• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to install the 2004 Nsx headlight on a 1993 car?

Hello,
Is cutting the aluminum metal brackets located around the original 1993 headlight housing and motor necessary when installing the 2002-2004 headlights? I want to know from people who have performed the headlight swap and have succeeded. Any advice and information will be helpful. Thank you.

You've read all about this and know that you have to either replace, or cut/repair the hood too, right?

Hello,

Thanks for your help everyone. I have a 2003 style bumper fitment for the headlights already. However, I did know there was a mounting bracket availble for 2003 headlights to fit on a later model Nsx. I am please to hear that, rather than having the body shop suggesting to cut the aluminum.

I am aware that the hood needs to be altered too. But is there anything else that is needed to make this 2003 Headlioght kit work? All I have is the 2003 headlights housing and I have the OEM HIDs with ballast. What little screws and bolts would I else need? Any other suggestions or missing pieces in order to make this headlight fit properly? Are their pieces I do not need to buy from the Acura dealer since I have the later model Nsx? Please let me know. You guys have been very helpful. Thank you. Andy

Me too. I now have the 04 headlight but not sure how to put all the things together. The headlight manual was not included. There is this grey colour circular rubber that goes to the highlight, do I push it all in or what. And how to reroute the signal light to the top? I'm worried the place where I'm sending the car for painting won't know how to do it since this will be the first NSX here to do the 04 facelift. Anyway, I've already installed 04 tailights but this couple of days are raining heavilly and moisture is collecting inside the tailights.

I just installed a set of the 2002 OEM headlamps in a pre 2002 NSX.
These headlamps do not drop in the car without a alteration to the inner side of the headlamp bucket. Acura had to cut this panel and weld a "pocket" or "cup" shaped piece into this bucket to fit the adjuster which protrudes into this space.
No "bracket " is going to fix this problem but you do need brackets to mount the lamp once this alteration to the body has been made.
See this link and scroll down.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8197&highlight=2002+headlamp
You will see where on this install(not one done by myself) where it illustrates the problem and how in this example they solved it by cutting and hammering the panel until the adjuster cleared the bucket.
In our install we made my our own, cup like panel, that looks very similiar to the oem solution.
Some folks on this forum have claimed to sell drop in 02+ headlamp upgrades with no cutting because of the brackets they provide. I don't see how. I can't see how a bracket can make this lamp fit this space without some cutting and/or some fabrication and neither did Acura/Honda.

Last edited:
If I'm not asking too much could you illustrate how the cutting on the headlamp well to be done. I am not quite clear as to how to cut and hammer them into the shape. In fact into what shape should I go for? Maybe if anybody has the post 02 NSX could you please post a photo of your headlamp well so I could get some ideas on how to shape mine. Thanks in advance.

If you click on the link in my prior post and scroll down you will see a example. When you try to put the lamp in yourself you will see where it hits on the bucket.

Each headlamp housing cost about $918 a pair retail from the Acura Dealership. the headlight is plastic and not glass, so I would be meticulous about purchasing it from private parties becasue you might pick one up that shas swirl marks on the lens. I hope this helps. Andy C :D

S D NSX said:
What headlamps are you talking about?

I guess the headlamps that Nsxboy3 means are the 02 headlamp. They are plasctic except for the lens that cover each bulbs. There will be four different bulbs for each headlamp. On the side is signal, close to it is HID bulb, next to HID bulb is High Beam bulb and the very small one on the top is probably the running light.

Jin1976 is correct. I was referring to the 02' Nsx headights because thats what this thread was regarding. I started this thread because I have no idea what parts and tips I would need to install the headlight conversion. I never realized how costly it is to complete the conversion. Andy C :eek:

Back