• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How much is my NSX worth?

I have a 91 blk/blk 5spd. the car has about 13K in upgrades like HRE 547 series wheels with michelin pilot sport tire(85%). custom sound system. custom painted engine bay, all maintenance like timming belt and fluids etc.. The trans is not in snap ring range. Just wondered what I could get if I was to sale? Oh yeah the car has 86K on the odo.

TIA
Jeff

Originally posted by NetViper:
I would think you might be able to get 35. Not much more.

Quite honestly I think 35K would be a stretch, please jump in if you think I'm crazy. Without seeing the car, I would guess more in the $30-31K range, of course depending on what else you have in that $13K worth of modifications, you may find a buyer that is looking for just that and get more.

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 25 July 2002).]

Originally posted by Jonathan:
Quite honestly I think 35K would be a stretch, please jump in if you think I'm crazy. Without seeing the car, I would guess more in the $30-31K range

I agree, assuming it's in very good condition, history, clean title, 5-speed. If everything is absolutely immaculate and perfect, maybe another grand or so, but probably no higher.

I just purchased a 1991 with 28k miles,5speed, red/black,mint condition out of snap ring range. I paid 34.5k the seller was asking $36.5k. so low 30,s sounds realistic for your car.

youd probably be better off taking off the rims and tires and selling them seperately. basically you'd be getting nothing for them if you sold them with the car. if you have anything else you can swap back to stock and sell seperately, i'd consider that as well. its a pain in the a$$ but you'll make out in the end.

Originally posted by robr:
youd probably be better off taking off the rims and tires and selling them seperately. basically you'd be getting nothing for them if you sold them with the car. if you have anything else you can swap back to stock and sell seperately, i'd consider that as well. its a pain in the a$$ but you'll make out in the end.
I agree with robr

Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong, but (not in all cases), all the aftermarket custom work you do to a car doesn't "up" the value of it. If anything, it lowers the value.

You'd probably have a better chance of selling it stock. You would have more buyers if they know you didn't really messed with the car.
Its just my opinion, so, anyone care to elaborate?

Tan

depends, the aftermarket sometimes can lower the value because people are afraid the car was beat on. if you "seem" like someone who isn't a car beater, and the car is in excellent shape and you have all the service records, that can offset the beat worry.

as far as getting back your money for the upgrades though, forget it. anything you can put back to stock and sell seperately, you should if you want to maximize your profit. from the sound of it, you might be able to make at least an additional few grand going that route. it may even be worth it to hunt down stock parts if you no longer have them so you can pull the aftermarket stuff off. for example, if you no longer have them, you can probably pick up a set of 91-93 rims and tires for a few hundred (or less if the tires are crap), and sell your wheels for $2-3k depending on condition.

as for the sound system..... well, you obviously wont make back any money you spent on the install. look thru ebay and see what the components you have sell for to decide if its worth pulling them out (most used car audio gear doesn't go for a lot used unless its something highly desirable, such as dynaudio seperates).

no eggspert here, but ive seen several posts where it has been suggested that the biggest problem with selling a car with many aftermarket upgrades is----you lower the number of potential buyers who want the exact same things you put on this car.

good luck with your potential sale....

sell your wheels for $2-3k depending on condition.

You haven't tried selling used wheels, have you? You can sell them separately, and you'll probably get more than a set of old stock wheels will cost, but you won't get anywhere near that amount. ***EDIT*** or maybe you will - see below. ***

most used car audio gear doesn't go for a lot used

Just like used wheels...

unless its something highly desirable

...like the '94+ OEM wheels.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 26 July 2002).]

Originally posted by BlackNSXtacy (sic):
Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong, but (not in all cases), all the aftermarket custom work you do to a car doesn't "up" the value of it. If anything, it lowers the value.
You'd probably have a better chance of selling it stock. You would have more buyers if they know you didn't really messed with the car.
Its just my opinion, so, anyone care to elaborate?

depends, the aftermarket sometimes can lower the value because people are afraid the car was beat on. if you "seem" like someone who isn't a car beater, and the car is in excellent shape and you have all the service records, that can offset the beat worry.

as far as getting back your money for the upgrades though, forget it. anything you can put back to stock and sell seperately, you should if you want to maximize your profit.

Some upgrades are undesirable because they are in poor taste. Paint the center console orange and the car will be much more difficult to sell for the same price.

Some upgrades are desirable and can raise the market value of the car; examples include the '94+ OEM wheels on a '91-93, a supercharger, or a big brake kit. However, they never raise the value by the entire cost of the upgrade, and rarely by as much as half.

Some upgrades are fairly common and don't have much effect either way; aftermarket exhaust and headers generally fall into this category.

i depreciated accordingly, the HRE547 wheels are almost $6000 without tires.

They ARE???
eek.gif

Sorry (especially Alan), I did not realize...

P.S. The main reason I knocked a few grand off the price that would otherwise apply to an immaculate '91 is for the somewhat higher mileage on this one. Many '91 cars have 30-50K miles on them and will sell for more, such as DURIM91NSX's car.

i didnt realize either, i looked them up before i posted a figure as i knew SOMEONE would jump on me if i didnt do my homework
smile.gif

Jeff,
Can you post a pic of your car? Just curious of what it looks like!

------------------
Biaggi
92 Red NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

I would love to post a pic but I dont know how. If someone will host it for me. Ill send the pic now. Its not the best quality because it was scanned from a camera image but you can tell its a very nice NSX
wink.gif

Back