• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

hp and autowave turbo kit

I like the placement of the turbo in both system and less piping. Any downside to this setup?

Henry.

Issues with HP fit and finish as well as getting all of the parts. The high visibility of the autowave unit.

I also like the intercooler placement on the hp turbo kit:

http://www.hpperformance.com/acuransxturbosystem.htm

I like everything about this kit.

It's a pity that they ruined their own reputation.

Henry.

Looking at the HP setup, another downside is that the intake pipe seems to parallel the rear bank header. The header heat would therefore be transmitted to the intake air. I think that may be why Cody elected to use longer tubing to keep it away from the rear header.

Why not just go Lovefab, the IC is still in the same place, the cover can still be used, it still uses gravity drain for the turbo oil line and although the tubing looks long, there is no significant delay and turbo response is still very good. I know that he sells it as a kit and I wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't be willing to fly to HK for the install:biggrin:

Looking at the HP setup, another downside is that the intake pipe seems to parallel the rear bank header. The header heat would therefore be transmitted to the intake air. I think that may be why Cody elected to use longer tubing to keep it away from the rear header.

Why not just go Lovefab, the IC is still in the same place, the cover can still be used, it still uses gravity drain for the turbo oil line and although the tubing looks long, there is no significant delay and turbo response is still very good. I know that he sells it as a kit and I wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't be willing to fly to HK for the install:biggrin:

Engine bay heat soak should not even be on your radar of concerns with either of these kits; the intake air is going through a super-heated turbocharger, if you had the coolest engine bay in the world the intake air would still be heated significantly prior to being cooled by your intercooler.

Even though it isn't an issue, the HP kit's intake element is NOT on top of the rear bank header, it's extended about a foot on an s-shaped pipe from the turbocharger, which is offset to the side (over the transmission), attached to a y-pipe. The total distance is nearly two feet between the intake element and the rear bank header (which is similar to the spacing between the intake element and y-pipe on the lovefab setup). Another way to think of the intake element location on the HP kit is the location of the stock coolant tank, but down about a foot, and slightly forward. Compare this to the lovefab location directly behind the rear tire, in the path of road debris, on the wrong side of the engine bay.

Engine bay temperatures should be the least with the HP performance kit, as all of the piping is ceramic coated to retain heat. This is either not available, or an option at additional cost, with other kits. The HP kit also has the shortest path of piping, which means quicker response, quicker spool, and more efficient turbocharger operation. If you look at dyno comparisons, the HP Performance kit spools the quickest, and makes great power - it has the best layout, the best placement, the best gravity feed, the best everything. It is the kit to purchase.

When I purchased my kit from HP performance it was missing minor fittings, but the piping fit perfectly. SOS (who sells their own supercharger systems), and Autowave (who sells their own turbocharger systems) say there are fittment concerns; if it were me, I would buy the HP kit and take the car to an exhaust fabricator first to prefit the components. Make sure the headers, y-pipe, turbo, etc. fit and make adjustments if necessary. If you're up to the task, you could decide to only buy the "hot side" components from HP, and piece the kit together yourself.

The low cost of the HP kit makes it appealing, but even if the cost were the same, or higher, it's the best layout and offers several real advantages over other options.

Engine bay heat soak should not even be on your radar of concerns with either of these kits; the intake air is going through a super-heated turbocharger, if you had the coolest engine bay in the world the intake air would still be heated significantly prior to being cooled by your intercooler.

Even though it isn't an issue, the HP kit's intake element is NOT on top of the rear bank header, it's extended about a foot on an s-shaped pipe from the turbocharger, which is offset to the side (over the transmission), attached to a y-pipe. The total distance is nearly two feet between the intake element and the rear bank header (which is similar to the spacing between the intake element and y-pipe on the lovefab setup). Another way to think of the intake element location on the HP kit is the location of the stock coolant tank, but down about a foot, and slightly forward. Compare this to the lovefab location directly behind the rear tire, in the path of road debris, on the wrong side of the engine bay.

Engine bay temperatures should be the least with the HP performance kit, as all of the piping is ceramic coated to retain heat. This is either not available, or an option at additional cost, with other kits. The HP kit also has the shortest path of piping, which means quicker response, quicker spool, and more efficient turbocharger operation. If you look at dyno comparisons, the HP Performance kit spools the quickest, and makes great power - it has the best layout, the best placement, the best gravity feed, the best everything. It is the kit to purchase.

When I purchased my kit from HP performance it was missing minor fittings, but the piping fit perfectly. SOS (who sells their own supercharger systems), and Autowave (who sells their own turbocharger systems) say there are fittment concerns; if it were me, I would buy the HP kit and take the car to an exhaust fabricator first to prefit the components. Make sure the headers, y-pipe, turbo, etc. fit and make adjustments if necessary. If you're up to the task, you could decide to only buy the "hot side" components from HP, and piece the kit together yourself.

The low cost of the HP kit makes it appealing, but even if the cost were the same, or higher, it's the best layout and offers several real advantages over other options.
You left out any comparisons of the HP kit to the Autowave kit. Most on the forum regard that to be the best option for the NSX (money not an issue). Care to explain the pro's and con's of both? This thread is meant to compare the two and not the lovefab product.

Back