• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many people bought their NSX and drove it 1000+ miles home?

It seems that many owners buy their NSX and drive it several hundred miles and across several state lines to bring it home instead of having it shipped. It's almost like a rite of passage in NSX ownership.

How many people have driven their NSX 1000+ miles to bring it home? Any regrets? Any good stories?

Another thread in this forum is discussing just that.

Right of passage maybe. Insurance you are getting what you pay for....yes. I drove my car 3k miles back because the purchase was implimented through ebay and wanted to insure the car's existance.

On that note, It was a great time to get a chance to know the car. I do feel if there was a major problem that was overlooked at first, one would most likely be able to detect it during a "road trip." And hopefully if there was, it would not leave you stranded.

after a long search, I finally found one here on Prime in Portland, Ore.
After getting a PPI done(which came back very positive) I bought a one way ticket to Portland...Was picked up at the airport in the NSX and a few stops and about an hour later I was on my way back to So Cal(just over 1000 miles):D
It was by far the funnest time I ever had behind the wheel:p
I knew I would love this car when less then an hour in to my trip I passed by a Civic full of hotties and they all gave me a big smile and a wave:D That was just some of the beautiful scenery I saw on the way home..It was June and Oregon was GREEN from top to bottom and Cali was beautiful as always.....I saw alot of Vette's and Porsche's but not one NSX
:cool:

Needless to say...It was well worth the drive:D

here's a pic from the other day at Mission San Luis Rey(oldest mission in California?)

Attachments

• missio.jpg
    missio.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 329
I bought mine in Houston, TX and drove it 2000 miles to Sacramento, CA. It took me 30 hours, nonstop. I loved the drive, and it was the best "roadtrip" I've ever had. Now, I hope to emulate Meeyatch1 by doing it more often! :D

Bought mine in Tucson in Nov, 2001 and drove 2000 miles home to Canada in about 40 hours through Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota and into Saskatchewan. Some beautiful country.

I thought my biggest problem would be that I would be stopped regularly because I had no plates on it (only an Arizona temp permit and Canadian trip insurance). I wasn't stopped once .. in fact a cop passed me without even slowing down. Oh, and I accidentally drove into a sobriety check in a small New Mexico town on a Friday night as I took a short-cut between 2 freeways.

The biggest problem was in South Dakota where it was hunting season and I saw several deer in the ditches ready to wander onto the road.

The most bizarre part of the trip was that it was just a couple of months after Sept 11 and the airline wasn't eager to sell me a one-way ticket to the US so I ended up taking a Greyhound bus down and it took something like 54 hours. I got to see Alberta, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, and Arizona but I gotta tell you .. the characters that ride the bus are a different breed .. I could tell you some bizarre stories!

So, in the span of slightly less than 5 days, what I refer to as "the road trip" must have covered 4500 miles, 10 States, and 2 provinces. The border crossing was anti-climactic .. only about 20 mins to fill out some paperwork. The NSX worked like a charm although the Bose amps needed replacing so the music sort of sucked.

NSX2398 said:

The most bizarre part of the trip was that it was just a couple of months after Sept 11 and the airline wasn't eager to sell me a one-way ticket to the US so I ended up taking a Greyhound bus down and it took something like 54 hours. I got to see Alberta, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, and Arizona but I gotta tell you .. the characters that ride the bus are a different breed .. I could tell you some bizarre stories!

Wow. I can't even imagine being on a Greyhound bus for that long.

Bought it in Ft Lauderdale, FL and my wife shotgunned all the way back to North Potomac, MD. ~1200 miles. Great trip. One night at the Marriott Sawgrass Resort, east of Jacksonville.

I bought mine in Tampa, Fl and drove back 2600 miles to Greeley, CO. Great trip, I spread it out over a week to make stops in MS and AR to show it off to, err, I mean, visit friends and family. The only downside is possible bad weather. I ran into a nasty windstorm in eastern Colorado, tumbleweed and dust blowing all over the place.

Will

I purchased my NSX in San Francisco, CA and drove it close to 2,000 miles back to Dallas, TX. I stopped the first night in Marina Del Ray, CA. The trip to Marina Del Ray was great. California is certainly a beautiful state.

The next day I drove through the rest of southern California, Arizona, and stopped in Lac Cruces New Mexico.

It was a great trip. The car performed flawlessly other than the ABS going nuts on the morning I woke up in Las Cruces. I had a small heart attack when the machine gun-like sound was going off. Luckily, it stopped. I then proceeded to McDonalds to gorge myself on Sausage biscuits and was on my way.

Like others have mentioned, it is a trip you will never forget. A trip like this is as close as you can get to bonding with a non living object.

I don't think there is much to get acclamaited with as far as the car is concerned. With the NSX, there are no quirks or oddities. The ergonomics are perfect. The handling needs no description.

Anyway, I recommend taking a nice long trip in the NSX. It will make you appreciate the NSX that much as it illustrates just how unique this car really is.

Back