• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to best clean a dusty car

Josh ,sounds like you were jilted by a Cal duster:tongue:

Nope, just believe in educating. You'd be amazed at what some of the most hard core car enthusiasts do to there cars that is sooooo wrong for the finish.

I only do and recommend what is the safest possible solution for the situation given.

Last edited:
I guess I have a hard time believing that CA dusters cause swirls. If they were so bad like some say why would guys at hot rod shows and people like Chip Foose who work on cars that are lot more expensive and rare than an NSX use them? I always keep a good coat of wax on the car and use the NXT wax and no more swirl marks. I just do not believe that CA dusters make things worse..............:confused: They work fine for me and it worked fine w/ me when I had a black car. I guess it depends on the type of wax or detail job done before.

What does wax have to do with anything??

First off, all the show cars use them cause it's EASY (not cause it's safe) and the main way to keep dust off the car while outside for so long. Personally I don't, I would rather it be slightly dusty then to drag all that air blown dirt accross my finish.

Chipp Foose?? What does he know about detailing?? He's a designer for crying out loud? Does he make his living detailing peoples cars, NO! I don't make my living cause I'm a great detailer, I make my living and have the clients I do cause I'm honest and cause I care more about my clients cars then they do and I only do what's best and safest for their cars.

Answer me this. Where does all that dust and dirt go once you've wiped it off with the CA duster? Does it magically disappear or does it get dragged back accross the car next time you dust it? So are you telling me that dragging dust and dirt accross your finish is good for it?

As for you waxing with NXT, NXT is a filler wax with a slight cleaner in it, so what you see after using it is a nice clear finish that will last you about 3-4 weeks, tops. The reason the finish looks so good is due to the high oil and sylicone content NXT has in it which fill in the swirls and temporaily hides them till the oils wash off the car after a couple washes.

You may think that wax is great cause how it makes your car look, but you are mistaken. Those swirls are still there you just can't see them for the moment.

Last edited:
Don't think it reduces the "pulling" of particles across the finish much, but I do think because it's made of micro fiber it is about as "paint friendly" as you can get.

You are correct. No matter how soft the material is, if it's dirty and dusty it will still drag the particles accross the finish and that is never a good thing.

The swirls may not show up right away and maybe they're light enough to not be so noticable but if it's leaving even a microscopic scratch it WILL take away from the overall gloss of the finish.

Ever notice why the finish is in great shape but just doesn't have that wet mirror like gloss to it anymore??

hmmmmm I wonder...... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Yes, waxes and sealants are not designed to protect against scratches and such damage. It is meerly an environmental protection against sun, precipitation and helps contamination not bond to the surface as easily and such issues.

That would be like putting sunblock on your skin and expecting it to resist a knife cutting you or finger nails scratching you.

No matter how much and what kind of wax/sealant you have on your car a bird drop will still eat through the clear coat and leave marks. However with wax/sealants on the car it will take slightly longer for it to etch it's way in and should be easier to remove, but by no means will stop it acidic nature.

Josh

Did you know NSX owners are always right? How dare a professional detailer tell them how to detail? :wink:

Josh, I saw the detail you did on a 2005 NSX. Looked like the paint was still liquid and clear. Impressive; however, if you really want to impress, I say perform the same magic with the same results on a '91 Black/black NSX....like....erm.....MINE:redface:

Josh, I saw the detail you did on a 2005 NSX. Looked like the paint was still liquid and clear. Impressive; however, if you really want to impress, I say perform the same magic with the same results on a '91 Black/black NSX....like....erm.....MINE:redface:

No problem, just have it shipped to my address with a blank check made out to OttmannDetailing in the driver seat....:biggrin:

Seriously though, I know some really great detailers in FL that can perform on the same level as that black 05 I perfected. If you ever need a name and number to have your paint reconditioned just let me know.

Josh

Nope, just believe in educating. You'd be amazed at what some of the most hard core car enthusiasts do to there cars that is sooooo wrong for the finish.

I only do and recommend what is the safest possible solution for the situation given.

Josh what wax brands/types do you recommend for each step? Thanks in advance!

No problem, just have it shipped to my address with a blank check made out to OttmannDetailing in the driver seat....:biggrin:

Seriously though, I know some really great detailers in FL that can perform on the same level as that black 05 I perfected. If you ever need a name and number to have your paint reconditioned just let me know.

Josh

I would appreciate it. Finding a detailer in Miami that actually knows what they are doing had proved difficult for me. If you can PM me a excellent detailer in the S. Florida area, I would be most thankful :biggrin:

I would appreciate it. Finding a detailer in Miami that actually knows what they are doing had proved difficult for me. If you can PM me a excellent detailer in the S. Florida area, I would be most thankful :biggrin:

Contact Todd Helme at Tropical Detailing Excellence/AKA Belle Macchina. 407-963-1444.

He's one of the best in the country IMO and makes frequent trips to S.FL, do whatever it takes to get on his schedule, you'll be absolutely amazed.

Let him know Josh referred you and you'll get 50% off...... j/k:biggrin:

Josh

I use meguiars speed detailer and a mictofiber cloth, I usually keep it in the car at all times too for emergency bird bomb cleaning

it works great :)

For bird bombs, yes, do whatever it takes to get them off the car ASAP, the acid nature will eat through your wax and clear coat very fast.

Bird etching is one of the worst damages to remove in my experiences, I'd rather work on a car that's been keyed then badly etched by bird bombs.

Josh what wax brands/types do you recommend for each step? Thanks in advance!

Depends on what you're wanting to accomplish?
Carnuaba's tend to give a more "warm" and more depth type of look but only last a few weeks, polymer sealants tend to give a more "glassy" look with longer last results 2+ months. Some inbetween waxes that have fillers, carnuabas and polymer resins tend to give a nice wet glossy look, but again only last a few weeks......

Remeber everything is about the prep work. You just can't put a ton of make up on an ugly girl (paint finish) and expect her to look sexy....

For maintaince I highly recommend two bucket washing, this is the key to not getting swirls on the car already, along with a high velocity electric leaf blower to dry and then touch up with a MF towel and a good polymer detailer such as Zaino Z8 or Meg's Ultimate QD after each wash, this will increase the slickness and longevity of whatever wax/sealant you use.

After a thorough two bucket wash, now comes the prep stage and you'll need to clay it with a mild clay. Meg's makes a good OTC white clay you can buy as a kit with a MF towel and lube at any auto store.

After claying, if you have swirls (which 99% of cars do) you need to either polish it with a mild abrasive polish to help relevel the surface the remove some swirls. You will need a PC (porter cable random orbital buffer ROB) for this to get good results. A rotary will give you great results and perfection if you know what you're doing, but wouldn't use it unless you have an understanding of the dynamics at play.

There are soooo many polishes out there that work differently and give different results it's hard to recommend one. I really like the Menzerna line for serious correction. For lighter less cutting polishes, try something like Zaino Fusion and follow up with Zaino AIO.

Then you'll be ready to seal/wax it. I do not use carnuaba's unless requested as they just don't give long lasting protection. Carnuaba's typically last 3 weeks or so. Alot of other sealants and carnuabas and glazes use sylicones and oils to help there products "look" better by filling in defects, but these same oils rinse off after a few washings and thus cause the protect to rinse off with them since they're all mixed together.

Most great polymer sealant products I've seen and heard about last up to 2 months 3 at best and they seem to be the water based polymer sealants with no oils.

The longest lasting protection I've used is the Zaino line sealants.

So for Carnuaba's, it's up to you, there's tons of them out there. I hear a lot of good from P21S 100%.

For sealants, again tons of them out there, but my favorite is Zaino for it's durability but needs a good warm environment for easy application.

For interiors 303 Aerospace is a great product.

For leather, Leatherique is probably the best rejuvinator (if you follow directions) Zaino Z9, Z10 are also very good for just maintaince cleaning and conditioning.

For exhaust tips, #0000 steel wool and Blue Magic Metal Polish is excellent for cleaning up blackened tips.

Again there's tons of good car care products out there. Meg's has a huge line with lots of good products, so does 3M...... try www.Autogeek.net, they are a great online vendor with tons of info on each product.

Sorry this is so long, you asked for names, brands and types and such, so I did my best to thoroughly answer your question....:biggrin:
Josh

Last edited:
Josh thank you for the detailed response!
My only problem is I don't have an orbital buffer or any experience with one. I recently clayed the car with Meg's OTC kit, then used Meg's cleaner wax followed by Meg's polish then glaze. Finally used NXT for last coat. However I agree it doesn't seem to last that long or at least as long as I was hoping for. The body shop did wash it once and I saw them use a "chamme" (don't know the spelling) and blah I've got swirl marks all over again.. :redface:

I need the use of an orbital buffer and I'm gonna try the zaino line.

Josh thank you for the detailed response!
My only problem is I don't have an orbital buffer or any experience with one. I recently clayed the car with Meg's OTC kit, then used Meg's cleaner wax followed by Meg's polish then glaze. Finally used NXT for last coat. However I agree it doesn't seem to last that long or at least as long as I was hoping for. The body shop did wash it once and I saw them use a "chamme" (don't know the spelling) and blah I've got swirl marks all over again.. :redface:

I need the use of an orbital buffer and I'm gonna try the zaino line.

The swirls marks probably came back due to all the products you put on your car that you mentioned are designed to fill and the body shop probably washed off the fillers you put on....

If you don't mind investing a few hundred, try getting a PC , it is well worth the investment. Then a few pads to go along with it and try the Menzerna IP with a light cutting pad and Zaino ZPC (Fusion) with a white pad, throw away your cleaner waxes and hit it with ZAIO and Z5 and top the Z5 with Z8 gloss enhancer (just a polymer spray). The Menz IP will cut out a lot of your swirls (since NSX paint is so extremely soft) then the ZPC will refine the MIP leaving an incredible gloss, then the ZAIO will finish it all off and be the perfect molecular foundation for the Z5. With that combination I would expect no less then 4 months durability.

Give youself a good weekend for this. Spread the polishes around quickly at speed 2 then once spread work it in at speed 5 till almost clear and almost dry then wipe off thoroughly.

You might want to practice on the wifes car or whatever just to get a feel for it all. The PC is very user friendly, you will not hurt your car at all.

I dont' know what condition your NSX is in, but I'm assuming the worst and giving what I consider to be the safest process for someone without experience. I would not expect 100% swirls to be gone when you're finished, maybe 50-60% at best. It's a PC not a Rotary and to achieve 100% perfect paint typicaly requires the skilled use of a rotary.

Josh

For bird bombs, yes, do whatever it takes to get them off the car ASAP, the acid nature will eat through your wax and clear coat very fast.

Bird etching is one of the worst damages to remove in my experiences, I'd rather work on a car that's been keyed then badly etched by bird bombs.

yes I know, that's why I always carry around the bottle and a couple of towels, all of my friends make fun of me about how anal I am about my paint

I'm picking up my first NSX next month, it's berlina black and I can't wait to work the magic on it

here is my current car :)
http://thefuller.googlepages.com/IMG_6122.jpg

what kind of products do you usually use? I'm a big fan of optimum's line of compounds, especially their sealant
and for wax I use poorboy's natty blue

here is my current car :)
http://thefuller.googlepages.com/IMG_6122.jpg

what kind of products do you usually use? I'm a big fan of optimum's line of compounds, especially their sealant
and for wax I use poorboy's natty blue

If you read a few posts above, you'll see a lot of the products I use. I don't have the energy to retype it all.:wink:

I've heard some good things about Optimum's compounds. When it comes to sealants though I swear by Zaino. I've yet to find any that can rival it's durability and shine. But really if you're rewaxing every month it won't make much difference between brands and doing the proper preperation will make a huge difference in how effective the sealants are as well as how deep and wet the shine will look reguardless of sealants/waxes.

Josh

If you read a few posts above, you'll see a lot of the products I use. I don't have the energy to retype it all.:wink:

I've heard some good things about Optimum's compounds. When it comes to sealants though I swear by Zaino. I've yet to find any that can rival it's durability and shine. But really if you're rewaxing every month it won't make much difference between brands and doing the proper preperation will make a huge difference in how effective the sealants are as well as how deep and wet the shine will look reguardless of sealants/waxes.

Josh

doh, I didn't even see that huge post up there

doh, I didn't even see that huge post up there

I only named a few that I know of and am more familiar with. I know there are hudreds out there, and again if properly prepped and maintained the wax/sealants are really personal preference.

I wish I could even name half of the good product lines out there, that's why I referenced www.autogeek.net , they have most all of them.

I have used the Cali Duster and performed the CD scratch test and no marks are left on a new CD, so how can it scratch my paint? We are only talking dust here, not dirt. I then follow up with a clean MicroFiber towel and detail spray. One towel to apply, another to wipe dry.

How can washing the car not scratch the paint? You drag a sponge across the paint along with the dirt also. I know some show car owners that use Cali Dusters. They only wash when it gets dirty, not dusty from sitting in the garage.

I think I have scratched my car more by washing it than by dusting it. Plus if you wash it alot you get corrosion on the coils and the tail lights will eventually fog up.

Did everyone know that you are supposed to let the Cali Duster AIR DRY out of its case for 24 hours prior to use?

I have used the Cali Duster and performed the CD scratch test and no marks are left on a new CD, so how can it scratch my paint? We are only talking dust here, not dirt. I then follow up with a clean MicroFiber towel and detail spray. One towel to apply, another to wipe dry.

How can washing the car not scratch the paint? You drag a sponge across the paint along with the dirt also. I know some show car owners that use Cali Dusters. They only wash when it gets dirty, not dusty from sitting in the garage.

I think I have scratched my car more by washing it than by dusting it. Plus if you wash it alot you get corrosion on the coils and the tail lights will eventually fog up.

Did everyone know that you are supposed to let the Cali Duster AIR DRY out of its case for 24 hours prior to use?

the polycarbonate on a CD is a lot harder then the surface of your paint ;)

Joshvette,
Sorry for the dumb question, but what do you mean by PC. I just picked up a 91 with 21k miles and the paint is in very great shape, but since it is black and has minor swirls I would like to learn how I can bring back to life. Thanks

John

If you don't mind investing a few hundred, try getting a PC , it is well worth the investment. Then a few pads to go along with it and try the Menzerna IP with a light cutting pad and Zaino ZPC (Fusion) with a white pad, throw away your cleaner waxes and hit it with ZAIO and Z5 and top the Z5 with Z8 gloss enhancer (just a polymer spray). The Menz IP will cut out a lot of your swirls (since NSX paint is so extremely soft) then the ZPC will refine the MIP leaving an incredible gloss, then the ZAIO will finish it all off and be the perfect molecular foundation for the Z5. With that combination I would expect no less then 4 months durability.

Give youself a good weekend for this. Spread the polishes around quickly at speed 2 then once spread work it in at speed 5 till almost clear and almost dry then wipe off thoroughly.

You might want to practice on the wifes car or whatever just to get a feel for it all. The PC is very user friendly, you will not hurt your car at all.

I dont' know what condition your NSX is in, but I'm assuming the worst and giving what I consider to be the safest process for someone without experience. I would not expect 100% swirls to be gone when you're finished, maybe 50-60% at best. It's a PC not a Rotary and to achieve 100% perfect paint typicaly requires the skilled use of a rotary.

Josh[/QUOTE]

Back