power, might i suggest some aftermarket mods?

you are missing some fine cars from the list though... i don't see how you could explore other Japanese cars and skip the 300ZX TT/ FD RX-7/ S2000. then you jump from an M to a regular BMW and complain it is soft? shoulda gotten an M3. then you get a Cayman S instead of a 911.

i think your journey might have stopped at any of those points or at the very least you'd have stayed at each point longer.

lol. unless you are a used car dealer, you sir are crazy. you haven't even taken delivery of the NA2, yet, so how are you so sure this is it? :wink:

seriously though, your car progression is a bit odd... you clearly like the NSX, but you clearly dislike something about it. (power?) if it is power, might i suggest some aftermarket mods?

you are missing some fine cars from the list though... i don't see how you could explore other Japanese cars and skip the 300ZX TT/ FD RX-7/ S2000. then you jump from an M to a regular BMW and complain it is soft? shoulda gotten an M3. then you get a Cayman S instead of a 911.

i think your journey might have stopped at any of those points or at the very least you'd have stayed at each point longer.

Well, I left out a few. I had a 99 Carrera in 2002 and a 2001 Carrera Cab. in 2004. I have something against the 911s because the 2001 had 12k miles on it and had a blow out resulting in a head on collision with a Silverado 2500hd. The carrera was hit in the front right which is where the gas tank is. It caught on fire......I was in the hospital for over a month and had to have a home health nurse for another 6 weeks to make it through the colon repair.....so, I'll have to think twice before another 911.

My family has a body shop where we are a direct repair for 6 different insurance companies here in MS. I also buy a few lease ups etc to have a little pre-owned sales thing going. I dont buy anything thats ever been wrecked to resale and try to only buy cars that are still under warranty to resale. I dont want to buy anything that I will have to apoligize for :) That makes my outlet a little easier. Although I did get murdered on the Vette. I have bought all of my NSXs from right here on prime...thats the only place to buy the good ones....right? I just title them in my name DBA my shops name since they are for personal use.

I just keep thinking I'll find something better but then I dont. I will probably want an 02 + later on but I am pretty certain that I will have this 98 for a long time.

Last edited:
I know most of us venture off to other vehicles for whatever reason, but my question is, how long did it take before you came back to the NSX? I am a repeat offender when it comes to venturing off. I went from a 91 to several different sports cars including a 2006 350z Anniv. Ed., a 95 TT supra, but then I drove a friend of mines brand new 08 Vette. I liked it but his was an auto. I ordered a 2008 Silver with red/black interior Vette 6 speed with the Z51 pack, NAV, and everything else you could get from Les Stanford Chevrolet. I hated it from the first day I drove it. Nothing about it felt right and that skip shift garbage drove me crazy. I sold it with only putting 1100 miles on it and immediately purchased a 1992 Formula Red NSX. Well about a year later I got the fever again and sold the 92 NSX for a 2007 BMW Z4 M. It was too cramped inside so I sold it for a 335i 6 speed sport package car. It handled like a slushy that youd buy from your local fast food joint. Then I purchased a 94 Brooklands Green/Onyx and had more trouble out of that car than I could have ever imagined. It spent 5 months at Barneys getting it perfect.....well it was perfect when I got it back but I lost my taste for the car after having to spend so much on it. It was the best car out of the three after it was done but it took so long and so much to get it to that point. I sold it and bought a 2007 Cayman S with only 15k miles on it. I sold it three weeks ago with 19k miles on it and just purchased an NA2. Yes Im excited because buying an NA2 has been one of my goals for quiet some time. I am hoping to have it delivered by next weekend. I shouldve bought an NA2 instead of ordering that Vette......wouldve saved a lot of heartache.

Welp, thats my story, whats yours? Have you left the NSX and returned? If so, how many times?

Going from 91, 92, 94, now a 98. My guess is you'll have a couple more NSX in your future until you hit a 05. By that time, hopefully Honda will have a successor. :biggrin::biggrin:

Well the F430 feels like an NSX to me, just roomier, faster, etc. If you can swing that, I'm sure it will fit the bill...

If you are in the habit of running into HD trucks, I can see why a 911 isn't ideal. A shame though because a GT3 is like a budget Ferrari.

the NSX is a great car and i love it, but there are better depending on your definition. i personally love how it looks and that is mainly why i bought it...

Answering your original question it took me 1 year from when I sold my '03 to the point when I started looking for another one. I now own a 2004 Silverstone with the CTSC.

It is so funny how often we see this cycle. ( although not to the Op's extent) But so many people buy these cars and love them but " want a little more" sell them only to find out how some other cars have let's say Not as good of an owner experience.

I have been a car dealer for 12 years and did a lot of buying and selling prior to that. Bought my first NSX in I think 02? Since then I have driven SO MANY other cars... 911's 360's etc. I love the cars. However they are so expensive to repair, maintain in comparison. I am completely biased in these comments as I am an avid NSX lover but for me personally.. I may want to see if the grass is greener every once in a while but then I think about it and actually put numbers on it all I never pull the trigger. In my opinion the NSX gives you everything you need in a sports car and more. ( of course with a small power addition ) :biggrin:

I thought I had problems:) I just sold my 91 NSX and have already started saving for a new one. I cant stop thinking of this car for some reason. I did it for good reasons but It's like breaking up with that hot girlfriend and realizing how dumb you were to do so:biggrin:

The NSX has an aura about it......yes, I know it sounds stupid. I have riden in an F430 but havent driven one. I did drive an F458 Italia.....and was pretty amazed. I have other more important priorities before I justify purchasing that much of a car.

I thought your first nsx was the one that in a family dispute the black nsx had been abused inside and out with white paint? Didn't you even do a write up on it here?

Went from the 03 to the 911 back in 05 or so when we learned the baby was on the way (figured Id do 4 seats)

Ended up trading the 911 for a truck. Added my current 99 as a 3rd car in 09. This is my 3rd NSX (originally had a 98 that I traded in for the 03 back in 03)

I tend to have ADD with cars also... Im sort of always torn between the NSX, 911 turbo and the F355. Ill always love the F355 but will never own one... Theyre just too expensive to run IMO. At some point I suspect I will go back to the 911. It is a very difficult combination of qualities to beat.

I sold my 92 GPW in 2006. Just bought a 92 Berlina Black this past April. I didn't go to other sports cars just a couple of BMW and Lexus Sedans. Now I want to buy an NA2. Since you go through NSX's like water, give me a heads up when you sell your Berlina Black NA2 that you just picked up:tongue:

Changing cars as often as you do can result in lots of tax and DMV fees, but I guess when you suffer from (ADD cars) it's worth it. Good luck with this one

I thought your first nsx was the one that in a family dispute the black nsx had been abused inside and out with white paint? Didn't you even do a write up on it here?

Yes sorry lol. My red,green, and 98 black ones came from prime. The 91 was bought from IAA before I had access to the lease/program cars. I dont even have an account with them anymore.

Changing cars as often as you do can result in lots of tax and DMV fees, but I guess when you suffer from (ADD cars) it's worth it. Good luck with this one
^Its ok if you buy cars for what we buy them for^

Never left, and don't plan to. 7 years and running :smile:

Last edited:
Been on for 5 years don't see me getting off. Took me awhile to get this one dialed in which makes me want to keep it that much more. Why give it up now for someone else to enjoy.

Yes at times I want more power but with the X I'm going as fast as the law allows! I think vette, 911, CTS V but they don't seem to turn my head as much and I see them a lot.

Just added a truck to the mix for some variety. My wife says there is a fine line between collecting and hoarding and I'm trying to get as close as possible!

To awswer the OP's question: never left and probably never will!

Back