• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How long until paint fades?

Hey all! Still eagerly awaiting picking up my NSX-T on Tuesday. I do have a question...

How many years will the paint last on the aluminum NSX body before it begins to swirl and fade? For instance, on a 10 year old red car, will the paint look old or still be in good condition?

For comparison, I had a 1984 Nissan 300ZX that in 1995 was basically a pink car that came out looking pretty good right after a wax but mostly was showing its age.

Will the NSX have similar paint problems with fading and turning pink or having white swirls in it? The ZX was maintained very well, garage kept, and waxed with carnauba since inception, but still faded. What are your experiences with Acura paint on this aluminum body?

Thanks.

First let me say; what in the world were you smoking when you sold a 97 Supra Turbo with 15k on it? and secondly, do you have anything left?:biggrin: :tongue:

Seriously,

The paint on my 92 is still flawless. It depends on how you treat it and where your car is stored. My stays in the garage all the time and I only use Zymol products, the real Zymol-not the garbage you buy in Target. Its like your health, take car of your body and it will take care of you.

Every NSX meet I go to, everyone always comments on my paint. Try the "search", youll find out about the extensive NSX paint process and how its "multi-baked", it will look good for years to come.

I have a friend who knows extremely much about the NSX.

He said that the paint on the NSX is very special and have several layers of different protection on it.

So, the paint of the NSX will last much longer than the average car. NSX rocks :D

After I get a car wash, I'll be driving down Westheimer(in houston) and someone will roll their window down and say "nice car, looks brand new"

But like The Kid says, it really does depend on how well you treat it. I wash my car almost every weekend, and unfortunately, I don't have a garage, but I keep it under covered parking, and cover it with a Weathershield HD car cover.

-97 Red -T

The Kid said:
It depends on how you treat it and where your car is stored.
Yes, exactly. Swirls accumulate primarily as a result of improper detailing techniques (failure to use clean towels swapping them constantly, soft towels made from microfiber or 100 percent cotton, etc). Fading occurs primarily as a result of exposure to sunlight (tree sap and bird droppings don't help, either). If you're careful about how you detail the car (or who details it) and you keep it in a garage (best) or covered parking space (better) or under a car cover (good), it will look good for many, many years.

I peeled off a pinstripe that the original owner of my NSX had applied.
I was leery of doing this--I thought there might be a shadow of less-faded
paint where the pinstripe had been--but there isn't. You can't see where
the stripe was.

The car has always been garaged, but the stripe had been on the car
for 9 years and 45,000 miles.

Of all the cars I've owned, the NSX has by FAR the best paint. My '91 looks better now than most of my new cars did after only a season or two. It really is amazing.

I'm sure there are a few faded ones out there, but the paint itself is put on thick...so with normal care, any NSX should look great.

Tom239 said:
I peeled off a pinstripe that the original owner of my NSX had applied.
I was leery of doing this--I thought there might be a shadow of less-faded
paint where the pinstripe had been--but there isn't. You can't see where
the stripe was.

The car has always been garaged, but the stripe had been on the car
for 9 years and 45,000 miles.

Pinstripe on an NSX? Thats crazy:eek:

NSXFreak00 said:
After I get a car wash, I'll be driving down Westheimer(in houston) and someone will roll their window down and say "nice car, looks brand new"

But like The Kid says, it really does depend on how well you treat it. I wash my car almost every weekend, and unfortunately, I don't have a garage, but I keep it under covered parking, and cover it with a Weathershield HD car cover.

-97 Red -T

Some would say that taking your car to a car wash is not the best way to take care of a cars finish. Thats unless the car wash is a hand wash by a professional

Okay, that makes me relax a little bit as well. As far as the 97 Supra TT, I bought it with 2,000 miles in 1998, moved to Florida and only drove it about 3,000 miles a year. I guess I didn't really realize what I had and sold it for $31K. I'm a dumb arse!

Anyway, where can I find this Zymol that you mentioned? Also, will it hurt the car to use a different product than what the original owner has used? I don't know what the Original owner has been using, but I have to assume he's been using something.

One more day closer to Tuesday! Can't wait to pick her up!

Brian

blavenia said:
Okay, that makes me relax a little bit as well. As far as the 97 Supra TT, I bought it with 2,000 miles in 1998, moved to Florida and only drove it about 3,000 miles a year. I guess I didn't really realize what I had and sold it for $31K. I'm a dumb arse!

Anyway, where can I find this Zymol that you mentioned? Also, will it hurt the car to use a different product than what the original owner has used? I don't know what the Original owner has been using, but I have to assume he's been using something.

One more day closer to Tuesday! Can't wait to pick her up!

Brian

Check the detailing forum for all your needs. Im lazy I buy the Zymol products and give them to my detailer at work:biggrin:

Back