• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How safe is the security system on early models?

Hello Prime,

As the title states, I was wondering if there are different levels of security over the several years of Nsx development. I have a 91 with a aftermarket security system and a detachable steering wheel.
Were our cars ever built with a chipped key? If so, when did it begin? Are the systems interchangeable from later models to early models by changing out the security ecu, locks, etc?

As my ownership pursues, so does the money I put into the car. Therefore, I want the best security system available for the car. I currently have the oem security system with an additional viper alarm system. Plus, the steering wheel is detachable with a quick connect that has long been discontinued so there is no worry of someone with a nrg steering hub trying to jack the car. Is it possible to swap security ecu's with later models which have the immobilizer function?

Thanks in advance....

Which Viper alarm do you have? I have the top of the line Viper 5906v on my Gemballa (which I will also install the exact alarm to my NSX, once I get it back from the shop), and it has the 1mi two way pager. This makes a huge difference in peace of mind for me. It allows me to make a determination about what's going on, and if I need to make a call to the police. I also have additional modules like dual stage shock sensor, and glass breakage sensor (mic), so I feel very secure about the alarm protection of both cars.
Perhaps you can add additional modules to your existing Viper, or upgrade the brain and remote (since you already have all the other wiring installed within your car).

Last edited:
1997 was the first year to get the factory immobilizer.

You probably better off with an aftermarket alarm that has GPS than the oem security. At this point car thieves probably knows how to bypass the factory immobilizer as every car has one.

Back