• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to access trunk key cylinder?

Registered Member
I want to order a monel key, but I’m not sure how to access the number on the trunk key cylinder. Can someone lead me to a diagram or tell me how to do it?

You would need to remove the center tail light from inside the trunk.

However why don't you just order monel key from a US dealer or online dealer like AcuraPartsForLess. You don't need to provide any key cylinder code. Just take it to dealer and they can cut it for you.

You would need to remove the center tail light from inside the trunk.

However why don't you just order monel key from a US dealer or online dealer like AcuraPartsForLess. You don't need to provide any key cylinder code. Just take it to dealer and they can cut it for you.

Be careful with this, not all US dealerships have the equipment to cut the Monel key anymore. You would want to call your local dealership and make sure they are still able to do it. Also some dealerships won't warranty the key if you don't buy it from them, so if they screw it up they won't replace it.

I want to order a monel key, but I’m not sure how to access the number on the trunk key cylinder. Can someone lead me to a diagram or tell me how to do it?

You'll need to remove part of the trunk lining, there are screw clips holding it to the body, a phillips screwdriver and a trim removal tool will take those out, then it's just four 8mm bolts. you'll want a deep socket. When you put the tail light back on snug the bolts down but not super tight just snug. leave the trunk lining open for a day or two and then come back and snug the bolts again. If you over tighten them you'll break the post attachments on the tail light housing. Doing it incrementally allows the gasket to compress slowly and lessens the risk of damage.

Be careful with this, not all US dealerships have the equipment to cut the Monel key anymore. You would want to call your local dealership and make sure they are still able to do it. Also some dealerships won't warranty the key if you don't buy it from them, so if they screw it up they won't replace it.
If you have an original key, the number will be on that key to make a copy. Check you keys. The dealer will look that number up and cross reference it to a key cut code. (if they still have the cutter and someone with the knowledge to do it.

If you have an original key, the number will be on that key to make a copy. Check you keys. The dealer will look that number up and cross reference it to a key cut code. (if they still have the cutter and someone with the knowledge to do it.

Thanks for the info! I didn’t realize you could get it from the key. 2 of my keys have the number, but one doesn’t. Just to be sure, the 4 digit number on my key that I partially obscured is correct. Right?

993AE845-FC44-48B3-8751-E64C93615639.jpg

Thanks for the info! I didn’t realize you could get it from the key. 2 of my keys have the number, but one doesn’t. Just to be sure, the 4 digit number on my key that I partially obscured is correct. Right?

View attachment 168128

That’s correct

That is correct. Finding the number is the easy part. Finding a dealer that can still do it may be harder to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is correct. Finding the number is the easy part. Finding a dealer that can still do it may be harder to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was planning to order from mita motorsports. I also doubt my dealer would be of any help

Back