• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HOW TO: Vinyl wrap your roof in black

Ever hear of wrapping your car in vinyl instead of painting it? People are doing it all over the interweb. Here is my story with it...!

First of all, nobody ever taught me the benefits of wax or other things to properly "protect" paint. My b-pillars and roof were in great condition when I got my NSX over 2 years ago, but over the 2 years, they have faded and became EXTREMELY ugly. I painted my top white cause I liked the look and to fix the ugly fade. But I've been running around with faded b-pillars and door handles for over a year....

Here are the b-pillars in crappy blackberry phone pictures. (GF's dog pee'd on my camera and it stopped working)
IMG00229.jpg

IMG00230.jpg

You can't really see it... but let's just say it's bad and ugly.

So first of all, buy yourself some vinyl. I got mine from stickercity.com. The gloss black matches the berlina black perfectly.They also give you free tools (squeegee, razor knife, and air bubble poker).

Clean the area with windex and alcohol.
IMG00228.jpg

Measure and cut vinyl.
IMG00231.jpg

Brush all dush off again right before you apply (or it will get stuck under the sticker)
Apply the vinyl CAREFULLY.
Work out all the airbubbles with your thumb and the squeegee. If you have stubborn ones, use the needle that is sent with you to poke a hole, then use your thumb to take out the bubble.
IMG00232.jpg

IMG00233.jpg

Use a blow dryer or heatgun to heat the vinyl to stretch inside this convex part. It's amazing how much this stuff stretches.
IMG00234.jpg

Use your squeegee to press it down all the way on the edges.
IMG00235.jpg

IMG00236.jpg

2IMG00238.jpg

I missed a spec of sand or something... so there is a bump towards the bottom middle. I dont want to redo it.. so i'll live with it... this is a daily driver not a show car!
IMG00237.jpg

Start cutting ALONG or INSIDE the seams, to make sure that you do not cut into your paint or any rubber seals.
4IMG00239.jpg

IMG00240.jpg

Don't let this happen.
IMG00242.jpg

Be sure and cut out the air vent thing on the back of the pillar.
IMG00243.jpg

Finished result!!!! Check that out.... compare it to the FADED door handle and NSX triangle part.
IMG00247.jpg

NOW IT IS TIME FOR THE DOOR HANDLE

Wedge open the door handle with one side of a clothes pin.
IMG00250.jpg

Wrap it up.
IMG00251.jpg

Use something very thin and strong to press the vinyl into the crack (or just take off the door handle in the first place.. it'll come out way better)
IMG00255.jpg

Time to move onto the door handle triangle part.

Begin by cutting a square out for it, and then tracing the back to cut it (the less vinyl you have, the easier it is to wrap)
IMG00256.jpg

Cut the piece to your template.
IMG00257.jpg

Start cuttin'.
IMG00258.jpg

Done
IMG00261.jpg

1IMG00262.jpg

Well that's it. Sit back and give yourself a pat on the back. The only way you can tell the parts are different is if you try and use the black vinyl as a mirror to do your hair... cause the berlina black finish... you can do just that!

Take a few steps back.. and you cant even tell. day or night. It's great! If you want to do the top part of the roof.... it shouldn't be that difficult. Get a friend to help you.

Things to consider:
Have more people with you. Having an extra person to help stretch and press/hold the vinyl would help tremendously. It wasn't so bad for me alone, but if you were to do the roof, you'd want 1 or 2 other people.

Take off the door handles and wrap them properly. The corners of my door handles hit the vinyl because it bunches up on the corners cause I used the butter knife. When I do the passenger side, I might take them off.. depending on how lazy I am. =]

Well, there you have it. Tomorrow I'll have some REAL pictures as my girlfriend is coming over to help me with the passenger side. She's bringing her camera.

This turned out to be easier than I expected.... maybe it's time for a whole color change ;D

Enjoy!

PS.
Some A pillar paint chip faux removal on a budget.

Chips on the upper part of the end of the A pillar on the edge.
IMG00244.jpg

After some Sharpie touch up =D
IMG00246.jpg

Again, you can only tell if you know what to look for.

This could very well be one of the best write-ups ever on Prime.

But honestly, those are the worst pictures. :cool:

I appreciate the effort though.

Great write up! "Piss" poor pictures lol (pun intended)

I might just sell my carbon fiber B pillars and do the vinyl instead. What was total $$$ damage?

I wonder how well this stuff holds up. Since it's your daily driver and will get some good environmental exposure constantly, you will make a good guinea pig :)

Last edited:
I might just sell my carbon fiber B pillars and do the vinyl instead. What was total $$$ damage?

Even better, they have CF look vinyl now. But I have the same question if anyone has feedback. How long does it last? Will it fade after a year? Scratches? etc etc...:confused:

I have used vinyl on some of my other cars and it lasts for about 6 to 8 years. You have to be really careful how you cut it. If you slightly cut into a corner it will shrink and split. My other cars were not as nice as my X and I just wouldn't use it on this car because it would cheapen it to me. The vinyl is very inexspensive and a cheap fix. I just don't want cheap on this car because it's the nicest car I've owned. = My .02$ worth.

very cool but your pictures suck. You own an NSX but no camera??? Anyway thanks for the nice write up and link to where the vinyl can be purchased.

I dont think it "cheapens" the car. There is a post on here somewhere and many other boards of a Porsche GT completely covered in flat black vinyl and I believe I have seen some lambos do this too.

And if you dont want to do it yourself there are pros out there that will do it for you.

I would think about doing this (in red) during the track season just to save my paint from further damage but still looking good at the track.......:biggrin:

Even better, they have CF look vinyl now. But I have the same question if anyone has feedback. How long does it last? Will it fade after a year? Scratches? etc etc...:confused:

Eww yucky, CF look. I'd stick with plain black. I just like the solid construction of the oem part would actually just prefer having it look stock again if it means having a solidly assembled car once more.

2 weeks ago I saw up close a Black Porsche GT that belongs to CJ Wilson, relief pitcher for the Texas Rangers at Ruf Porsche in Carrolton Texas. It had been wrapped in a flat black vinyl that looked almost like primer. It was differrent, very distinct, but the "flat" look to the vinyl was not really appealing to me. The mechanic in the shop said it took 2 days to complete, was done really well, just that flat black was not for me.

Total was like 60 dollars. But I got 6 feet.... at 9.95 a foot. Wow, I just checked stickercity.com, and now they are charging 19.95 for a foot! I'm glad I bought it last month... lots of other sites sell it too, so shop around.

I'll be the perfect guinea pig! I daily drive it... and I don't have covered parking =] hopefully it will last.. but like the other person said... these things last a few years. I plan on painting my pillars white eventually. I've started to dislike the black pillar/white top look. Just need some monies.

very cool but your pictures suck. You own an NSX but no camera???
Hahaha.... girlfriend's puppy pee'd on my camera =[ Never leave your camear on the floor with a puppy out.

I snapped some better picture's with my girlfriend's camera today... but I forgot to get them off her comp.. so ill do that tomorrow.

Total was like 60 dollars. But I got 6 feet.... at 9.95 a foot. Wow, I just checked stickercity.com, and now they are charging 19.95 for a foot! I'm glad I bought it last month... lots of other sites sell it too, so shop around.

I see $3.50 a foot on stickercity.com for 15" x Linear Foot Color Vinyl Sticker Sheet -- must be a different product. The premium carbon fiber sticker sheet is $19.95. Which one did you use?

I see $3.50 a foot on stickercity.com for 15" x Linear Foot Color Vinyl Sticker Sheet -- must be a different product. The premium carbon fiber sticker sheet is $19.95. Which one did you use?

http://www.stickercity.com/solid-color-sheets/

I used the 60" x linear foot sheets. I was planning on doing the A pillar if it didn't match up.. but it did so i have all this vinyl left over. Maybe I should do my center console and door inserts in black...

WARNING about doing business with stickercity.com. DO NOT order the 15" wide sticker sheet expecting to get 15" of usable width. It has random holes punched all up and down the sides, making the useable width about 14" after you cut it off. Their response: "Yeah, well, that's the way it comes." :mad: Their shipping charges are pretty high, too. :frown:

In the future, I will see if I can buy vinyl locally.

Taylor's the goto-guy. . .

strawbry intro'd me a few weeks ago to her friend Taylor (N. Austin area) who does side-work w/ graphics/vinyl for a myriad of businesses/individuals locally. He's quite well-versed w/ vinyl cut-outs, overlays, graphics/banners/etc'. Here's his website w/ contact details: www.blairgraphix.com!

Taylor can likely get the right vinyl, precision cut/shape it, as well as likely install it as he has extensive experience w/ anything/everything automobile & motorcycle related. For those who are local/regional, I definitely recommend him for black vinyl overlaying for the NSX roof, A/B pillars, and even side mirror housing (if so desired). I'm sure he can even do larger body panels, as he has contacts to get larger width vinyl. Taylor is well-versed w/ different vinyl types (as some are better for curved surfaces vs. flat surfaces, climate/region, long-term durability, etc').

Back