• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to remove dried duct tape adhesive

Fct

Contributing Member
Anybody have experience removing dried tape adhesive on paint? There is a small amount on the paint... about 3" x 7". The rear light was damaged so we placed duct tape to seal the broken tail light temporarily.THANKS

I always keep a can of this around:
5166EWDYE8L._AA280_.jpg

Great stuff.

bug and tar remover from turtle wax works wonders. it also keeps a nice waxy shine afterwards.

MH802777.jpg

Last edited:
As a pro detailer recently acclaimed as one of the top in the nation by Autoweek Magazine I hope you can trust my opinion....:biggrin::wink:

Personally the best out there IMO is 3M Adhesive remover. It is clear coat safe and will melt the gunk away. I love it and use it all the time on many exotics and other vehicles that I detail to remove such issues from poor prep work at the dealer.

My second choice would be Goo Gone or the bug and tar remover as well, I would not use WD40 as it is not designed to be an adhesive remover and you'll have to completely strip off and cleanse the area afterward which you will not have to do with the others I suggested, however anything you use will remove any waxes that were protecting the paint so it's a good idea to rewax or seal those areas.

Josh

I tried this before and it actually worked. The adhesive from the duct tape slowly removes the dried duct tape residue a little bit with each pull.
Use Duct tape to remove adhesive. May take longer but will leave no residue of any kind.

Other option is to use chemical solvents already mentioned. Goo Gone works pretty good for most adhesive residues.

Some Wal-marts will carry 3M Adhesive and Wax Remover in a blue 12oz. spray can in the automotive paint section. It was $7.00, but it was on clearance at my Wally mart for $1 !! They are no longer carrying these in stock. Some store might have some left over.

3M Part No: 03618
Barcode No: 0051131036185

It is safe on paint and works great. But you want to test it out first for your situation.

I always used goo gone but good luck dealing with the terrible smell it always gives me headaches

Back