• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How much for do you pay for oil change

Well i went down to the dealership today and asked how much they would do an oil change for...first they said 34.99 and then after the found out it was a nsx, they said $70 wtf... i could do my oil change w/ factory filter for less than $25. I heard some people here get theirs done for like $25 at the dealership...

I end up changing my oil based on time instead of miles. I think I have only put 2000 miles on it since I have owned it. I change my oil myself I think I usually spend about $30.00.

The local stealership here once charged me $90. They said that it takes more skill on an NSX. Horsecrap! Since then I've done every oil change myself. The oil filter from HondaAcuraWorld cost around $10 and a case of MobilOne 10W30 is $23. So for a total of $33 and one diet coke I do it myself. I also do my own brake work for the same reason. I was once charged $600 to change the pads, rotors and bleed the brakes. And, I supplied all the parts.

Why is it that stealerships think that we are unable to do simple maintanence ourself. Furthermore, because it's an NSX, they think that they can gouge our eyes out at the same time.

I USED to go to Cush Acura in San Diego and for the first few oil changes I've gotten, I was charged 19.99. Cheaper than what the Honda dealer charges to get an oil change for my Accord. Sweet. Then the last time I was charged $50 because they said it was an NSX. They blocked all prices for the parts and labor on the sheet. I was pissed. I never went back. My car's warranty was running out... it was my last intended visit anyway. Punks.

I think Hoehn Acura tried to do the same thing to me... but I'm not too sure... I'm not going back there either because of another service issue with my targa panels. Acura dealers suck.

$35.00 Mobil 1 and filter at the dealership with an NSX tech doing the job...

WOW!!! I just called my Acura dealership and they charge $102 for an oil change on ANY NSX!!!!

I told them that was ridiculous and they said that was the going price.

This is University Acura in Clovis California.... Man do they kill me there.

I asked them how much on an RSX and they said $52. I asked them WHY there was such a difference and they said, "Well sir... you're now talking about a mid-engine car" I told them that it's easier than changing the oil on my Lotus Esprit and the Lotus dealership will charge me $80 (TRUTH!). He said he didn't believe me and that I should learn more about mid engine cars... AHHHHHH!!! This is my 3rd Mid Engine car.... This guy's killing me!

I can't wait to drive over there with my Esprit and point out to him how to change the oil... Then I'll go with my NSX...

EG-

Thats one thing about owning an NSX...they always just jack up the price cuz of the car....I never try mentioning what car i have when i want my car serviced...Its like when they hear that its a NSX, its a ring in the bell to tell them to rip us

There is no difference in effort, so there's no reason any dealership should charge more for an NSX than any other car, except for the quantity of oil. (The NSX takes one quart more than my Integra.)

I must say, I have never had an Acura dealer ask an higher price because my car is an NSX. I am not disputing the veracity of these reports, but would like to point out that there are plenty of dealers who do not do so.

My dealer frequently runs specials on oil changes for $29.95, and charges the same price for an NSX as for an Integra. They don't stock 10W30 synthetic, so I bring my own oil and they charge me something less than $29.95 - around $25, I think. With my $20 cost for the oil, I pay around $45.

For some of the routine maintenance services - oil changes, brake pad changes, tire mounting/balancing - there is nothing different about the work on an NSX than on any other car (except that they need a lift whose arms will reach under the car, since it's lower, and you want a place that will take extra special care to prevent door dings and such). You can have it done at a dealership for any brand, or at an independent mechanic. Or, if you don't mind working on your car and you have the place, tools, and knowledge, you can do it yourself.

If my dealer asked $100 for an oil change, I would go elsewhere. I would find a good independent mechanic in my area. Another option, as I noted above, is to find a really top-notch service department in a dealership for another brand. They might be very interested in getting your business, and might go out of their way to treat you well - since you're not a "captive audience" like the customers driving their own brand of cars. I bet the Honda dealership in your town might welcome your business...

Once you figure out where you're going to take it, find out if they stock the oil you use and the OEM NSX oil filter. If not, buy a case of OEM NSX oil filters (and crush washers), as well as the 10W30 synthetic, and bring it with you. Many places that don't stock it will appreciate the convenience to them.

NSXTACY-

Their number is Toll Free 888-693-2419

I would love to have you speak to their service department and tell them about your experience with your dealership as they don't seem to believe me.

I WILL be doing my own oil changes.

eg9 said:
WOW!!! I just called my Acura dealership and they charge $102 for an oil change on ANY NSX!!!!

I told them that was ridiculous and they said that was the going price.

This is University Acura in Clovis California.... Man do they kill me there.

I asked them how much on an RSX and they said $52. I asked them WHY there was such a difference and they said, "Well sir... you're now talking about a mid-engine car" I told them that it's easier than changing the oil on my Lotus Esprit and the Lotus dealership will charge me $80 (TRUTH!). He said he didn't believe me and that I should learn more about mid engine cars... AHHHHHH!!! This is my 3rd Mid Engine car.... This guy's killing me!

I can't wait to drive over there with my Esprit and point out to him how to change the oil... Then I'll go with my NSX...

EG-

-eg

i find it ridiculous too that a mid engine is harder to work with....the NSX is so easily accessible to the drain nut and filter. I think it is much easier than my Honda Prelude where you really have to reach up behind the engine to get it out... Even at $35/oil change for reg. car, i understand maybe like $5 more because of the more expensive filter for a NSX but double...WoW

nsxtasy said:

My dealer frequently runs specials on oil changes for $29.95, and charges the same price for an NSX as for an Integra. They don't stock 10W30 synthetic, so I bring my own oil and they charge me something less than $29.95 - around $25, I think. With my $20 cost for the oil, I pay around $45.

I usally only have my Nsx serviced at Davis Acura...last time i was there a Mobile One oil change and filter was 65 which is about rite

eg9 said:
I would love to have you speak to their service department and tell them about your experience with your dealership as they don't seem to believe me.

Actually, it sounds like you might have a bigger problem - I bet this dealership rarely if ever works on NSXs. (Which will continue to be the case, of course.)

By all means, do whatever service work you feel comfortable doing yourself. But for the bigger, more complicated jobs - timing belts, clutch replacements, etc - if you're not comfortable doing them yourself, you might want to look for someplace else. Which, unfortunately, is probably going to mean traveling a considerable distance. Oh well... :(

Last oil change was at Acura of Libertyville $19.99 and I brought the oil (mobil 1). And the let me tell you, they love to rev with the Taitec. After a sec there were a crowd of salespeople checking it out. A lot of "wow" I never heard an NSX sound like that before!, hence no major services of mine will be goig there as they rarely see NSX's.....nice people though.
I'll save the major stuff for Pauly Acura.
Aaron

tustin acura $24.99
niguel motors $19.99

i have experienced something very similar with my IS300. the local lexus dealer wants 49.99 to change the oil which i think is ridiculous. so... i brought it next door to the toyota dealership and they quoted me 29.99... until they found out it was a lexus... then they refused to touch the car. they said they "have an agreement" with lexus. whatever. screw lexus... hello jiffylube!!

I'll call tomorrow to see what my dealership charges. The NSX is an extremely easy car to change the oil on. The oil filter is very easy to get to. My truck is harder, I think they designed it for a monkey to change. You can always tell when a newer Toyota Tacoma has had an oil change, they drip oil from the skid plate afterwards. There is no way to get the filter off without dripping oil down there :(.

What cost?

I leased my NSX from Greenwich Acura, they include free oil changes for life with all new sales (any model ) so, I let them do it, plus they wash the car, and give me a loaner, not a bad deal!:D

I have a lot of friends who are mechanics for some dealers... and MANY work on the side....
find the nsx tech
then ask what they would do on the side..

you'd be surprised...

-x-

i started out as a tech at mazda when i was 18....switched carreers and now own a NSX...changing the oil on a NSX is easy..filter and drain plug are next to each other right at the botton on the RHS....and believe me it is a hell of alot easy to change the oil on a NSX than on any 4 cylinder Mazda car.....did i mentioned that it cost $18.88 (CND) back when in 1996 ...cost now $25.88 (CND) for an oil change for a mazda...

I just changed my oil here is the breakdown:

1 - NSX oil filter (the correct longer one!) with crush washer $13.85 CND
1 - 10W30 Tri-Synthetic Mobil 1 4Liter $25.99
1 - 10W30 Tri-Synthetic Mobil 1 1Liter $6.99

Grand Total with me providing the labour including Taxes $53.85CND or $38.29 US

other than a little mess removing the oil filter, it's very easy to DIY. the place i took it to charged me $47.00 which i think it was resonable. since then, i'm doing oil change myself. amsoil 10w 30$36.85/6qrts and $15.55 for the oil filter.

Back