• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

how to minimize rear inside tire wear

I have a 91 with 215-40-17 Toyo Proxes T1R front and 275-35-18 Proxes rear. At 8,000 miles there are signs of accellerated inside rear tire wear, I know the NSX has an appitite for rear tires but wanted to know if there is a kit available or an optimum camber and toe adjustment to minimize the wear,
I've searched and saw recommendations for setting camber to 93 spec's with 0 degree toe in, is this the best the car will adjust to? is there an aftermarket adjustment plate that can give better results?

I have a 91 with 215-40-17 Toyo Proxes T1R front and 275-35-18 Proxes rear. At 8,000 miles there are signs of accellerated inside rear tire wear, I know the NSX has an appitite for rear tires but wanted to know if there is a kit available or an optimum camber and toe adjustment to minimize the wear,
I've searched and saw recommendations for setting camber to 93 spec's with 0 degree toe in, is this the best the car will adjust to? is there an aftermarket adjustment plate that can give better results?

yes and yes. search and you will find a PRIME member that is offering rear camber correction bushings.

When the NSX is aligned to the factory specs, the rear tires on an NSX normally wear very evenly; excessive wear on the inside part of the tread is only common on the front tires.

If your rear tires are wearing more rapidly on the inside, it sounds like it is out of alignment; just aligning it to the factory specs should even out the tire wear, assuming you don't have any other suspension problems (shocks, bushings, bent components, etc). If you want to reduce rear toe, it will give you a bit more treadlife at the expense of a slight degradation in handling, but that's not causing uneven tire wear.

My rear camber is sitting at almost -3.7* due to the excessive drop, from my understanding the correction bushings are no longer in production and few are floating around for sale....

Also, who still has the tools to install them? Id do it myself but without these tools I fear of breaking a control arm in the press.

My last set of tires were shot on the inside edge even after correcting the toe on our rack. Fronts are a given but not worried about that. Want factory settings in the rear to get a more planted contact patch :smile:

There is plenty of camber adjustment on the rear. Your alignment guy can get it pretty straight if he max out the camber adjustment. make sure the toe is right then wear will be minimal.

I reached out to Thom twice no responce, also googled his business in Mckinney Texas 20 miles from where I live, apparently not there anymore:frown:
I just bellied up and put two new tires on the rear, will have it aligned at the dealer. Should it be spec or adjusted to compensate for inside tire wear? Anyone have a suggestion how much + or - camber should be set at?

I reached out to Thom twice no responce, also googled his business in Mckinney Texas 20 miles from where I live, apparently not there anymore:frown:
I just bellied up and put two new tires on the rear, will have it aligned at the dealer. Should it be spec or adjusted to compensate for inside tire wear? Anyone have a suggestion how much + or - camber should be set at?

Spec.

How much lower is you car? You may not be able to get back to spec if it is very low. In that case, either raise the car (if they are coilovers) or get as close to possible to spec and/or bump up the tire pressure a bit.

Your alignment guy can get it pretty straight if he max out the camber adjustment.

I'm the alignment guy lol. I maxed out the camber setting and got my toe within spec. Im still degrees away from factory setting of my rear camber. I need these bushings but havent gotten word on where to find them and the tools required for installation.

I would rather just buy a camber kit than raise the car up :cool:

Only advice I can give for all you slammed dudes is to check your rear tires visualy every time you fill up with gas,or at least at regular intervals.At xpo every year i have attended we always see guys who are oblivious to the severe inner tire wear,because the outer tire looks so good.

Stop driving on Interstates, and drive aggressively on winding roads. Then, you will use more of the tread, evening out the wear.

-3.7 means new rear tires about every 5k miles or less if you're paying attenion as Doc mentioned. :redface:
As you seem well aware it does affect the contact patch.

Cruising around on the street with this setting the rear tire contact patch is about as big as bicycle tire.:biggrin:

I use to have -3.5. No more. I adjusted my coil overs higher to get just .25 degree neg. from spec. Added miles to the rear tire life . FYI.

Only advice I can give for all you slammed dudes is to check your rear tires visualy every time you fill up with gas,or at least at regular intervals.At xpo every year i have attended we always see guys who are oblivious to the severe inner tire wear,because the outer tire looks so good.

Some you could see the air inside.:biggrin:

When I bought my car the left rear tire had belts showing :eek: lol

I have gotten the tire situation handled for now with some used ones from a friend but before I drop some coin on a nice set and refinish my wheels I wanna get the rear camber handled.

Back