• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many bought their NSX in a color they didn't want?

Just curious... the last car I bought was the last color I would have chosen... "cayenne metallic," but for the miles, maintenance and history of the car, I could not find a better deal... so I "settled." I still enjoy the car, of course, and I detail it once a week-ish...

Even still... I like to keep an eye on the NSX market to plan for that future purchase, but practically half of the cars that I could realistically afford are my least favorite color (red). Anyone wish they would have found a different color than what they wound up with?

I never settle when it comes to a car color. If I can't find the one I want I won't buy. My problem has been that the car I bought came out in a better color in later years. I bought a Silverstone Honda S2000 in 2001 because it didn't come in blue and I liked the Silverstone best of the available colors. Then, in 2002 the car came out in Suzuka blue. So, finally, in 2004, I bought a 2005 Suzuka Blue S2000. Then in 2006 Honda comes out with a Laguna Blue S2000, a much better blue! Crap. I looked at a 2009 Laguna Blue S2000 twice, talked price, etc, but couldn't go for a third S2000. Ended up buying my '05 Long Beach Blue Pearl NSX instead! :biggrin:

I wanted an all stock yellow/ivory coupe, manual, without electric steering assist, flip up headlights, 3.2 engine.

I'd have a better chance winning the lottery with that combo. So red/ivory and a smaller engine it was:)

I’m wondering what other tradeoffs NSX owners have made.
My car is silver, not my first choice, but I’m OK with it. My main compromise was not in color, but transmission. I am the king of manual transmission lovers, and yet I got a seriously smokin’ deal on my AT car that neither I nor any of you could have passed it up.
Hey, I got into an NSX years ahead of schedule because of that, and I can still swap out to MT whenever. Might be a while, though. I have the car pretty much sorted the way I like it by now.
A red NSX, while sharing that color with most other NSX’s, is nonetheless a rare car. So when the time comes I’d like to replace with red or LBBP.

My car is silver, not my first choice, but I’m OK with it. My main compromise was not in color, but transmission. I am the king of manual transmission lovers, and yet I got a seriously smokin’ deal on my AT car that neither I nor any of you could have passed it up.

If it was an auto i could have passed it up lol. I would never buy an nsx in auto. I dont even want a ferrari in auto. The gtr in auto blows imo, should have put a 6 speed in it and lived with 0-60 in 4 seconds.
As for color i guess i just dont care for the most part. I had the 02 blk/blk which was classy elegant, but now im thinking after the crash of getting a car on the complete opposite side of the spectrun. Different ext and int. Im not sure its "settling" but for the most part the nsx looks bad ass in all colors. The only color i would want, that we all prob want, would be white on black or even better, white on red. For me it doesnt matter. I hope to have a thread up in a few weeks on the next car i will get..... I may just get it and leave it on jack stands until i get the body kit repainted, the springs on, redo the oem wheels ect. Point is any and every nsx looks nice. Its not the colors but the upkeep

Last edited:
To be honest... I originally WANTED a red nsx... and ended up finding one in Monte Carlo Blue, which i had never seen before i purchased it.. Figured, eh, why not... and ever since I loveeeeee the color along with LBBP

I origionally wanted GPW with the black roof. Red was my 2nd choice. Got red don't regret it.

Isn't that thousands of dollars to do? For that kind of money, we could be talking about significantly more horsepower!!!!

You can do it yourself. It's not hard. The only way it will look remotely good is if you have a black car. Otherwise the door jams and under the hood and engine bay will all be a different color. The fake CF stuff looks good on small interior parts but looks like crap when you start putting in on larger parts.

+ it dont shine like paint. It's a dull semi gloss finish with no depth to it. Unless you want that Flat look.

Last edited:
I can compromise on color, high mileage and almost anything else but I cannot buy an NSX in auto, even if I got a smoking deal.

I have always wanted a white NSX , and I got it !!

I can compromise on color, high mileage and almost anything else but I cannot buy an NSX in auto, even if I got a smoking deal.

I have always wanted a white NSX , and I got it !!

Agreed. I would not buy one in auto either. So much of what makes it fun is lost with the auto... 4 speeds instead of 5/6... 18-38 less horsepower, lower redline... I can't imagine the car would be any faster than a V6 Accord...

The only way I would buy one in auto is if I could flip it for a profit, and then get a proper NSX.

You can do it yourself. It's not hard. The only way it will look remotely good is if you have a black car. Otherwise the door jams and under the hood and engine bay will all be a different color. The fake CF stuff looks good on small interior parts but looks like crap when you start putting in on larger parts.

+ it dont shine like paint. It's a dull semi gloss finish with no depth to it. Unless you want that Flat look.

So you're saying that even with the black car, it's still mismatched, but since it's black, it doesn't clash, right?

Last edited:
Agreed. I would not buy one in auto either. So much of what makes it fun is lost with the auto... 4 speeds instead of 5/6... 18-38 less horsepower, lower redline... I can't imagine the car would be any faster than a V6 Accord...

The only way I would buy one in auto is if I could flip it for a profit, and then get a proper NSX.

Well, I won’t sit here and try to sugarcoat it. As an auto, it is what it is. That said, it has kept me happy enough to keep from jumping into manual NSX for a few years, now. Would it whip yours on the track? Not a chance. But at the risk of going against the site’s culture of AT bashing, I’ll tell you it’s not as slow as you might think.
Again, this is from a dyed-in-the-wool MT lover.
I actually have a V-6 Accord. FWIW, the NSX is faster by far.

Well, I won’t sit here and try to sugarcoat it. As an auto, it is what it is. That said, it has kept me happy enough to keep from jumping into manual NSX for a few years, now. Would it whip yours on the track? Not a chance. But at the risk of going against the site’s culture of AT bashing, I’ll tell you it’s not as slow as you might think.
Again, this is from a dyed-in-the-wool MT lover.
I actually have a V-6 Accord. FWIW, the NSX is faster by far.

"AT Bashing" LOL! I definitely prefer manual, but the issue with the NSX auto in particular is the 252 hp vs 270/290. But hey, if you like it, then that's awesome.

"AT Bashing" LOL! I definitely prefer manual, but the issue with the NSX auto in particular is the 252 hp vs 270/290. But hey, if you like it, then that's awesome.

Naw, naaman. I’m actually in your camp. I was just pleasantly surprised with the performance after everything I’d read, you know?
Still planning MT one of these days. LBBP is the ideal. Nice ride.

I got lucky. The color combo, the modifications, and the price were all what I would have done and in my price range. Score!

NA2, GPW, 2002+ OEM Facelift, CF goodies, Red reupholstered seats, Black interior.

Sold.

QPDO

I wanted a Low Mileage Silver... spent months waiting and several plane trips to see them (and one deal that the rug was pulled out from under my feet)

ended up getting a 05 Silverstone, 14k miles. If i didnt buy it, a White/Black 05 came on the market about a month after i bought mine that i would have purchased.

I settled for my second choice color scheme at the time,in 96 sebring was not happening, of course I was not Larry Ellison, so black tan it was.

I sort of did. I wanted a black/black and "settled" for a black/ivory since the car otherwise was a great deal. Now I'm glad I have the Ivory.

Docjohn has the worst story though, as Acura didn't tell him about the NA2 when he bought his 96. He could have waited until 97 and got all the goodies. :mad:

I had a handful of colors that I knew I didn't want and so only looked at those colors on the list. Overall, the lines of this car are fantastic and while I suppose Imola Orange is my #1 pic, I'm super happy with my silverstone.

IMO, you need to determine which factors are deal breakers, and which are nice to have.
A deal breaker means, unless they're selling it for half of it's actual value, you wont buy the car (And if it IS at half value, there's probably something wrong)
The 'nice to haves' are the features you would prefer, but depending on the other features and price, you can compromise.

For me, Exterior colour is usually a deal breaker, and if it takes me an extra 6+ months of searching 10 different websites daily, then I'll do it.

When I bought my last car, my deal breakers were:
Ext. Colour: LeMans Blue
Year: 01-03
Milage: < 65K Miles
Int. Colour: Caramel or solid black

Any car that didn't meet that criteria, no matter the price, I passed up.
My 'nice to have' list included:
PDC
rear sunshades
recent maintenance
decent price
mods (exhaust, SSK)
etc.

I'll be searching for an NSX in a few months, and I know my first deal breaker will be that it has to be GPW/Black. As much as I love the other colours too, I'll be passing up any car that isn't GPW/Black.

Naw, naaman. I’m actually in your camp. I was just pleasantly surprised with the performance after everything I’d read, you know?
Still planning MT one of these days. LBBP is the ideal. Nice ride.

Oh, it's not mine. :redface: My ideal NSX would be LBBP or Monaco Blue; white/ivory interior; coupe; 17" wheels all around; 3.0L (to be bored/stroked to 3.8, along with all the supporting mods etc); 6 speed; 02 update to FRONT only, with the (A) on the back center piece, rather than "ACURA". The car would appear to be a completely stock 02+ (minus the rear turn signals).

IMO, you need to determine which factors are deal breakers, and which are nice to have.
A deal breaker means, unless they're selling it for half of it's actual value, you wont buy the car (And if it IS at half value, there's probably something wrong)
The 'nice to haves' are the features you would prefer, but depending on the other features and price, you can compromise.

For me, Exterior colour is usually a deal breaker, and if it takes me an extra 6+ months of searching 10 different websites daily, then I'll do it.

When I bought my last car, my deal breakers were:
Ext. Colour: LeMans Blue
Year: 01-03
Milage: < 65K Miles
Int. Colour: Caramel or solid black

Any car that didn't meet that criteria, no matter the price, I passed up.
My 'nice to have' list included:
PDC
rear sunshades
recent maintenance
decent price
mods (exhaust, SSK)
etc.

I'll be searching for an NSX in a few months, and I know my first deal breaker will be that it has to be GPW/Black. As much as I love the other colours too, I'll be passing up any car that isn't GPW/Black.

As you can see from my list above, my dream car doesn't even exist, so I will either have to compromise on color, engine, and/or T-tops.

I also really like black/red, and silver/any (available) color. When it comes down to it, I will compromise on the interior color before I will compromise on the exterior color, and I will compromise on exterior color only after searching ~$1500 above my price range.

My current NSX is Black But I always wanted a Midnight Pearl. I had an opportunity to pick one up a few years ago, but couldn't get what I wanted for my black '91. Right now...I am very happy with the Black. :biggrin:

Silverstone/Black was (still is) my first choice.... even contemplated Black/Black but ended up with LBBP/Black. The exterior color wasn't really a deal breaker for me. I'm just glad to finally own my dream car!

Back