• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

how to reduce complaints against police by 88%

+1 billion.

I would love to see this change. It would be good both for the officer and civilian. Sometimes the officer is in the right and a camera would back up him up. Other times, the civilian is in the right and this would keep the officer in check.

Another change I would love to see is that if an officer wrote an invalid ticket, if the ticket was dismissed or judgement was to the civilian than the police department would have to reimburse the amount of the ticket to the civilian. Right now, an officer has no penalty to issue a ticket unjustly. Many times I have seen an officer issue a ticket, and when it is proven they were incorrect, they reply that they should take it up in court. Then in court, the ticket is either dismissed or the officer doesn't contest it (or show up). The problem is most cases are seen during work hours in very inaccessible locations. The cost to actually fight the ticket in lost work hours, parking, etc. often exceeds the actual amount of the ticket. So that sets up a situation where it may cost you $200 to fight a $100 ticket. If you do the math, it just makes sense to just pay the ticket, even if it was unjust. That is a racket, because there is no penalty for the officer to write the ticket unjustly, and you will pay it because it's not worth fighting.

To fix this, I think it makes sense if you fight the ticket and win, you should get paid the value of the ticket. That has two benefits. First, it will make the officer issue tickets more judiciously and make sure the offense is valid. Tickets will then be issued for true infractions, rather than to just fill a quota or as a revenue generator. The second benefit is that now most people won't be stuck in the "cheaper to pay it" conundrum. Now a person who would normally lose $200 of wages for a $100 ticket can fight it and if they were found not guilty by the judge, they would win the cost of the ticket ($100) and saving having to pay the $100 ticket, so in the end they would be made whole again.

I know this will never be done, but I think this would be a great idea.

To fix this, I think it makes sense if you fight the ticket and win, you should get paid the value of the ticket. That has two benefits. First, it will make the officer issue tickets more judiciously and make sure the offense is valid. Tickets will then be issued for true infractions, rather than to just fill a quota or as a revenue generator. The second benefit is that now most people won't be stuck in the "cheaper to pay it" conundrum. Now a person who would normally lose $200 of wages for a $100 ticket can fight it and if they were found not guilty by the judge, they would win the cost of the ticket ($100) and saving having to pay the $100 ticket, so in the end they would be made whole again.

I know this will never be done, but I think this would be a great idea.

I would love to see this, but feel if you lose you should owe the court an additional fee for wasting their (our) time. In your scenario I can see a lot of people with "limited work responsibilities" challenging all tickets as they either lose and (theoretically) pay the fine they owed anyways, or win and make some $$$.

I don't trust people not to abuse the system. Most people are a$$wipes.

Several agencies in the Bay Area already wear body recorders to record their contacts - unfortunately they are activated and deactivated by the officer. So, if you had a bad apple, he could leave the recorder off and say what he wants, then turn the recorder on and come off like a polite gentleman dealing with the public. Also, many agencies have car cameras that are activated and record audio and video as soon as they activate their light bar or emergency equipment. That is useful footage too.

Back