• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to get my car a bit louder?

So my car sounds great, it has the GTLW exhaust (just howls and sounds exotic) and I have the Uni-filter with stock box and the Downforce AIS. However, when I am not accelerating or under load (going up a hill), the car's sound volume gets cut by 70%. Now it's too quiet. much better once I did those upgrades, but if it can sound the same (in tone and quality) but a bit louder (all the time), I'd be much happier. Is there any trick that anyone knows of or ideas to get reach my goal that isn't too expensive, ie headers are not an option for me. Thanks, thought I'd ask. Maybe someone knows of something that I don't know of..

Depending on how old your exhaust is, they usually tend to get a bit louder after some serious miles are put on them.

Generally an open-element air filter should make it a bit louder as well.

But honestly, if you can't afford headers, maybe the NSX isn't a good choice for you at this point.

testpipes. they replace the cats. louder, but stinky at the same time.

I dont even notice the stinks with my setup. Now on the civic, thats a different story. Lol.
uni filter/H/test pipes/ cantrell ex..

Depending on how old your exhaust is, they usually tend to get a bit louder after some serious miles are put on them.

Generally an open-element air filter should make it a bit louder as well.

But honestly, if you can't afford headers, maybe the NSX isn't a good choice for you at this point.

I have 5 cars, I don't need to be spending much more on them, as I have other important things to spend money on. Plus the NSX is at our second home and there is no place nearby that can install something such as headers anyways. Just seeing if there's something out there that I don't know of that the community has done. My exhaust is 3 years old.

Test pipes would sound like they fit my bill, however I've heard a couple before and they sound raspy and throaty, I don't want to loose the "quality" of my exhaust sound - which is A+. Thanks for the idea though. Do 200 cell high flow cats add much to the sound? Still more money and time searching for a place to put them on for me I suppose than I am looking for.... I doubt there's any answer other than headers/test pipes/high flow cats, but thought I'd ask. I learned about the Downforce AIS from here a few years ago, so who knows what I can learn...

U need to consider the STMPO

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Eo7hDeqgZ_4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Eo7hDeqgZ_4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JRsRZOx7eOY?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JRsRZOx7eOY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

take out some sound deadening? drive with windows down?

take out some sound deadening? drive with windows down?

+1

Remove your engine cover if you have one on there.

Remove the interior rear firewall panels.

Replace the rear divider glass with a single pane window or even Lexan.

All these are basically free and save weight too!

Dave

I would recommend test pipes. I have test pipes with my GTLW and I really like the sound. Test pipes should cost less than $200 and are very easy to install.

Drive in a lower gear, at higher revs.

You would think this would be the answer, but surprisingly, like my Boxster as well, it smoothes out when you do this, and is actually quieter for the most part. Doing 55-65 the exhaust sounds pretty good in 5th, but at 75, as the tach moves up, it gets quieter. Same can be said at lower gears. It's only louder when the tach is moving quickly (under throttle).

swimmingpie - you don't happen to have a audio clip of your car would you? Do you have the stock cats in place with that set up? Where are there test pipes to buy for around $200?? I did a quick search trying to find vendors who sell NSX parts such as this, and came up pretty empty handed.

Batman - like the sound of that STMPO at idle. But I love my GTLW's tone.

Mac Attack - I do still have the engine cover in place. I haven't removed it since I'm not sure if the heat will hurt my rear window tint and that I thought I'd hear more of the valve-train clatter more than anything, the motor in the NSX doesn't sound good idling if you just listen to the engine - way to much clatter. Maybe under driving it would help though! How do you remove the engine cover?

Thanks again for the suggestions. I will try some and look into some as well.

Test pipes are definitely the most economical and easiest way to make your car louder. I think they run like $150 a pair or something. And they are really easy for even you to install yourself. If you don't like them, then remove them and re-sell them and you've hardly spent any money just to see.

Ok, SOS has them for $279 2.25" and STMPO has them for $189 for 2.00". Not sure what the difference would be. I can't tell for sure if all the mounting hardware is included and if that price is for the set of 2 (though I'm 98% sure it would be).

I'm assuming you undo like 3-4 bolts in those flanges and remove the cats, then redo with these test pipes to replace?? I did brake pads and rotors front/back on my IS300 a few weeks ago with a friend, that's about all the automotive doing I've ever done. I'm more of a detailer. :redface:

When I stated $150, I was talking about the going rate for used test pipes. And you would be able to re-sell them for that amount if you didn't like them.
I don't know the exact differences between SoS and STMPO (the .25" diameter part) but I would assume they serve the same purpose. Just make sure to get one that fits your year application. Do a quick search in the parts for sale subforum and you should be able to find a set for sale. Here's a couple that's still possibly available.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149250&highlight=test+pipes
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148321&highlight=test+pipes

As for installation, it's just unbolting the the bolts attached to your cats to the headers and exhaust and re-installing them to the test pipes. And based on your screen name, I am assuming you have a '91 so you don't have OBD2 and won't need to worry about the O2 sensors (if I am correct but not sure since I have a '96+ and needed the bung sensors from Ebay for my test pipes).

Yes, I just was wondering about the bung plug or O2 sensor, what you say makes sense though because mine's a '91.

Since I don't have headers, I assume putting test pipes on wouldn't make it as loud as someone with the same set up WITH headers??? Also, I can't imagine how hard it may be to take the bolts out of the cat pipe since they've been on forever with all that heat.

Unless u have immediate plans to go the Supercharger route the STMPO one will suffice.

Ah, thanks. SC doesn't appeal to me at all, so if I decide to do this, the STMPO's will probably be the ones to get. I will probably start a thread soon about peoples thoughts on test pipes and to hear some videos or descriptions on the matter. I just don't want the pipes to ruin the nice tone of my GTLW exhaust and I have no clue at this point what it will do to that. I'd hope just make it louder.

Test pipes will probably change the sound a bit. Why don't you keep on the lookout for a used set of headers?

Ah, thanks. SC doesn't appeal to me at all, so if I decide to do this, the STMPO's will probably be the ones to get. I will probably start a thread soon about peoples thoughts on test pipes and to hear some videos or descriptions on the matter. I just don't want the pipes to ruin the nice tone of my GTLW exhaust and I have no clue at this point what it will do to that. I'd hope just make it louder.

I've heard GTLW and Test pipes combo and it sounds pretty good.

I can't say the same about other combinations.

Like everyone said, test pipes are the cheapest way to make your car louder. They will change the sound of the exhaust though. I say pick up a used set, install them, and if you dont like them, re-sell them. Or find someone local with the same setup and listen for yourself

swimmingpie - you don't happen to have a audio clip of your car would you? Do you have the stock cats in place with that set up? Where are there test pipes to buy for around $200?? I did a quick search trying to find vendors who sell NSX parts such as this, and came up pretty empty handed.
When I get home in a few days, I will put up some sound clips of my current setup. Currently, I have Cantrell headers and Taitec test pipes going into the GTLW. If you want me to, it would be no problem to reinstall my stock cats for comparison. I can also do a comparison inside with and without the engine cover. Whatever you want. I haven't actually heard the exhaust with cats so it would be interesting to hear for me.

Test pipes will also make your car smell really awful, since they add to air pollution. And they're illegal in many jurisdictions too, for that very reason. I strongly recommend against them. Give your fellow air-breathers a break here.

I have a Comptech header and Taitech GTLW exhaust. I replaced the cats with test pipes and the car is INSANELY loud both outside and inside the cabin. It's even loud at idle. I use mine primarily for the track so it's not a big deal. It sounds insane at WOT.

Back