• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to learn SoCal english?

'sup. :D

Anyone got some guides or translators so i can sound more californian? :D A work colleague of mine is visiting LA soon and I've taught him everything I know... any assistance would be appreciated fo' sure dawg's. :D

I made a video that you might be interested in Neo.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mKsRhEFX8hA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mKsRhEFX8hA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

You are real dope Malibu! :D Rap on gangsta!

Thank you ... that is extremely educational. I will be studying this for weeks to come, so the rhymes come naturally. ;) Word.

Oh ya................

Now that's what I'm talking about.

For sho!!!!!!!!!!!

I made a video that you might be interested in Neo.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mKsRhEFX8hA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mKsRhEFX8hA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

That is entertaining. A couple of things were things I didn't realize were "SoCal" things.

I guess "blinker" for turn signal is an east coast thing; I say blinker although many in SoCal do say "turn signal"

I have never been asked for my "license number" when being asked for my registration or VIN. It's always "license and registration please"

We don't call our money "bills"--yes, the paper notes are called "dollar bills" and they are "bills" but saying "bill" alone would suggest an invoice. A check is only an invoice at a restaurant. Otherwise it is a bank check from a bank either written by you or to you for deposit.

Funny about "insure" vs. "ensure". Ensure was never always a word, at least not in the American dictionary. Insure can serve all usage purposes and ensure was basically created for an unknown reason. I have seen "ensure" in dictionaries recently. I use insure but I think most people actually use ensure unless speaking specifically about insurance.

No one says "beverages" for drinks. You only see than on menus. "Drinks" work fine. People will think you are a space alien or cyborg if you say "beverages".

I have never seen or heard an earthquake referred to as a "temblor."

The letter "Z" is pronounced "zee", leading to product names like "E-Z Kleen" or "La-Z Boy" (I still read the latter as "Lah-ZED-boy" after all the years I've been here).

Now this is just stupid. I always thought that pronuncing "Z" as "Zed" was totally ridiculous and pointless. Plus, it kills all the great puns that can be achieved by substituting Z for words that end in "sy" or "zy"! La-Z-Boy is supposed to be a pun on "Lazy"! La-Zed-Boy? Are you kidding?

I have never been confused when someone says Z. I have never thought it sounded similar to C. Drop the -ed! I think it's funny when Jeremy Clarkson refers to the ZO6 as the Zed-O6. How about the 240 Zed? Arrggh!

Slough is usually pronounced as "sluff," as in "slough off"

unfortunately these two tips below from that same site are very true :frown: :mad:

* Most Californians don't by and large bother with turn signals when turning or changing lanes. This is both dangerous and illegal, but very widespread.

* Californian drivers usually ignore lane discipline and drive in whatever lane they feel like, regardless of speed. Luckily it's usually legal to pass ("overtake") in a slower lane.

unfortunately these two tips below from that same site are very true :frown: :mad:

* Most Californians don't by and large bother with turn signals when turning or changing lanes. This is both dangerous and illegal, but very widespread.

* Californian drivers usually ignore lane discipline and drive in whatever lane they feel like, regardless of speed. Luckily it's usually legal to pass ("overtake") in a slower lane.

+1 :mad:

This is hilarious: SoCal crime and what to avoid.

Apparently, this is how to determine if you're in a bad neighborhood:

--Are there lots of old, beaten-up, large American cars parked on the street or driving around?

--Are there lots of liquor stores in the area, i.e. one on nearly every corner of the larger streets? Do these stores have bars across the windows and doors?

--Are there lots of check cashing stores in the area? Are they heavily barred?

--Are there "donuts" on the streets at nearly every intersection? ("Donuts" are the circular skid marks left on the street by cars "doing donuts", i.e. repeatedly making fast small-radius turns in the street with screeching / burning rubber...).

ROFL :biggrin:

This is hilarious: SoCal crime and what to avoid.

Apparently, this is how to determine if you're in a bad neighborhood:

--Are there "donuts" on the streets at nearly every intersection? ("Donuts" are the circular skid marks left on the street by cars "doing donuts", i.e. repeatedly making fast small-radius turns in the street with screeching / burning rubber...).

ROFL :biggrin:

Ahem* FYI - the proper Kali term is called, "Busting a beyatch "

:tongue:

Back